Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hellaflush and Stancing banned in Quebec

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Technically, this is illegal in California as well.
I falls under "Altered Suspension" in the vehicle code.

Most of these cars have body/chassis parts that are lower than the rim edge and that is what makes them illegal.

Just gives the cops more probable cause to pull you over.

Dave

I could not care less because I think hella flush is dangerous and stupid... stancing up to a certain limit is good looking but totally not practical...
anyway bravo Qu?bec it does not affect me as I like my cars to handle well

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
Have you ever tried to drive on the roads in any metro. area in Quebec? stancing there is murder to the car. wait driving there at all is murder to the car.

I know I don't even want to drop the car ( spring, coilover) due to bad roads and snow
lol i agree, i've driven through montreal before and omg the roads are crazy.... but this year... toronto is as bad with the amount of constructions and pot holes -_-;

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
It is always the extreme segment that brings crap down on the rest of us, extreme power, extreme street racing, extreme rice, extreme lifted trucks, they cause to much attention upon all modded cars and then we all pay a price, I know, I have lived through decades of modding cars and watched things get worse and worse, mods and results and I have paid the price, heavily, for just having a nicely modded car I was simply cruising in.

I actually laughed out loud when I found out they wrote "hellaflush" into their law.

Also this is stupid, except in the winter. Enforcing this in the summer is a waste of time. In the winter, it's akin to states that require chains on tires in mountain passes certain times of the year. It's just a general safety thing.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Ya don't need to be extreme to be wrong .. Any street racing is wrong
Exactly this. I know of at least three accidents from the end of Mustang week, and none of the vehicles appeared to be extreme in any way. Just normal people with some added performance and a need to show off.

lol i agree, i've driven through montreal before and omg the roads are crazy.... but this year... toronto is as bad with the amount of constructions and pot holes -_-;
+2 for the shitty driving in Montreal. I also the find the drivers there to be atrocious.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Absolutely, I have seen far to many accidents and deaths, innocent bystanders, etc....caused by lack of self control in public places.

------------------

The issue with the extreme appearing vehicles is they bring to much focus on the rest of the modded cars and trucks, they are a part of the problem, not all of it. I have always modded my cars in ways to make them work better and just be cleaner looking, not grab attention everywhere they go but they do get attention from those that understand such taste in mods but I do it for my self, not for others. Extreme mods are far more often done to get attention over all else, unfortunately they get too much of the wrong kind of attention far to often, the kind that is used against the rest of us, especially when the media gets involved.

Taking a look at the bigger picture helps this make sense, we are a community and thus what we do effects the community, we are on public roads, what we do in public effects the community as well and not always in ways that is good for it.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Absolutely, I have seen far to many accidents and deaths, innocent bystanders, etc....caused by lack of self control in public places.

Taking a look at the bigger picture helps this make sense, we are a community and thus what we do effects the community, we are on public roads, what we do in public effects the community as well and not always in ways that is good for it.
Exactly this. Taking a look at the bigger picture would show that if Quebec was actually trying to enhance safety then they would be banning performance modifications and/or performance cars-not simply stanced vehicles. Creating policies based on a perceived safety risk as opposed to looking at where the truly 'dangerous' vehicles are only sets precedence to ban other personal choices.

The issue with the extreme appearing vehicles is they bring to much focus on the rest of the modded cars and trucks, they are a part of the problem, not all of it. I have always modded my cars in ways to make them work better and just be cleaner looking, not grab attention everywhere they go but they do get attention from those that understand such taste in mods but I do it for my self, not for others. Extreme mods are far more often done to get attention over all else, unfortunately they get too much of the wrong kind of attention far to often, the kind that is used against the rest of us, especially when the media gets involved.
Do you not realize that, while it's not in your preference, that others may actually want their cars to look that way? I can believe show-only vehicles to be created for attention (it wouldn't make sense to think otherwise), but many people that stance their vehicle do it because that is their taste-not because of trying to get attention. I can guarantee that there will be someone with your exact mentality in a different sector of the car community that will say the same thing about you and your mods.

There are some decent responses in the discussion area of people that actually are thinking of the larger picture-

"How unsafe is it, actually? Can you back that up? How many accidents are caused by lowered cars with excessive negative camber and stretched tires? I've simply never seen a single accident caused by one of these now-illegal cars, and I assume that's due to the fact that the owners simply care more about their vehicles than the average driver and their modifications force them to be attentive."

" I also used to own a lifted truck. I feel that lifted trucks should be outlawed before lowered cars. Have you ever seen an accident with a lifted truck. I'll give you an example. Last year one ran over a car and killed all 4 people inside. Let's see a lowered car or sports car do that..."

"I actually have a very serious issue with this. It states the car needs to be left stock. That's simply what it states. What "guidelines" are they using to determine hellaflush or is it up to the officers' discretion? So if i lower my car 1 inch and upgrade 1 inch on the wheels, technically, it is illegal according to this new law. I don't like that at all."

" The only problem is the devil is in the interpretation or details of the wording. Now if theyre trying to say my IS300 which has been tastefully modified which can hold the road better and stop better by a significant margin over a stock IS300 is now going to be illegal...then we have a problem. I think they need to establish a minimum ride height, a maximum camber angle, and a tire to rim width ratio and leave it at that."

Besides, when has outlawing something ever actually made it disappear? If anything I would say it creates more of a demand, though that's only supported by my kids and everything I've told them not to do.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Since we know our governments, media, etc....is going to just keep digging away at what we can do to our vehicles and in many cases rightly so but it brings the heat down on all of us.

My post is about getting the wrong kind of attention, go to wild in any direction, get attention, not always a good thing. I think it has far more to do with getting looked at that than some might want to agree upon but that is fine, my point is still the same. We love to mod cars, and trucks, I have done it all my life and plan to always do it but will always do so that I can enjoy it without being harassed or bringing the heat down on all modded cars.

Example:
I had a highly modified Vette convertible, I built it the way I wanted it but it got so much attention, mostly positive, it made me uncomfortable driving it as it was not what it was for. It also got me a couple of totally BS tickets that cost a great deal of money, simply because I was driving a really good looking Vette and I was just putting around. Both were just to make money and why not hammer a guy in a fancy car, he must be able to pay and maybe I am out hooning around, not, little did they know I worked my arse off for many many years before I could even dream of having a car like that.
I sold it because it got to much attention, good and bad and it was simply to fast to drive all out except on a race course but there are no safe roll bars made so I would not take it there, it was pretty much a useless but pretty pile of money taking up shop space in the end.

It was not the first or last vehicle I have had BS tickets in when just cruising around due to the perception that any modded car must mean it is a menace, a good way to make the gov some money, etc.......it all starts from overly done things whether they are safe, unsafe, done for personal preference or to get attention. In the end it is all the same thing, it brings more heat down on us all which means it becomes bigger than just our own personal satisfaction.