Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Help Me Pick New Suspension

Definitely considered the B6s but was under the impression the b8s are more aggressive and for lower cars? Since Bilstein offers the same part # b6 and b8 for the regular fiesta and the st figured I'd go with the more aggressive, lower option since we are a little lower than the regular fiesta. Or do I have this all wrong?
It's definitely one of the more budget friendly options.
1 inch drop in front and .8 inch in the rear

I drive my car for fun and seek out challenging and fun roads throughout the country. So far the Bilstein B8’s and Mountune springs perform exactly as advertised. I have no need to adjust anything nor do I want to. No corrosion worries either. Plug and play 👊

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
That was a very biased reaction by the person that posted the differences. In fact the differences he posted had nothing to do with how the rode and everything to do with the supposed durability in an area that does salt its roads. Thing is even though he says he did not drive the car in the winter Salt does not easily wash away and once you do get some on/in your car its extremely hard to get rid of.
In fact its so hard that cars that run Bonneville Salt flats actually get dissembled completely and gone over excessively after each time out on the flats.
I am not trying to start controversy here just stating that while the person had a problem its one of hundreds of thousands that run ST springs and coilovers with no problems . You never here from the happy people you only here from the people with problems.
That was/is me. My reaction wasn't biased at all; I have no skin in the game not having any interest in either ST/KW or YCW. My experience is pretty easily explained: I own a set of ST XTA's, the springs corroded enough during 3 years and ~ 7500 miles that one failed and the others appeared to be close to failing (I posted the pictured), attempted to make a warranty claim only to be lied to and ignored by ST/KW, and took them off my car and replaced them with YCW's with Swift springs.

The coilover hardware included with the XTA's is far inferior to that of any other set of coilovers that I've owned, including the YCW's: plastic threaded perches, a set screw instead of a locking ring, lots of grit and grime traps in the spring stack. The dampeners seem to be fine except, again, grit and grime traps. The coating on the dampeners is thin and did not weather well. The YWCs have a nice, evenly coat of something tough, come with traditional coilover hardware (metal perches and locking ring, clean spring stack), and the height adjustment is separate from the spring pre-load, as I'm accustomed. Swift springs are top notch.

I didn't compare the ride or handling to avoid an apples/oranges comparison; the ST XTA's are sprung for the street and have progressive springs (in the back) and I specifically ordered racey linear springs with the YCW's. I will say, after having the YCW/Swift setup for some time, I much prefer the ride and handling of a linear setup.

If you drive someplace *that never salts*, the ST/KW springs might be fine, although they are cheaply built and poorly priced given the alternatives. If not, don't buy them. I never drove my FiST in salted conditions and usually unwrapped it pretty late into the spring. Even so, the residual salt on the road rusted though the springs that ST/KW uses on th XT, the XTA and the KW variants. The springs are sub-par.

There is a lot more to it than corrosion resistance. Its a bigger deal for me on my year round and daily because I have almost always lived in the salty MN or no salt but more wicked ND winters. The Meister R stuff looks pretty good as well. I know almost nothing about those either. The YCW components all look premium or close to it. The description and sales pitch in the vendor thread is very well done. I would love to see a set first hand or ride in a car with them.

My main point to the PO was that if you are budgeting $900 I would either buy a little cheaper but still good shock/spring combo. Or stretch that $900 to more like 1100-1200 and get some decent probably really good coils. In my experience no shock/spring combo no matter how good it is offers the ride flexibility that a decent set of coilovers offer. The adjustability of the ride height, and maybe the dampers depending on what you get, is worth a little extra even if you basically only adjust once out of the box to get things set how you want.

Not ripping the ST's at all, I bought them and was just slightly/barely disappointed. I would/will be investigating the YCW and Meister more and anything else I don't know much about for this car. Looks like there are some good non big name options. I cant justify $2k+ for coils for this car.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #25
After realizing I can't get the regular Fiesta b14s through an authorized dealer, I'm leaning towards the ISC basic street sport coils. 5 year warranty. $861 and 6k/4k spring rates.

I don't think I can get a deal on the BCs if I switch from the default 5k/3k rates and they only have a 1 year warranty.

Figure I can be a little different

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
After realizing I can't get the regular Fiesta b14s through an authorized dealer, I'm leaning towards the ISC basic street sport coils. 5 year warranty. $861 and 6k/4k spring rates.

I don't think I can get a deal on the BCs if I switch from the default 5k/3k rates and they only have a 1 year warranty.

Figure I can be a little different

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I haven't had any issues with the BRs over 60k. Ping Joe @ 2JR - they may offer different springs to go with them.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #27
I haven't had any issues with the BRs over 60k. Ping Joe @ 2JR - they may offer different springs to go with them.
Yes but beyond my $1k budget. The BCs are a close 2nd though. I feel like ISC has enough warranty and satisfaction guarantees to keep me confident

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Yes but beyond my $1k budget. The BCs are a close 2nd though. I feel like ISC has enough warranty and satisfaction guarantees to keep me confident
Hmm... Unless the prices went up, my recollection is that I paid about $1k for the 4 corners with "custom" valving.