Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

I will be your company fan boy !! Apply within.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Ok... Years ago, it was dreamed that we would have readily available fuel alternatives. Not so much by car people, but by rich people who wanted to get "richer" or political figures trying to appeal to tree huggers. Anyway... That era is here. Can we please take advantage ?

First company to off an E50 ( 50% ethanol, 50% gasoline ) tune, or E30, or E85, or 100oct or C16 tune.

Any dang tune other than diesel, 87oct, 91oct, or 93oct.

Propane !!! Do it !!! Give me a tune with propane !!

93oct is generally thought of as the best fuel. Its not. It sucks. Its just the best and most readily available ( unless you live in a communist state ).

Any tuner. Any guy. Any shop. Tune a Fiesta with any hardware on E30 or higher or any different fuel and i will put my your company name in my sig FOR LIFE.

Its driving me nuts that the 2.0L bmw guys are pulling 300whp with an auto box and rwd with E85 and we are sitting here with our thumbs up our butts praying for 200whp or god forbit an open source tune for an intercooler and exhaust.

PS: ran my car on E30 last night with cobb's 1.02 tune and it ran AWESOME. Maxed the timing correction out at 6. So... Its not just getting away with it, its actually tuning for near max power on it. You'll know if your doing it right because you'll be the new stock turbo record holder for torque and hp gains.

If you guys make me do it.... I'm not sharing with ANYONE !!! Lol.

iso100

1000 Post Club
I hope the rubber seals don't get eaten up. Also, ethanol/gasoline mixes separate very rapidly and absorb tons of water... the issue is quite bad if our ST's have a vented system instead of a sealed one.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
After running E30, its still running awesome. +6.00 on timing, and a max of 10% on the STFT and 3% if I remember correctly on the LTFT. Afr was 12.6-12.7 at its leanest point (that's richer than stock).

This is with Cobb's 1.02 OTS tune (with no extra boost).

If you have a cobb tuner ( which the turn the fuel up/richer over stock ). I see no reason at all not to run "self mixed" E30.

I saw "self mixed" because if you have a local E30 pump, its not 93oct and E85. Its likely 87oct and E85 mixed. Just a heads up.

there are a few Hyundai veloster turbo cars making 250+ whp on stock turbo and E30/E85 tunes,,,keep in mind that's also a 1.6L motor and microscopic turbo like us! But they have about 6-7 shops working with tunes on those cars where it seems like we only have 2

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
this is about as hard as I could run it over and over with E30. Very little correction. Notice the timing advance ?

iso100

1000 Post Club
I thought Stoich for methanol was around 9.something... Wouldn't that AFR be running lean? I'm thinking for proper tune we'd need a custom tune.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
It is running a little "lean" at some points. And yes, your correct , its more like 9:1 on 100% meth. I look at it like I'm running 70% gasoline, rather than 30% meth/eth, lol. Its at like 11.6 at 6000rpms. Stock AFR are in the 13's. Its not perfect I promise. But... We/I can get away with it. I'm really wanting the stage3 tune to try and make the car run rich, then us the eth to lean it back out and help with the extra timing that is likely in s3 tune, dispite my lack of intercooler.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Seems with some basic tuning you can really get something going here. Just don't let the car sit for a long time unused as the ethanol/gasoline mix sucks in tons of water and becomes a bit of a mess. Also, I wonder how rubber gasket components in the fuel system survive the ethanol.

After running E30, its still running awesome. +6.00 on timing, and a max of 10% on the STFT and 3% if I remember correctly on the LTFT. Afr was 12.6-12.7 at its leanest point (that's richer than stock).

This is with Cobb's 1.02 OTS tune (with no extra boost).

If you have a cobb tuner ( which the turn the fuel up/richer over stock ). I see no reason at all not to run "self mixed" E30.

I saw "self mixed" because if you have a local E30 pump, its not 93oct and E85. Its likely 87oct and E85 mixed. Just a heads up.
You should monitor 3 and 4 for correction, they seem to get the most angry when testing.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
It really would not be hard to do a E30 tune... But... We have a enough time getting normal E10 tunes, so... Prob just gonna have to wait for euro guys to teach us ( or for me to start selling crack to get the cobb software and start learning this beast of a engine management system ).

As far as the eth in the tank, other fiesta's are E85 compatible. I'm sure at least our fuel tank is fine, if not everything. The big issue with more and more Exx eth is that at some point, the fuel system is not going to be able to supply 400whp+ worth of flow. Lets say you have a fiesta with a bigger turbo making 275whp. Now you want to run E85. Even if you had the tune correct,
Your injectors and pump would need enough FLOW to support 500whp on gas, or 275whp on E85. The stock fuel system just likely can not supply that much fuel/flow/volume for E85.

Its not an issue in a 130whp focus. Even with E85, its only needing a fuel flow requirement of about 200whp on gas. But with the ecoboost stuff, it already makes so much power, if you nearly double the amount of volume required, it just can't keep up.

The materials of the fuel system can likely live with E85 fine. Now.... Don't go letting a tank of pure E85 (oxymoron) sit in your tank for 4 months without using it, but... Its likely compatible because likely all fiestas use the same tank, fuel lines, and its all the same until you reach the high pressure direct injection pump.

MAT

All new cars are E15 compatible and approved for that by EPA, so they all should have ethanol resistant hardware. It's the pre 1997 stuff I think that could be an issue.

Oh, and if your 87 is E10 its actually 90% 85 octane, so the E85 is 70-85% 85 octane. E85 is a marketing term, and it can contain between 70-85% by ASTM standards. I think they might have lowered the standard to 65%? That would affect the tune I would think, as it would certainly affects the octane. Octane is expensive, they don't give that stuff away especially when 99% of cars don't need more than 87. Oh and they can play the game with E85 pricing, more ethanol if it's cheaper, and vice versa (except in the winter when less ethanol is required).