Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How hard is it to replace the cable-end that plugs into the stock diverter valve?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
When I got my first turbosmart dual port, outside of the connector was ambidextrous but it had an insert that prevented you from inserting the connector backwards. When I switched to the plumb-back, the plumb-back did not have the insert and I plugged the DV in backwards, cracking the plug that goes into the DV. It still works, but my obsessive brain knows theres cracked plastic down there... so I am going to have to fix it because I obsess about stuff like that.

Does anyone know if I can just order the connector part, crack apart the old one and insert the pigtails into a new connector, or anything like that? I haven't had an opportunity to get a good look at it, and Ford didn't list the plug as a standalone part when I asked at the parts counter.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
My understanding is that you can't even order the stock diverter valve from Ford in the US, much less bits of it.
That's so weird! When I had my fiat the stock DV's were a dirt-cheap part, seriously like 50 bucks. When I ordered a GFB DV+ i just bought a spare stock DV to install it into (because you gotta cut it up).

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
plz ignore my ragged-ass looking finger, I accidentally got electronics contact cleaner on my hand and its wreaking havoc with the skin lol

The upper one is the plumb-back (no directional insert) and and the dual port (blue directional insert).
If you look at the outside of the plug, where the plug clip actually engages, it's ambidextrous, but the pins inside the connector are not centered.
With the blue insert you *couldn't* do it backwards, so I didn't pay that much attention when switching to the plumb-back. Oops.

unnamed.jpg

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
I know I’m necroing a thread here, but does anyone know what the plug is called so I can order one? Even if I could find a harness “extender” or something I could splice it in.

slopoke

You could always reach out to Turbosmart and ask them about information regarding the connector, in terms of what manufacturer they use, etc. With that info, you should be able to get info on the other connector.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
You could always reach out to Turbosmart and ask them about information regarding the connector, in terms of what manufacturer they use, etc. With that info, you should be able to get info on the other connector.
Yeah I shot them a message, poked at Ron too just to see if anyone knows what it's called.

I have high hopes for a reply from Turbosmart - I replied to a support ticket from them that I opened when I first bought the EM2 and it cracked the plug so, there's history on it ;)
I made it clear I don't expect them to give/cover anything, just asked them to tell me what it's called so I can buy one.