Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Help me to choose winter Tire Setup!!

Wich Combo of Wheels and tire do you choose for you Fiesta ST?

• OEM wheel + Bridgestone Blizzak WS80

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • New 16" Wheel + 195/50R16 Toyo Garit KX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New 16" Wheel + 195/50R16 Toyo Observe GSi-5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New 16" Wheel + 195/50R16 Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 (No Stud)

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • New 16" Wheel + 195/50R16 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
Hello Guys,

I'm looking for Combo wheels and tires for the winter, but my choice is not made.

Option #1:

I will keep my stock wheel for the winter and I bought a new set of wheel for the next summer probably (Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2)

On the stock wheel I will put Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 (205/40R17).

Option #2 a/b:

I will keep my stock wheels for the summer.

I will bought new wheels in 15" or 16" to reduce a little bit the cost of the tire.

With these set up there have more choice of tire:

- Hakkapeliita R2 (195/55R15)
- Hakkapeliita R2 (195/50R16)

Feel free to share your comment and your personal experience or setup.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Will winter tires OEM size do as well as the 16 inch option in the snow? I have the same problem right now. I don't want to run my stock wheels in the winter so I'm trying to decide on what size to run in the winter, and what tires.

Not trying to hijack your thread.

OP
Charest2394
Thread Starter #4
Will winter tires OEM size do as well as the 16 inch option in the snow? I have the same problem right now. I don't want to run my stock wheels in the winter so I'm trying to decide on what size to run in the winter, and what tires.

Not trying to hijack your thread.
It's OK I have the same interrogation was it the performance of a Winter tire in the OEM size is it work great or the same of a 16" tire?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Rule of thumb for winter Snow tires is Skinny is better (narrow bites down into the snow wide floats on top is the thinking) So a 16 195 or 185 would in therory work better. I had a set of Hakk's R2 and they were Awesome in the snow and even better in the slushy crap that is around until the plows get out. Wish they would have fit but were a tad too tall and rubbed. So settled for the old style WS60 blizzak which are ok but there are better tires out now ..

YIN

I'm using 16/50/195 Pirelli Winter 210 Snowcontrol Serie 3

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Rule of thumb for winter Snow tires is Skinny is better (narrow bites down into the snow wide floats on top is the thinking) So a 16 195 or 185 would in therory work better. I had a set of Hakk's R2 and they were Awesome in the snow and even better in the slushy crap that is around until the plows get out. Wish they would have fit but were a tad too tall and rubbed. So settled for the old style WS60 blizzak which are ok but there are better tires out now ..
Why did they rub? You were lower than stock?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Why did they rub? You were lower than stock?
Tire was the wrong size as I was trying to carry it over from my FRS. They were a smidge to tall on full turn so I sold them and got a deal on close outs at tire rack so I went that route with 15's

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
For price, you can't beat the General Artic-Max tires. You don't have them listed, but you should give them a look. I was told to try them by a number of Rally America drivers at the Sno*Drift as they use them in competition. I ran a set on my 2011 Fiesta and loved them! My brother runs them on his Focus and a friend uses them on his Focus ST. All of us have taken our cars in places no FWD car should go while spectating at the Sno*Drift. Last winter we had record snow fall with something like 170" with many storms dropping in excess of 12" over night. I only got stuck once with a storm that dumped 18" of snow with drifts that were over 36" tall. My Fiesta just could not handle snow that was up to the headlights. My wife's AWD Escape on snow tires even struggled with conditions that bad. I will be buying another set of them on 15" wheels for the ST next month.

Oh, I ran a ST on OE 17" wheels with OE sized Blizzaks and they were no match for the Artic-Max tires. The tires were too wide and the wheels were constantly packed with snow due to their large diameter and open spoke design. I would avoid that combo at all costs. Stick with a 15" wheel to maximize side wall and reduce the amount of snow pack in the wheels.

With a few hours left, I figured some additional winter testing was needed #fiestamovement by Bryan Redeker BRGT350, on Flickr

Trying to determine if I actually need winter tires down here or not, or just a set of all seasons. Considering it might snow a grand total of once each season. [:p]

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Trying to determine if I actually need winter tires down here or not, or just a set of all seasons. Considering it might snow a grand total of once each season. [:p]
All I can say is look at the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 for a wet and cold weather tire though they don't rate well in the snow I LOVE them in the Rain and think they are better than the factory tires and pretty close to my DZll's in the dry I you don't get snow you really don't need the investment in snow tires. maybe look for a tweener tire as I call them and if it snows take a snow day ... lol

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I run summers all year, but I'm a little further south. I shouldn't and should get a set off all-seasons, but I probably won't. It only snows down here for three days or so, so I just allow a ton of following distance if I absolutely have to go out.

Yeah, was debating on that actually, although when I last took the car in for service, it looks like 15k miles is going to be my changing point from the stock tires. When it snows or ices I just work from home so no worries there.
[MENTION=9]rodmoe[/MENTION] Was considering those tires as well as my replacements in general.

OP
Charest2394
Thread Starter #15
For price, you can't beat the General Artic-Max tires. You don't have them listed, but you should give them a look. I was told to try them by a number of Rally America drivers at the Sno*Drift as they use them in competition. I ran a set on my 2011 Fiesta and loved them! My brother runs them on his Focus and a friend uses them on his Focus ST. All of us have taken our cars in places no FWD car should go while spectating at the Sno*Drift. Last winter we had record snow fall with something like 170" with many storms dropping in excess of 12" over night. I only got stuck once with a storm that dumped 18" of snow with drifts that were over 36" tall. My Fiesta just could not handle snow that was up to the headlights. My wife's AWD Escape on snow tires even struggled with conditions that bad. I will be buying another set of them on 15" wheels for the ST next month.

Oh, I ran a ST on OE 17" wheels with OE sized Blizzaks and they were no match for the Artic-Max tires. The tires were too wide and the wheels were constantly packed with snow due to their large diameter and open spoke design. I would avoid that combo at all costs. Stick with a 15" wheel to maximize side wall and reduce the amount of snow pack in the wheels.

With a few hours left, I figured some additional winter testing was needed #fiestamovement by Bryan Redeker BRGT350, on Flickr
Thanks for your great Review in the 15" was size of tire do you use? 195/55R15?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Snow Tires are Great for Snow not so much on dry roads always trade offs I am very happy with my Michelins for what they are i have a set of snow tires too but I needed the cold weather tires for the 2-3 months we are below 40 deg and have no snow I tried the factory tires in the dry cold and they were like hard rubber or wood on glass when cornering so from a saftey stand point I went with a tweener tire and and More than happy with the new type of tire this is turning out to be.. like I said they are great all round EXCEPT the SNOW. So back on Topic if you need SNOW traction and safer driving on Ice and Slush get some dedicated SNOW/Ice Winter Tires if not I have No quams about recomending these Michelins for DD and some parking Lot AutoX yes they are that good..

+1 for general tire altimax. Had these tyres on my last car (honda civic '98) and they are very effective on snow and ice + the thread is very long lasting. I might buy these in 185/65r15 (standard dimension for 15'' on the fiesta, same as spare tire) on steelies. They often come in sale at Canadian tire...

I run studded Nokian's on my Q5.... Hands down best winter tire you can buy

My Fiesta ST will be up on jacks all winter in my garage