Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

I NEED A NEW ENGINE! VIN X vs VIN J

ended up with a hole in cylinder 4 of my 2015 fiesta st. its so big it cannot be sleeved, i need to drop a new engine in, im curious if the base model 1.6(vin j) will seamlessly drop in. there is over a $1k difference in the engines and I believe that that premium is just for the turbo. are the internals the same? would there be any fuel injection issues? any ecu problems? personally i believe a car company(business) would use the same parts where possible and only mark up the extras(turbo) . re using what i can would a base model fiesta VIN J work?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
ended up with a hole in cylinder 4 of my 2015 fiesta st. its so big it cannot be sleeved, i need to drop a new engine in, im curious if the base model 1.6(vin j) will seamlessly drop in. there is over a $1k difference in the engines and I believe that that premium is just for the turbo. are the internals the same? would there be any fuel injection issues? any ecu problems? personally i believe a car company(business) would use the same parts where possible and only mark up the extras(turbo) . re using what i can would a base model fiesta VIN J work?
You cannot stick a base model engine in our car our engines were built specifically to be Turbocharged. With that said our engines also came in ecoboost Escapes and Ford sold a lot of those and people with blown engines in our cars have used them in the past.

OP
M
Thread Starter #3
You cannot stick a base model engine in our car our engines were built specifically to be Turbocharged. With that said our engines also came in ecoboost Escapes and Ford sold a lot of those and people with blown engines in our cars have used them in the past.
from what you are saying is that the vin X were built to be turbo'd the vin j weren't. can we elaborate on that? are the internals specifically upgraded(rods pistons)? but in the end would the vin j work? i cant afford the premium and i truly cannot be with out a vehicle, if i have to run the risk of blowing it again i would. i will baby the car.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
from what you are saying is that the vin X were built to be turbo'd the vin j weren't. can we elaborate on that? are the internals specifically upgraded(rods pistons)? but in the end would the vin j work? i cant afford the premium and i truly cannot be with out a vehicle, if i have to run the risk of blowing it again i would. i will baby the car.
I am stating a known fact. The engines while both being 1.6 liters vary and yes internally. There is no but. Like I stated though you can get an Escape Ecoboost engine it is the same engine as in the FiST and will work. There are tons of those in the yards. Do a search online.

OP
M
Thread Starter #5
I am stating a known fact. The engines while both being 1.6 liters vary and yes internally. There is no but. Like I stated though you can get an Escape Ecoboost engine it is the same engine as in the FiST and will work. There are tons of those in the yards. Do a search online.
im not asking about the engine in the escape, that falls under vin x as well, im asking about the vin j non eco boost base fiesta engines. there is a consistent $1k difference in the two. (put the fiesta st and eco boost escape engine in one category. VIN X) then compare it to vin j base fiesta. theres a disconnect between on what im asking and the answer you are providing. you are just telling me to go with the same engine in the fiesta already(escape engine) even though i said i cannot afford that. im asking if the non eco boost(vin j) will work if we re use the turbo.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115834476030?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=777008&algo=PERSONAL.TOPIC&ao=1&asc=20221020120438&meid=26e2749dd88f469fb7ce2a7024295016&pid=101574&rk=1&rkt=1&itm=115834476030&pmt=1&noa=1&pg=4375194&algv=PersonalizedTopicsV2WithWatchlistFeaturesAndTopicMLREnhanced&brand=Ford&_trksid=p4375194.c101574.m47269&_trkparms=parentrq:f661af3a1890ac1d727fd29fffffdd9a|pageci:5b67fa9a-3afa-11ee-9dd4-46aa3669ae16|iid:1|vlpname:vlp_homepage
VS
https://www.ebay.com/itm/266193702809?epid=502379199&hash=item3dfa618f99:g:09AAAOSwZKlkJHmD&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA4DTjD/Kw6fyR7KM8VpYrqHyWvyPoFec6IUFV01jSaIfEsWTnBEhrA6S+abUsGQvf5eIGnef+sjfAdrDZk9ruws9qXREYOHFYrAsQBY38rdVbVGpK3to3IxiLJjKpK3+Zs8R7qqQFXlU9pkbaBOBAujlE+M4um8CVI5881MFnnoctRbxajQVUupngJaVzUO5qDvtxhUm9iPhvcI8y1hdowHcbHRvRy9UXYfBZO99uFwqV8Q9vvJqxQtux04lRSRDJNn649kJ0Tuw9eIXcqxZhCVGM/uE2HALEcn7BFxL3B83l|tkp:Bk9SR-Dak-a-Yg

Last edited:
@Dpro has said directly that you cannot use the base Fiesta engine "vin J" full stop and is correct unfortunately.

Transmission will be incompatible, ECU incompatible, ST is direct injection vs multi-port injection on the base Fiesta, setup for different compression, bore x stroke (minimally different), etc. The official Ford Media tech specs (linked below) are where I'm getting these observations. Suspension and chassis parts are interchangeable pretty freely between base and ST Fiesta's at least. If it IS possible I'm sure someone here can tell you though.

2016 base Fiesta tech specs: https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2016/2016-Ford-Fiesta-Tech-Specs.pdf

2016 Fiesta ST tech specs: https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2016/2016-Ford-Fiesta-ST-Tech-Specs-FINAL.pdf

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
The NA fiesta has a higher compression ratio, and different bore/stroke, but do what you want.

OP
M
Thread Starter #8
@Dpro has said directly that you cannot use the base Fiesta engine "vin J" full stop and is correct unfortunately.

Transmission will be incompatible, ECU incompatible, ST is direct injection vs multi-port injection on the base Fiesta, setup for different compression, bore x stroke (minimally different), etc. The official Ford Media tech specs (linked below) are where I'm getting these observations. Suspension and chassis parts are interchangeable pretty freely between base and ST Fiesta's at least. If it IS possible I'm sure someone here can tell you though.

2016 base Fiesta tech specs: https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2016/2016-Ford-Fiesta-Tech-Specs.pdf

2016 Fiesta ST tech specs: https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2016/2016-Ford-Fiesta-ST-Tech-Specs-FINAL.pdf
thank you for proving links. the way it was worded made it seem like while they are built different they would work, then he goes on to answer a question i didn't ask. was just looking for clarification on specifically fiestas J engine.

im asking if the non eco boost(vin j) will work if we re use the turbo.
@Dpro answered this but no, the non eco-boost engine will not work if you re-use the turbo. The internals are different, and you'll be in a bigger financial hole trying to turbocharge an engine not designed for forced induction instead of spending the difference now and getting the correct engine.

thank you for proving links. the way it was worded made it seem like while they are built different they would work, then he goes on to answer a question i didn't ask. was just looking for clarification on specifically fiestas J engine.
All good! Sounds like an unfortunate situation and ultimately not the easiest question to answer clearly. I'm sure you could pull the turbo and other accessories (assuming good health) and sell them off to help offset costs. I like to assume so at least.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I went on because instead of listening and understanding that you cannot use the NA like I told you kept trying to get the answer you wanted to hear. I also offered you an alternative but because it was not what you wanted to hear you would not accept it.

There was no disconnect I knew what you asked the disconnect was you not accepting that fact that I stated. I would added you could have easily searched yourself and read up on it rather than being so insistent that someone had to provide you links.