Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

I overpaid, but is that ok?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
"The consulting firm AlixPartners, cited by the Washington Post, estimated that the global auto industry will make somewhere between 1.5 million and five million fewer vehicles this year than originally expected. Volkswagen alone is down 100,000 vehicles for 2021, with the situation expected to worsen in the second quarter, and doesn't expect to be able to make up the difference this year."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/gmp36218381/car-models-affected-chip-shortage/

"The data here comes from a report via Car and Driver (quantified by our partners at Statista). That publication already did a survey via Automotive News to find that 93% of people in the car industry believe the chip shortage is a very big deal. Even 93% seems low, considering the impact on the industry is expected to be $110 billion in lost revenue for 2021."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pc...ip-shortage-are-from-ford-jeep-chevy?amp=true

"Even the mighty Apple, a $2tn company and the world’s biggest buyer of semiconductors spending $58bn annually, was forced to delay the launch of the much-hyped iPhone 12 by two months last year due to the shortage."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...ortage-in-computer-chips-reaches-crisis-point

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

haste

1000 Post Club
Messaged the OP. Good catch guys. It was my old car. We both still miss it and hate having to get rid of it.

It's definitely a good catch as it is very mechanically sound and never abused and well maintained. My wife probably put 18k of those 20k miles on it. And yes, she can drive a clutch without burning it up, lol.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
TL;DR
I‘m paying a lot for a 2017, but I’m tired of looking, would like to know if this community sees any red flags on the listing.

Hello community,
I’ve been interested in the Fiesta ST and Focus RS for a long time, but the timing wasn’t right until recently, due buying a new vehicle in 2012, the timing of college, landing a job and buying my first home,
Just my luck; I can afford the car I want, but they quit making them, and the used car prices are going nuts.
I should have purchased last year, but I couldn’t predict the future. I was back and forth between the FiST and the Focus RS. Ultimately, I decided I didn’t need an AWD vehicle, but the current market also made the decision easier. I have a 2012 Versa hatchback as a daily driver, an 05 Liberty CRD for 4x4 when I need it, so I’m just looking to get something that’s fun to drive, and planning to keep it stock for a while.
Anyway I haven’t seen many FiSTs listings in my area that were what I wanted.
I never thought I’d be getting a car from carvana, and the listing is weird, doesn’t list a lot of the standard features. I figured I’d take a chance anyway since I have 7 days or 400 miles to return it.
Anyway as the TL;DR says, do you see any red flags on the listing, is there anything I should specifically pay attention to when I get the vehicle?
I’m not up to speed on all the aftermarket products for the FiST, so what’s up with the tail lights and side mirror turn indicators?
Also if anyone here has a carvana referral code or whatever I need, send the info my way, I think name and phone number or email address will do.

Thanks for reading, I hope this community is more noob friendly than others I’ve been on in the past.
SToop
Too much is up to you.....if you are happy then price does not need others approvals. Enjoy!

Consider this.

Used car prices have been somewhat stable for a while. Lower inventory/production from 08-10 period, means a low supply of cars of that age now. Domestics especially, for example, sold a couple of Fords three years ago that have shot up in value even before covid, now they are 15,000 at a dealer with 100,000mi; 10 year old cars.

https://wolfstreet.com/2019/06/08/u...-drops-new-cars-sink-deeper-into-carmageddon/

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/price-trends/

You can see the same thing where the cost of a used average running car in the 90s was dragged upward with time. Heck, even back in the eighties I have family and friends that brought deathtraps for nothing only to make a pretty penny, 20 yrs later.

Prices might drop a bit, but I bet the floor is higher now, so on the upside maybe slower depreciation rate.

You'll likely be glad to have the car than the hassle of finding one in a constricting market over the summer.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
All that matters is you got what you wanted.....sure others got "Deals" but you still have the same vehicle in many ways that they have. As long as you are happy that's all that matters! Enjoy .....Have fun! Mod if your into that addiction!

jeff

2000 Post Club
Too much is up to you.....if you are happy then price does not need others approvals. Enjoy!
This. We'll all be dead soon. It's not like you're spending $80k or something outrageous. If you plan to keep it awhile, pull the trigger and feel good about it. ~$23k out the door for a barely used car, and a fine one at that, is a good deal.

For reference, and this will make you feel better - I just helped a friend locate and purchase a car. Was a bit surprised but they go fast so you buy what you want in this market without hesitation if it checks all the boxes. 2015 Subaru Outback with the weaker 4-cyl engine, mid trim level, some of the nice stuff but not top trim, 70km, one owner, $22k out the door. Crazy. But, the average price of a new car in the USA today is $38k. So paying about half of that for something that has most of its life left is probably OK.

Good luck and enjoy.

OP
SToop
Thread Starter #27
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, I've read all the posts, and I probably should have been more active about replies.

After getting some information from haste about the history, I'm feeling ok with it. Paying less would have been great, but I'm comfortable with the price for the market today, as long as the vehicle is in good shape etc.

"planning to keep it stock for a while" puh-leeeez....lol.....after budget, it's all a matter of will power.....

and you are in Mooresville? NASCAR Country! Go Fast, Turn Left. It would be a sin to leave it stock in that area...lol
You're not wrong! I'm not very mechanical though, so mostly depends on if I find a trustworthy performance shop. You know I want to though! :D

I think this is owned buy the guy on here that had two but sold one, car looks dang familiar.

EDIT: Yup that's Haste's car - no worries on the car itself other than the high-ish price - https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/good-news-and-bad-news.26708/

Relative to the "high price" - it isn't high today. If anyone had a time machine, there is always something we would go back in time and change. If you can afford it now, buy it now and enjoy it.
I really appreciate you getting me in contact with the original owner!

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
As we go through life we all leave some money on the table, we never get the best price for everything.I recently almost bought something on the last day of May, but waited until the first day of June and it was on sale starting that day. The opposite situation will happen many times.
You'll buy something down the road that will be cheaper than if you had bought it earlier, these things tend to even out. The important thing is that you got a great car that you want, and they're getting harder and harder to get. Buying a car from a known owner who is on this forum is a real bonus, you can get the whole history of the car.

OP
SToop
Thread Starter #30
Due to work I have been up for the past 20 hours and I am feeling it, so I am going to keep this short.
The FiST was delivered today, Seems to be in really good shape like haste said, and I am very pleased with it so far, but I did not get much time with it today. I almost called the driver to see if they misplaced the fuel cap, then I searched online, and I guess those aren’t a thing anymore 🤷
Haste, tell the wife we love her car.
066F9718-AEA8-4DDA-BD47-B88230C9AC03.jpeg

haste

1000 Post Club
Due to work I have been up for the past 20 hours and I am feeling it, so I am going to keep this short.
The FiST was delivered today, Seems to be in really good shape like haste said, and I am very pleased with it so far, but I did not get much time with it today. I almost called the driver to see if they misplaced the fuel cap, then I searched online, and I guess those aren’t a thing anymore 🤷
Haste, tell the wife we love her car.
Awesome! I will tell the wife. :)

Enjoy it man!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
OP
SToop
Thread Starter #34
If you feel more secure having something on the filler, Ford does offer a locking cap/'cover' for our cap-less systems.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/locking...3-2018-focus-rs-2016-2018/p/GCL2/?gclid=EAIaI
Before I was aware the FiST didn’t come with a fuel cap, I thought the check engine light might come on if I drove without it. I’m not sure the lack of a fuel cap bothers me that much
Thanks for that link though, I might change my mind.

Before I was aware the FiST didn’t come with a fuel cap, I thought the check engine light might come on if I drove without it. I’m not sure the lack of a fuel cap bothers me that much
Thanks for that link though, I might change my mind.
I was initially concerned with no cap due to potential tampering and/or foul play but the convenience aspect is SO great, I don't even worry about it. A screw on cap is just a false sense of security just like a mask for Covid and I've never considered using a lockable cap.

Bottom line, I love the capless aspect of the FiST.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
I was initially concerned with no cap due to potential tampering and/or foul play but the convenience aspect is SO great, I don't even worry about it. A screw on cap is just a false sense of security just like a mask for Covid and I've never considered using a lockable cap.

I bought a locking 'cap' (just a loose insert). I got tired of having to use a key every time. Plus, it turns the opposite direction of most other locks.
I'd rather have a 'locking' cover.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club

I agree. Tampering is typically targeted. Locking caps may only become relevant again when fuel prices hit a certain level that we're not yet used to. I think the capless systems are designed to be siphon resistant but people figure out ways to counter anything. Only potential downside I can see is a slow accumulation of soot, dust and dirt around the opening; some of it making it into the system.
That may become more relevant for desert dwellers and the Dukes of Hazard, traveling around on dirt roads.

Masks do help BTW. No one said they're fool proof, but they definitely do help. Doctors don't operate without them. They work by impeding droplet travel. Microbes travel with droplets. A coworker who vapes demonstrated by blowing a cloud several feet into the room without one, and it "magically" "stopping" at the mask with one. I hate to go O/T on this but in the Donald era it has become clear that we need to be more proactive about countering disinformation.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm surprised so many people are concerned about the capless fuel system. 4 years now no problems.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
True, but it is not the functioning of the system itself which I am concerned about, it is the malicious shitheads who would do evil to your ride for whatever reason as to why I use the locking cap, and used one even on a capped system in the past.

Nope, it will not stop them if they are that much of a POS that they insist on dumping destructive crap into the tank, but it will slow them down. [wink]

ronmcdon

Geez who knows today if one overpays or not. In today's world, all the past strategies of getting a used enthusiast car don't seem to apply as much. Hell buying stuff in general just seems to suck.

If you're happy with what you got then good for you. Probably more important whether or not others on forums are impressed or not with the value. back in oct '20 I got a '19 model w 5k miles for 20k, no recaros. Not optimal of course but good enough for me as it was an hour away and didn't really have the time with the back and forth. I was working 60-75 hrs per week, not to mention the pandemic was at it's height so flying somewhere to pick up a car was harder.

where I'm truly butthurt is not getting a house in '20 thinking the market would crash, if I was to think about not getting ripped off.

Last edited: