Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Installed an MBRP exhaust and need resonator and muffler recommendations ASAP!

I installed an aluminized MBRP exhaust, a 2JRacing catless downpipe, and an Injen intake today and I hate the exhaust tone. It's WAY too ricey for me and I'm getting a horrible resonance at 2700-3000 RPM. I've read about Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonators, but I'm not sure what muffler to match with it. Any recommendations for a deeper tone?

Also, my butt dyno tells me the car feels slower for some reason. I was under the impression that turbo vehicles don't need back pressure so I'm not sure why it feels slower. Still waiting on my FMIC so I can get it tuned.

I noticed the same thing power wise after installing the exact same MBRP exhaust. Then I did a full pull to redline....voila! Suddenly more power up top. Quite possibly the 3 inch diameter piping, somewhat shifted the power band. Torque feels the same, except now the engine doesn't run out of steam past 5500rpm. I actually have the Vibrant resonator you speak of. Its being installed this weekend, the drone is terrible! I've been told this ultra quiet Vibrant resonator is amazing.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I installed an aluminized MBRP exhaust, a 2JRacing catless downpipe, and an Injen intake today and I hate the exhaust tone. It's WAY too ricey for me and I'm getting a horrible resonance at 2700-3000 RPM. I've read about Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonators, but I'm not sure what muffler to match with it. Any recommendations for a deeper tone?

Also, my butt dyno tells me the car feels slower for some reason. I was under the impression that turbo vehicles don't need back pressure so I'm not sure why it feels slower. Still waiting on my FMIC so I can get it tuned.
If you're on the stock tune you're not going to get any more power from any of those mods. The car is going to stick to it's ecu parameters and tq targets. So your butt Dyno is telling you the car is making a lot more noise for the same exact acceleration.

On noise, you've got three different sources of resonance. The exhaust, the intake and the sound symposer if you haven't deleted it. The mbrp is on the louder side as is an open element design intake like the injen.

If you're not digging the sound you might wanna try the catless downpipe and stock exhaust. You'd have more spool noise then stock but no added drone and more noticeable​ intake then you have now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
F
Thread Starter #4
I noticed the same thing power wise after installing the exact same MBRP exhaust. Then I did a full pull to redline....voila! Suddenly more power up top. Quite possibly the 3 inch diameter piping, somewhat shifted the power band. Torque feels the same, except now the engine doesn't run out of steam past 5500rpm. I actually have the Vibrant resonator you speak of. Its being installed this weekend, the drone is terrible! I've been told this ultra quiet Vibrant resonator is amazing.

Is it going to replace the MBRP resonator/muffler? Let me know how you like it as I'm about to order one!

OP
F
Thread Starter #5
If you're on the stock tune you're not going to get any more power from any of those mods. The car is going to stick to it's ecu parameters and tq targets. So your butt Dyno is telling you the car is making a lot more noise for the same exact acceleration.

On noise, you've got three different sources of resonance. The exhaust, the intake and the sound symposer if you haven't deleted it. The mbrp is on the louder side as is an open element design intake like the injen.

If you're not digging the sound you might wanna try the catless downpipe and stock exhaust. You'd have more spool noise then stock but no added drone and more noticeable​ intake then you have now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I have on a Cobb Stage 1 V400 tune with a sound symposer delete. Going back to the stock exhaust isn't an option anymore since I cut it during removal. I suppose I could weld it and re-install it, but I don't have much free time to mess with it. I took the car out tonight and noticed a slight change with a little more torque, but it doesn't have the punch it had before. I can really tell by the lack of torque steer too. Keep in mind, the ambient temp here in Phoenix has been hovering around 105 +/-. I'm sure that's not helping my situation.

Vibrant resonator installed as of 2 hours ago, significant tone change while being low in the rpm range with throttle at about 35% input. I enjoy the sound of my exhaust way more! After 4,000 rpm the lack of a muffler really shows, holy crap does it. MBRP just roaring away.

Despite my better judgement, I'm still considering the MBRP even though all my driving is highway at 80mph. Does the Vibrant resonator make it more tolerable at these speeds?

OP
F
Thread Starter #8
Vibrant resonator installed as of 2 hours ago, significant tone change while being low in the rpm range with throttle at about 35% input. I enjoy the sound of my exhaust way more! After 4,000 rpm the lack of a muffler really shows, holy crap does it. MBRP just roaring away.

Do you have any pics of where you installed it? Post a vid!

Siestarider

I messed around with MBRP 3" for over a year. Just could not get highway drone down to acceptable levels. Tried Vibrant resonator, muffler, both, even added an old Mercury "resonation suppressor" clamp and weight on pipe before muffler. Great on track, easy to shift by tone.

Finally replaced it with Mountune non-resonated system. Lighter and quieter, plenty of audible feedback, no drone.