Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How much labor to replace front Drivers Side axle?

Hey guys,

I purchased a new LH side front axle assembly with the intention of installing it myself on the weekend.

However, the box of parts has been sitting in my garage for over 6 months collecting lots of dust.

How many hours of labor can I expect an independent garage to charge to perform the repair including flushing the transmission fluid?

Thanks!

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
There is no transmission flush, it's just a drain and fill. Idk like $300? Probably need an alignment after too.

Seems about right. I was charged $500 including the axle and 1qt of the tranny fluid which only topped up what was lost when puling the axle. (which I believe was $80/qt).
Will cost more if you want to replace all the fluid.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Collect all necessary DCTF fluids* The only place to get fluid in two shakes of a lambs tail is Fomoco. Otherwise Ravenol MTF 2 or Mtf 3 / Motul DCTf fluid will do. Also get one axle seal in case you damage your old one P#BRS174/ CV6Z*1S177*A . Try not to use parts store Cv axles as their quality is just Shit IMO. Buy one from Rock Auto OEM*

And a Cv axle tool

Orion Motor Tech OMT 2 Piece Axle... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09H5L37Y4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

This is a 2-3 hr job easy as 🥧

QF6xFvf1JFd4I.gif

Last edited:
Collect all necessary DCTF fluids* The only place to get fluid in two shakes of a lambs tail is Fomoco. Otherwise Ravenol MTF 2 or Mtf 3 / Motul DCTf fluid will do. Also get one axle seal in case you damage your old one P#BRS174/ CV6Z*1S177*A . Try not to use parts store Cv axles as their quality is just Shit IMO. Buy one from Rock Auto OEM*

And a Cv axle tool

Orion Motor Tech OMT 2 Piece Axle... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09H5L37Y4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

This is a 2-3 hr job easy as 🥧
I've personally had bad luck on another car with the "highest tier" rock auto axles. With that being said, definitely go OEM. However, i've heard good things about NAPA GOLD axles. Unless someone else has knowledge on which EXACT axle to buy from rock auto.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've personally had bad luck on another car with the "highest tier" rock auto axles. However, i've heard good things about NAPA GOLD axles. Unless someone else has knowledge on which EXACT axle to buy from rock auto.
Rock auto carries OEM axles and are by the cheapest OEM can be found New. I will not use any aftermarket axles after working in the aftermarket parts world for multiple vendors. OEM here is the only way for longevity. Why not use OEM if it lasts you 75-100k? Sordove a no brainer to me.

Rock auto carries OEM axles and are by the cheapest OEM can be found New. I will not use any aftermarket axles after working in the aftermarket parts world for multiple vendors. OEM here is the only way for longevity. Why not use OEM if it lasts you 75-100k? Sordove a no brainer to me.
updated my post for clarity. Definitely OEM with axles. Everyone will be hating themselves with a wobble at 80mph

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
updated my post for clarity. Definitely OEM with axles. Everyone will be hating themselves with a wobble at 80mph
I even tried to Re-clamp my OEM axle after it had to be taken apart to re-seat the joint back into its housing. Just wasn't the same after re-clamping and Bought a OEM from rock auto. Never looked back. Cripes even the OEM Axle seals were $13. The Stealerhsip wants $28. What a crock.

Erick_V

Get your hands on some Ravenol trans fluid, buy the motorcraft/oem axle (can’t remember if it comes with the axle nut too, think it does) and go to town. I remember it being a very straightforward job. Took less than an hour. Also, use a funnel on the stream that is going to come out of the drain plug or keep the fill plug in to slow the stream. If not it’ll get all over your LCA and make a mess lol

OP
Cerberus
Thread Starter #12
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the helpful tips!

I am sitting on the following OEM parts and 2 liters of Ravenol MTF-2 75w-80 for the transmission drain and fill.

I just ordered the Output Shaft Seal (part# CV6Z-1S177-A) as a precaution from a local Ford dealer.

Thanks again!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the helpful tips!

I am sitting on the following OEM parts and 2 liters of Ravenol MTF-2 75w-80 for the transmission drain and fill.

I just ordered the Output Shaft Seal (part# CV6Z-1S177-A) as a precaution from a local Ford dealer.

Thanks again!!!
I will suggest tools also so you don't score/ Mar the inside of the Transmission edge pulling the seal with incorrect tool.

https://hftools.com/app63039

And a seal driver to correctly and evenly install the new seal if you need to replace

https://hftools.com/app63261

nqi89GMgyT3va.gif

OP
Cerberus
Thread Starter #14