Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hate the Recaro head restraints? Here's my fix

flivver

Hey all, longtime lurker, first time poster. I've had my FiST for about 6 weeks and love the car. Except the headrests, that is. Fortunately I found a solution that takes 5 minutes, cost me $120, and solves the problem. Some base-model 3rd-gen Focus (2012-up in US) seats have head restraints that ratchet forward for a fore/aft adjustment. Fortunately for us, the posts are 5 15/16" apart and 14mm diameter. They drop right in. There are other posts here about how to remove the head restraint, so I won't go into that.

I found a junk yard with a crashed 2012 Focus, and paid $120 for a pair of black 'leather' head rests. Honestly I probably overpaid a bit, as they aren't real leather. Oh well. They needed a good scrubbing, but that was no big deal.

I've driven with them in for a few days and my back/neck already feel much better. I can sit back and use the top of the seatback now (couldn't before), and I can adjust the seat back more upright as I prefer. The ones I got are black pleather with gray stitching that matches the seats perfectly. The only downside I see is the Focus headrests are slightly wider than the Recaro ones, so they won't adjust all the way down to the bottom position. Oh well, I'm *much* more comfortable with these, and I hope you will be too.

Driver side done, passenger side with the original Recaro head restraint:

Original Recaro head restraint, to show forward tilt:

Focus head restraint at full-forward adjustment (cloth headrest borrowed from a coworker):

Focus head restraint at full-rearward adjustment (cloth headrest borrowed from a coworker):

Focus head restraint, before cleaning:

...and after cleaning:

I also couldn't stand the stock headrest position. I found a set of used "leather" headrests from a 2014 Fiesta Titanium. Fit is spot on with the recaros and they are significantly thinner, so no more bumping me in the back of the head. They are a pretty close match for the factory recaro leather and all of the height positions work as well.

Attachments

Not bad but I think I’d rather buy some base headrests for less money, then have an upholstery shop cover them in leather to match the stock Recaro headrests.

Maybe I’ll try that on mine and post up some pics.