Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hood louvers, plastic vs aluminum

kevinatfms

Trying to weight the pros and cons of plastic hood louvers vs aluminum.

Here's some I really wana buy,
Any reason to not go plastic?

Texas is my location, so the heat does play a factor

https://motorgenic.com/carbon-fiber...0Ah49uef_625PL2dIdSLGK6Hjc_TC-aQaAjlvEALw_wcB
Id say it depends on the type of plastic being used. I run the GT500 hood vent on our champ car Elantra and its held up. But its also OEM type plastic which is known for its resistance to wear/time in OE applications(GT500 mustang).

I went aluminum with Verus Engineering's version on my Fiesta and they have held up quite well so far to on track shenanigans, light rain and constant on/off of the rain guards during track events.

If i could do it over again, id maybe try some of these out just for shits and giggles:
https://www.westmarine.com/west-marine-white-slotted-ventilator-280800.html?&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=PMax: GSC>Smart_Shopping>Plumbing & Ventilation&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmaibBhCAARIsAKUlaKTmIJZto20N7Vvf2GTszD5oxaxI1BsX2BnpJBWvtnAQuartZaqzSOgaAroSEALw_wcB

Marine grade parts are usually overdesigned due to the conditions in which they must resist UV, heat and chemical/water spray. I ended up finding these after the GT500 vent and Verus vents were already intsalled on the Elantra/Fiesta. I did pick up a set after the fact and for $9, we plan on adding them to our Elantra behind the GT500 vent for more evacuation at low pressure areas.

For $9 + shipping(think it was $3-5), they are a steal for ABS injection molded plastic louvers. I can let you know after the race in a few weeks how the West Marine version holds up to 15 hours on track.