Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How much does wind resistance effect virtual Dyno?

Stkid93

Premium Account
This question is mainly for my scientists and math wiz’s.

so here’s my question, on the Dyno you car isn’t moving, and therefore there’s no wind resistance.

On a virtual Dyno, ur Dynoing your card on the road and there is wind resistance, and the faster you go, the more the wind effects your car. This is why all the fastest cars are extremely low and aerodynamic. Even underneath them is completely flat by using metal or plastic sheets. And they don’t have huge spoilers that catch the wind.

I seriously doubt the creator of virtual Dyno factored this in when he created virtual Dyno, because there is no place to put the car’s coefficient of drag.

so, how much horsepower and torque is lost due to wind resistance at say 50 mph, 75 mph, and 100 mph?

Dialcaliper

There is absolutely air resistance factored into virtual dyno. Otherwise it'd be useless above 20-30mph. Frontal area and drag coefficient are located in the car setup. If you just chose the default "Fiesta ST", you probably just glossed over it. If you've done any aero mods at all, including silly things like wing risers, it probably won't be quite accurate. Also tire diameter influences the result if you're not using stock wheel/tire size as does vehicle weight.

Below image from random BMW internet forum because I didn't have my laptop handy.

1706240220282.png