Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Higher charge air temps Whoosh v3

Hey guys,

So last weekend I installed the whoosh v3 intercooler along with the boost hose kit. As the titles says I am seeing higher charge air temps then I was with the stock intercooler and the stock one was beat to hell. What I will say is with the new intercooler I'm not noticing the heat soak I was having before, basically even in 85-90 weather the car is pulling strong, while with the original intercooler I could feel it bog down when doing normal pulls. I'm wondering if the reading on the Accessport could be off? Or maybe I didn't do something wrong with the install. Just for reference I rarely saw the charge air temp go above 100F in the same weather conditions and now I'm regularly in the 90 -115 range depending on traffic. Any info or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
-Thanks

*Picture for comparison

Attachments

Dialcaliper

Big intercoolers (especially thick ones) tend to restrict airflow to both the intercooler and radiator at low speed where you’re relying on the radiator fans to move air, especially in situations like slow traffic. As long as the engine is not overheating you’ll be okay, but you may be down on power for daily driving due to heat soak.

Taken to the extreme, I’ve seen some
cars (not fiestas) that when fitted with a monster intercooler that blocks much of the radiator would suffer from overheating and high charge air temp if they are driven at low speed for extended periods (ie, my friend couldn’t commute to work in that particular car because of it).

Check the charge air temps on the freeway or on a long drive at higher speed. If they look more like what you expect, everything is probably fine. If it’s *not* fine in a higher airflow situation than something else may be wrong.

OP
MidWeak
Thread Starter #3
Big intercoolers (especially thick ones) tend to restrict airflow to both the intercooler and radiator at low speed where you’re relying on the radiator fans to move air, especially in situations like slow traffic. As long as the engine is not overheating you’ll be okay, but you may be down on power for daily driving due to heat soak.

Taken to the extreme, I’ve seen some
cars (not fiestas) that when fitted with a monster intercooler that blocks much of the radiator would suffer from overheating and high charge air temp if they are driven at low speed for extended periods (ie, my friend couldn’t commute to work in that particular car because of it).

Check the charge air temps on the freeway or on a long drive at higher speed. If they look more like what you expect, everything is probably fine. If it’s *not* fine in a higher airflow situation than something else may be wrong.
Thanks for the reply, I do have a Montune radiator that has been working super well this summer and has kept my coolant temps down considerable from the stock one. So I'm not too worried about the engine overheating. I have been doing some pulls for data logs and obviously the temps do drop when doing them since I'm getting so much more air pumped into the intercooler. So like you said when daily driving and at slower speeds even though the v3 is better then the stock one it will heat soak since it's way thicker and is getting worse airflow.