Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hi all, I would be grateful for some input :)

wade.01

So, since Christmas, I have noticed a whine when I accelerate in 4th-6th gear. I first noticed it on my trip from PA to FL over Christmas, while I was on the highway. It's loud enough that it makes me worried that the turbo or something is going. It usually happens when I'm doing highway driving, or prolonged/harder driving. I don't usually hear it while doing my 40-minute commute to work. It's worst when under about 3/4 throttle, and is not noticeable under half or less, or full throttle. I don't have any videos, but I don't think it would be loud enough to pick up on video anyway. Maybe the whine is normal, and I'm just being paranoid, but it would be nice if someone might have an idea of what could be wrong, if anything is. Any input is much appreciated!

Its hard to diagnose sounds without being there. With that said I wouldn't rule out the transmission.
The oil level could be getting low. Take a look to see if there are any leaks especially around the axels.

OP
wade.01

wade.01

Thread Starter #3
Its hard to diagnose sounds without being there. With that said I wouldn't rule out the transmission.
The oil level could be getting low. Take a look to see if there are any leaks especially around the axels.
Thanks, I will definitely look into that! I'll have to see if I can get a video of the noise and get it posted.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
So, since Christmas, I have noticed a whine when I accelerate in 4th-6th gear. I first noticed it on my trip from PA to FL over Christmas, while I was on the highway. It's loud enough that it makes me worried that the turbo or something is going. It usually happens when I'm doing highway driving, or prolonged/harder driving. I don't usually hear it while doing my 40-minute commute to work. It's worst when under about 3/4 throttle, and is not noticeable under half or less, or full throttle. I don't have any videos, but I don't think it would be loud enough to pick up on video anyway. Maybe the whine is normal, and I'm just being paranoid, but it would be nice if someone might have an idea of what could be wrong, if anything is. Any input is much appreciated!
I don't have experience with this issue myself, but I've read about people reporting a whine from the transmission.
I would definitely inspect the transmission like @M0LTEN recommend, and also change the fluid if you haven't already done that.
How many miles on your car? Do you drive it hard? Baby it?

OP
wade.01

wade.01

Thread Starter #5
I don't have experience with this issue myself, but I've read about people reporting a whine from the transmission.
I would definitely inspect the transmission like @M0LTEN recommend, and also change the fluid if you haven't already done that.
How many miles on your car? Do you drive it hard? Baby it?
I have around 51k miles on it. I bought it in November with like 33k miles, so I've put a good deal of miles on since purchase. I am not sure whether the transmission fluid has been replaced by the previous owner or not, but it might be about time for it. Some people might say I drive it hard, others might say I baby it. I usually shift around 3.5k-4.5k rpms while just driving around, if that helps any.