Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hard to Shift into Specific Gears & Clutch Occasionally Sticks to Floor

(67k km, 2014 st) Over the past two years my gears have become progressively harder to shift into, specifically third being the hardest. It first started with third feeling like it had a little bit more friction and now once in awhile, if I do not rev match while down shifting, it will not let me in the gear. This has progressed to the point where first sometimes is hard to get into and all the gears in general are not feeling as smooth to shift into (odd gears more so). Also, just recently under heavier use my clutch will get stuck to the floor with only a small amount of travel allowed and it will be extremely hard to get into any gear. I have replaced my transmission fluid and that made no difference. Some days it feels like it shifts much better than other days.

I am wondering if anyone has had this issue? First thing that comes to mind would be to flush the brake fluid, after that possibly master or slave cylinder. Let me know what you think is the problem! Thanks.

Ps: I have maybe ground a gear once and I do not track the car.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Sounds like master/slave cylinder. They do go out sometimes.

It's tough to tell unless you can see a leak. Take a look at the pedal under the dash and try to feel around for wetness. You can also try shining a flashlight at the piping from the engine bay side too. For the slave cylinder, you can try to jack it up and take a look at the pipe leading into the bellhousing, and check for wetness between the bellhousing and the engine block. Unfortunately that doesn't guarantee anything, however because you have to remove the transmission to replace the slave cylinder you could try replacing the master and crossing your fingers.

OP
M
Thread Starter #5
It's tough to tell unless you can see a leak. Take a look at the pedal under the dash and try to feel around for wetness. You can also try shining a flashlight at the piping from the engine bay side too. For the slave cylinder, you can try to jack it up and take a look at the pipe leading into the bellhousing, and check for wetness between the bellhousing and the engine block. Unfortunately that doesn't guarantee anything, however because you have to remove the transmission to replace the slave cylinder you could try replacing the master and crossing your fingers.
Great thanks! I will have to go search for a guide on how to replace it!