Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ecoboost coolant consumption

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
View: https://youtu.be/ontf6Ev9o5s

Watched this this morning. This is on a 1.6t escape. He talks about it affecting all the ecoboosts.
Watch your coolant reservoir*

I look at mine whenever the hood gets popped. That's all you can do other than a Blackstone Laboratories oil test every oily change!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
On the FiSTs that got recalled for this, they rigged up a light to warn you when the coolant is low. They didn't fix the actual problem, which was a crappy cylinder head that caused a hot spot that warped the head. That got redesigned around '15.

Mine is finally a little low after 4 years and 36,000.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
WOW!....amazing we don't have hundreds of complaints on the internet! But it is his opinion, I can't find any agreement with him on the web but he is entitled to his opinion. He talks about modding the cooling system but does not mention if the recall was done or why he previously modded the cooling system. Nothing on the internet on his claim of high failure rates on the 4 Cyl blocks but some listings on high hp block cracks. Sounds like somebody did not do the recall on this one. Looks like he has taken this customer to the cleaners several times for this problem. Seems to miss the info on the web about the high reliability ratings on the Eco boost engines worldwide or the recall on that engine like early FiST's. Any so called mechanic that thinks modifying a cooling system that worked fine for many years to correct an overheating, coolant eating car engine issue is a bad joke!

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
WOW!....amazing we don't have hundreds of complaints on the internet! But it is his opinion, I can't find any agreement with him on the web but he is entitled to his opinion. He talks about modding the cooling system but does not mention if the recall was done or why he previously modded the cooling system. Nothing on the internet on his claim of high failure rates on the 4 Cyl blocks but some listings on high hp block cracks. Sounds like somebody did not do the recall on this one. Looks like he has taken this customer to the cleaners several times for this problem. Seems to miss the info on the web about the high reliability ratings on the Eco boost engines worldwide or the recall on that engine like early FiST's. Any so called mechanic that thinks modifying a cooling system that worked fine for many years to correct an overheating, coolant eating car engine issue is a bad joke!
The 1.6 in the '14 Escape was the same engine as in the FiST, just not as powerful.
For that small SUV, it was an adequate engine, but it had the same fatal flaw the '14 FiST had: A poorly-designed water jacket in the head that left a hot spot when you shut it down. Some of them got fried.
There was a recall on the FiST, which wasn't a real fix, as explained in my previous post.
FiSTs got the recall because the owners didn't drive their cars like it was an SUV. They drove it like it was a turbocharged hot hatch, and some of them broke right away. Escapes, not so much.
That particular problem is not an issue in any 1.6 or 1.5 built in or after '15. They redesigned the head and removed the hot spot.

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
The 1.6 in the '14 Escape was the same engine as in the FiST, just not as powerful.
For that small SUV, it was an adequate engine, but it had the same fatal flaw the '14 FiST had: A poorly-designed water jacket in the head that left a hot spot when you shut it down. Some of them got fried.
There was a recall on the FiST, which wasn't a real fix, as explained in my previous post.
FiSTs got the recall because the owners didn't drive their cars like it was an SUV. They drove it like it was a turbocharged hot hatch, and some of them broke right away. Escapes, not so much.
That particular problem is not an issue in any 1.6 or 1.5 built in or after '15. They redesigned the head and removed the hot spot.
The Escape 1.6 was part of the recall. I checked before my comment on him modding the cooling system. The actual failure rate of the heads was very low, NHTSA issues all safety related recalls and approved the fix proposed by Ford for safety issues. The were about 12 engine fires reported but the actual failure rate was so low replacing heads was not even debated. The heads did not fail unless the coolant level got low so NHTSA approved the cooling system so called "fix" to resolve the issue. I have not seen anymore fires reported so I'm pretty sure NHTSA considers it a dead issue now. Many people on the forum were upset they could not get the new head on demand but it was not the issue.

The problem with the fool on the video is he does not say if the recall was done and he admits to doing a "mod" on the cooling system previously, another idiot with a video camera. I'm glad I waited until 2016 to buy mine but had got burned on new models (GM Regal Turbo) before. So I waited for the kinks to get worked out on the Fist. My '16 has been flawless except for blend door and Sync 3 that could not be updated was replaced. We have an Escape 1.6 and 2 FiST's in the family all have been great and the other 2 have never seen a Ford dealer since purchased nor has the Coyote Mustang. Ford reliability has always been great since my first new ones in 1979. (Capri RS 2.3LTurbo and a 5.0 Mustang Indy Pace car) I also recognize a good friend has had the same stellar reliability from his Chevy's over the same time period.
I hate Ford haters like this shade tree mechanic with their BS videos. We on this Forum have had no rash of failed head or blocks. If anything it has shown to be pretty rugged with the many running mods. If it was an issue we would hear about it here. Our biggest complaints continues to be Blend door issues and when one of mine died I noticed no decrease in performance, LOL! I do worry in another 4-5 years I may need to have the intake/valves cleaned. So what? I can afford it and still see no suitable replacement for my Fifi!

FiST ON.

Last edited:
So my 95k mile 2013 FiST has started consuming coolant about a month ago (need to add about a cup or two per day). The engine is completely stock, has had the recall done (80C thermostat, coolant level sensor, etc.) but did require the head to come off in June last year due to a seized spark plug. The head was reconditioned, and piston rings replaced since they were quite sticky. It was driving great for about 5 months after the rebuild.

I've seen enough evidence in my region (and UK forums) that my coolant loss could be related to the deck deformation which compromises the head gasket in the area between the cylinders. In high-HP cars, the UK guys have seen many block failures due to a cracked liner close to the deck. Pumaspeed have some possible solutions, but its hard to say if it will solve the problem for good.

Ford changed the design of the 2.0 and 1.5 Ecoboost engine blocks to remove the slot between the cylinders after all the failures (the 2.0T history is quite interesting, going from a closed deck, to open-deck, and then back to a semi-closed deck design). But Ford opted to discontinue the 1.6T since most applications moved to the 1.5 Ecoboost, so no new block design is available for the 1.6.

AdamBrunson/TunedPlus(?) was looking at using the 1.5 EB block on the 1.6, since it is virtually identical, but he hasn't posted any updates in over a year.
View: https://youtu.be/O11vR9pwAmg?t=146
. ^^This might be a viable solution if they can work out the details.

When my mechanic opens up again in a week or two I'll have him pull the head and assess the damage. He's also shown me a block which he has resleeved, but I'm not convinced that's the solution either. In the mean time, I bit the bullet and got a 2022 Honda Fit, :p.