Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hard to control my FiST E30 tune Falken ZE960 tires

DO NOT TRY TO CORRECT FOR THE TORQUE STEER. Because Ford has a Stability Control scheme that will do that for you. However the Ford program is just a touch slow to react so you will feel a twitch. If you try and correct for that twitch you can get into a Positive Feedback loop that just escalates into stronger and stronger effects.

BTW I learned this lesson when I first got my FiST, at one point I only put 87 octane into the tank to limit the horsepower. Once I started to actually trust the Stability Control I switched to 93 octane and have no fear at all about burrying the throttle in 1st and 2nd. Yeah, it will get a bit twitchy on certain pavements where brief loss of traction on either tire takes place but it is 100% controlable if you just hold the wheel steady and let it twitch.

There are all sorts of tricks. I think dodge srt4’s had the simplest solution - equal length halfshafts, no torque steer.
I loved my old SRT4, it was such a fun car for the money and was capable of pretty stupid power before anything become a liability.

As for the OP, learn how to drive the car. It's a 200tq car so it's far from neck breaking and shouldn't be that difficult to reign in. I'd start by putting stickier rubbers on it and go from there.

Last edited:

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
DO NOT TRY TO CORRECT FOR THE TORQUE STEER. Because Ford has a Stability Control scheme that will do that for you. However the Ford program is just a touch slow to react so you will feel a twitch. If you try and correct for that twitch you can get into a Positive Feedback loop that just escalates into stronger and stronger effects.

BTW I learned this lesson when I first got my FiST, at one point I only put 87 octane into the tank to limit the horsepower. Once I started to actually trust the Stability Control I switched to 93 octane and have no fear at all about burrying the throttle in 1st and 2nd. Yeah, it will get a bit twitchy on certain pavements where brief loss of traction on either tire takes place but it is 100% controlable if you just hold the wheel steady and let it twitch.
heh yeah it just eats tires and front brakepads :p

Sam4

Shoulda just got a SES and saved a lot of time.....could use 87 ALL the time. I fear NOT burying the pedal.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
ah good to know. the primary appeal of the s280 to me wasnt so much the added power but power delivery itself. really liked how it muted a lot of torque on the low end, even compared to COBB ots stage 2 tune (just bolts on).

I wonder what one can do to add more power on the s280 while not increasing torque all that much.
Just gotta ask your tuner to avoid that massive torque spike. Some will reverse taper the boost. Check out some of Jason's dynos he's posted, they're all super linear hp and torque curves even with ethanol blends.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
A wise move. If you don't want to or can't control the torque steer, don't bury your right foot. You have to be prepared for it at all times.