Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

mountune quick shift installed by RallySport Direct!!

We took the Fiesta to the dyno a little while back and thought that it needed just a little bit more power so we wanted to install some performance parts. We looked to mountune to get the job done! We have done a lot of research into all of the options available for our little Fiestas and mountune seems like they have the most experience and knowledge about this platform. They have been modifying The Ford Focus and Ford Fiestas for years.

We gathered up some of the parts we have here, in stock and installed them. We got the quick shift bracket, the intercooler and the intake! Since we were installing these parts, we wanted to give you guys a fairly comprehensive installation guide so you have something to use for informational purposes when installing your parts. We will continue to give you guys these informational how-to's as we build our Fiesta. We look forward to giving all of you guys some great information and have fun installing these great products on this car.

As we go along, we will give you some before and after data that we observe on our particular Fiesta (your experience may vary). We are excited to see just what we can do with this car, both on the track and on the dyno!

Here's a shot of everything we are installing this time around. From left to right we have the front mount intercooler, then the intake, and lastly, the quick shift bracket all from mountune performance.

In this write-up we will be installing the mountune quick shift bracket. I have read a few people having difficulty with this installation, hopefully this will help clear up any questions you may have.

Here's a little blurb about it from mountune:

A shorter and crisper shifter throw provides a positive driving experience on the Fiesta ST. After considerable evaluation and input, mountune engineers determined the optimum reduction for the Fiesta ST shifter to be at 30%. This amount allows a sportier driving experience while maintaining an OE quality and feel with minimal stress on the OE shift components. Machined from solid aluminum to OE tolerances, the mountune quick shift is easily installed and functions to OE specifications.

? Easy installation
? Direct replacement for factory part
? Nickel plated finish to ensure against corrosion
? Installation tool included for easy installation

Here's some technical information:

Mfgr. Warranty: 12 Month/ 12,000 Miles
Adjustable: No
Installation Hardware Included: Yes
Material: Aluminum

For more information on this product, check It out here: http://www.rallysportdirect.com/mountune-2238-BQS-AA-Quick-Shift&src=yoy63vfg

Now that we have that out of the way, let's get to the install! After gathering the small amount of hand tools together, we want to start by pulling off the engine cover to give us some more room to work with

Now we have easier access to the clamps and bolts and plugs!

Squeeze the hose connector and pull it off on the side of the inlet hose

Now loosen the clamp that goes to the air box and pull the hose back.

Next, loosen the clamp by the firewall.

Unplug the MAF sensor plug by first prying the red clip back, then squeezing the retainer and pull the hose out.

This little tool is what we are going to use to remove the factory ball stud on the shift arm, it's awesome that mountune gives you the tools to do the job right!

Let's get that air box out of the way. Take the torx bolt out of the front of the air box

Separate the upper air feed by pulling it away from the front of the car and the air box should pull right out. Keep in mind, there are 2 rubber grommet seats on the lower rear portion of the air box that hold it in place. Just wiggle it a little and it will come right out.

Pop the shift cable off the ball stud then slide the tool over the it like this.

Now you'll want to tighten the tool's nut onto the sleeve like this

Now, get your wrench and socket on it and work the bolt and nut till you get the ball stud out.

Now, here, we made a little mistake, and I think it was a good thing we did so we can pass on the information to you! We put the allen headed bolt in the top at first, when we found out that it was supposed to go in from the bottom. SO, heed our warning and put the bolt in from the bottom. We found out rather quickly that it did not go in this way, but just to save you the time, the bolt goes in from the bottom.

Here it is in place with the bolt in the wrong way.

Here it is after we placed it the correct way. Obvious that it goes in this way, after the fact

Now I have to say, this was a pain to get that bolt up in there and tighten it up, it's definitely do-able, but it's going to take you some time and patience to get it tight. There isn't a whole lot of room and I don't have small hands.

Next you'll want to tighten the two allen set screws on either side of the bracket to keep it from moving around.

Now we can pop the shift cable back in place and re-install the air box in the reverse of removal and you're done!

The shifting is noticeably shorter, it feels great! It feels just how I would think it should from the factory. Nice, tight, short shifts, perfect for a good track experience.
Thanks for reading, and watch for more installations on our shop Fiesta in the near future!

Corby

Doesn't look to bad,I got small hands. Definitely gonna be getting this. Thanks for the write-up.

-ry

XuperXero

So the MT short shift kit basically raises the ball stud thus reducing axis of shift movement? That's simple enough, I wonder if I can fab this myself.

OP
RallySport Direct
Thread Starter #6
So the MT short shift kit basically raises the ball stud thus reducing axis of shift movement? That's simple enough, I wonder if I can fab this myself.
It looks like it raises it and shifts it towards the driver's side of the car to reduce the throws even more. It feels pretty good, nice and short, but not too short.

Corby

OP
RallySport Direct
Thread Starter #7
That looks like a pain to install. Nice write up though!
I would say, this is a very easy install, it's just tedious. It takes a bit more time than we expected, trying to get that bolt in from the bottom. Other than that, it was a breeze.

Corby

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I would say, this is a very easy install, it's just tedious. It takes a bit more time than we expected, trying to get that bolt in from the bottom. Other than that, it was a breeze.

Corby
Agreed having done it a few times now I just take the gear selector out and do it on the bench (i had one of the first one that had a 6th gear issue so had to install the new improved model when sent).. But I would think a longer bolt dropped in from the top and a locking nut on the bottom would be easier to install as all the turning would be done up top and you only need to get a wrench on the lower nut.. Oh well Again Thanks for the detailed Write up..

XuperXero

It looks like it raises it and shifts it towards the driver's side of the car to reduce the throws even more. It feels pretty good, nice and short, but not too short.

Corby
Any possibility to give me some dimensions? Height raised, offset towards driver's side from original point?

A company in beijing sells this for 3800 RMB... AKA $630ish USD due to high import tax and greedy profit margins, therefore, I'm very tempted to fab something up.

OP
RallySport Direct
Thread Starter #10
Any possibility to give me some dimensions? Height raised, offset towards driver's side from original point?

A company in beijing sells this for 3800 RMB... AKA $630ish USD due to high import tax and greedy profit margins, therefore, I'm very tempted to fab something up.
I'm afraid I am unable to give you this information as I really don't have it. All the information I have is available on the product page on our website shown in the link in the original post. Thanks!

Corby

XuperXero

No problem. Picking up the kit from another member in May hopefully :).

I wish mine felt as good as you describe, I still think it's incredibly "notchy" or dare I say "crunchy" at times even though I've been told it feels good by the installing parties so to speak. This is the updated version by the way as my first kit was worse and was exhibiting the 6th gear issue of not going into gear at times. In the end I can't say it's 100% satisfying to be honest. That's the risk of mods I imagine...

OP
RallySport Direct
Thread Starter #13
I wish mine felt as good as you describe, I still think it's incredibly "notchy" or dare I say "crunchy" at times even though I've been told it feels good by the installing parties so to speak. This is the updated version by the way as my first kit was worse and was exhibiting the 6th gear issue of not going into gear at times. In the end I can't say it's 100% satisfying to be honest. That's the risk of mods I imagine...
After driving about 600 miles with it installed, I would say there is a slight sense of a "notchy" feeling to the 4th gear shift, that's about all I feel. Everything else seems to be pretty smooth. This is the first I have heard of the "6th gear" issue. please explain.

Corby

I was pretty unhappy with the results after installation and I actually wished I had never did it to be honest so I investigated on a few of the forums. I was also experiencing a situation where going into 6th gear was sometimes an issue with some noticeable grinding of a very minor degree. Well it turned out that this 6th gear issue has been experienced by other people and was even mentioned on the forums. In fact Mountune eventually fabricated an updated version of the kit to resolve this stuff. My first kit was the 1st version and then I was provided the updated kit by the aftermarket company that did my install. Now I have tried to find the threads on this subject on 3 or 4 different forums but ran out of time. For the record the revised kit is an improvement but it sure isn't ideal and I hate to mention it but sometimes it struggles going into 1st now. I'm hoping with time it smoothes out.

OP
RallySport Direct
Thread Starter #16
Thank you rodmoe! We read through it and are looking at our stock to see which ones we have here, and are going to replace them if they are the wrong ones.

Corby

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
You are welcome though I thought all the prodtuct had been taken care of .. But never hurts to be safe... :)

You are welcome though I thought all the prodtuct had been taken care of .. But never hurts to be safe... :)
We should get together so you can drive mine and compare shifting. I've had no complaints with the original version.