Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hard bar shift knob I am looking into, taller, aluminum or delrin...contacted them for ST fitment

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club

I might go with the aluminum version if not to hot when the sun hits it.

I like the one on the left, performance first for me over style, taller for easier to reach and compensate for my very short shifter mod where I planned to use a longer knob.

I also raised the whole shifter close to 2.5" so the total height gain might be around 5". I will be doing many track events and a solid, closer to grab, right shape knob is a huge advantage over a stock setup. I have stiffent the mounting area, made my own cable bushings and SS.

I contacted them about machining the bottom to work with the reverse lockout and and if they are interested in selling ST ones here, group buy, etc....

I have one from my old race vette I loved but just not right for this car or I would use it.

Let me know what you think:)

The site for all their knobs is:

http://shop.productinnovationsonline.com/Shift-knobs-All-Cars_c2.htm?page=all

Note:
I am not into this to make money, I am doing this because I want a knob that fits my needs and to make them available to my fellow enthusiasts:)

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Count me in. I have the Breedt blue shift knob made out of aluminum and it can get really hot on the drive home from work. I like the weight of the aluminum, but it needs a delrin cover, if possible.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
They make delrin or aluminum but not together. I will go with the regular aluminum if not to hot or black delrin if so, I asked them to let me know.

TheStig

Count me in. I have the Breedt blue shift knob made out of aluminum and it can get really hot on the drive home from work. I like the weight of the aluminum, but it needs a delrin cover, if possible.
Get a small crown royal bag, thats what i always used. Looks good and functions great,

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I went one better and put a car cover on the whole car. Cuts down on the inside Temps and reduces the amount of washing.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
I got a response from the company and they will do whatever we want but I have to see it they want a certain number buy style or can do any style with the reverse lockout.....

I am going to get the one I showed made that works with the lockout for sure but honestly really do not need that function, 46 years of manual trans experience and never backed into anything unintentionally:)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
If you go to the site they have them all listed, not sure all show the weight though but the highest I saw in aluminum was 13 oz, pretty heavy for a shift knob.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
I do not like to deal with car covers and would not put a bag over my shifter and drive that way but pulling it off each time I park in the sun, not so bad...I will have 20 percent tint all over as well and may do a windshield banner tint though I have wasted money on those when get a cracked windshield within a week or so...

The aluminum knob would look better and it is heavier though in the big one I want it might be a bit overkill and I have spent some serious time and money taking weight off the car.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
As soon and I hear back as to what ones we can get that can be made to fit out cars with the reverse lookout and how many he needs total or per size, etc I will start a GB or whatever thread we need to do this.

-------------------

I will post this on the first thread as well.

I am not into this to make money, I am doing this because I want a knob that fits my needs and to make them available to my fellow enthusiasts:)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
I have not heard back from them, might of been an email glitch, I will try again now that I finally have my car up and running, really well:)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
A longer knob will lengthen the shift throws a bit, just making sure that was noted.

I have a simple way to raise the shifter using a long bolt called at coupling nut.

Remove the sides of the console, not hard to do, unbolt the base from the floor, add the nuts, part way down and then bolt the base back on using some regular bolts.
You can add shims under the coupling nuts so ensure it stays stiffer and tight to help ensure a solid feel.

You can also add shims on top of the coupling nuts and use longer bolts to raise it more.

I did part of mine the hard way before I thought of this, split the bass and made parts to raise it up but only got it up around 1.25" so I then thought of the nuts, which I had because the first job took quite a few hours of fabrication work, the nuts are easy compared to it.

This is a very simple, very low cost, low weight mod that puts the shifter in a much better position and I never elbow the console lid.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
Does it work with the reverse lockout?

Now that I am actually driving the car I am feeling less need for the lockout and might just make a custom boot without it and get a knob ready to use.

That one looks pretty dang good, I have to review my notes to ensure it is the right diameter and pitch to mount to the stock rod.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
After 9 track sessions last weekend I only missed one shift and it was caused by passing a car on one side and a monster car on the other blasting by, I got a bit distracted. My shifter sits around 2.75-3.0" taller than stock and is shorter throw than the aftermarket kits and very precise with all bushings, mounts, etc replaced. I can live with the stock shifter just fine but might have to still try a taller one as it was always in the plans.