Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

INSTALLED - Meister R Coilovers/ Impressions, Pics, Etc.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
After eternity of back and forth, pulled the trigger on a set which should arrive next week.

A bit worried about the spherical bearing... I read people sometimes put a thin rubber gasket between the body and the top hat, does that help in any way with any potential harshness or is it just cargo cult?
No harshness or nothing that will be patently obvious. In fact my car rides nice with them and has for several years now.

Coilovers went on today w/ default height, dampers set to -10/-15. Will be doing proper alignment in about two weeks but for now pushed the top knuckle bolt in the slotted hole all the way in, which gives what looks to be at least -2 deg of camber.

The installer expressed concern that the sway link mount is quite a bit lower than on stock struts and wonder if it will cause any contact since we're reusing stock links.

Initial impressions from the first short drive from the shop are neutral; I can't say I notice much difference in handling on the road yet. Sharp pavement edges seem to be transmitting more acutely but everything else is dampened well. On the other hand, the tire drone (on RE71RS) is significantly more pronounced. Also getting a fairly prominent clunk going onto the driveway curb at an angle, one wheel at a time. Could this be sway bar hitting things due to a different mount height?

1691622784953.png

Last edited:
Maybe grab some adjustable links at some point and lengthen them 1.5"?
Yeah, I'll probably do that. What took me aback is judging from forums nobody really indicated that they needed custom sway link lengths for our car (as opposed to for some other Meister kits that come with different sway links included, which I imagine is done for this very reason)

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Yeah, I'll probably do that. What took me aback is judging from forums nobody really indicated that they needed custom sway link lengths for our car (as opposed to for some other Meister kits that come with different sway links included, which I imagine is done for this very reason)
You can buy adjustable end links if you want . That would b more for swaybar tuning lots of us run MeisterR’s no has ever had issue mounting the stock end links and using them. Though ya like I posted the noise is definitely from one of the two things I suggested checking. Been there done that.:LOL:

Fronts seemed to have quieted down on their own but now the rears sounds like a can full of marbles on small imperfections :cautious:

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Coilovers went on today w/ default height, dampers set to -10/-15. Will be doing proper alignment in about two weeks but for now pushed the top knuckle bolt in the slotted hole all the way in, which gives what looks to be at least -2 deg of camber.

The installer expressed concern that the sway link mount is quite a bit lower than on stock struts and wonder if it will cause any contact since we're reusing stock links.

Initial impressions from the first short drive from the shop are neutral; I can't say I notice much difference in handling on the road yet. Sharp pavement edges seem to be transmitting more acutely but everything else is dampened well. On the other hand, the tire drone (on RE71RS) is significantly more pronounced. Also getting a fairly prominent clunk going onto the driveway curb at an angle, one wheel at a time. Could this be sway bar hitting things due to a different mount height?

View attachment 57304
Currently using stock end links with the MeisterR's and have had zero problems in the last 58k miles

the rears sounds like a can full of marbles on small imperfections :cautious:
Found the problem; the collars on both rear shocks were loose. Either the installer forgot to tighten them up or they wiggled free somehow. Now everything's quiet aside from more tire growl.

First autocross impressions w/ dampers mostly at -5/-10 recommended by Jerrick and mystery camber until I get a proper alignment next week (but looks like around ~2something degrees up front)...

The car now feels almost infinitely tossable in slaloms. I threw it around as much as I could and it was still composed whereas previously I would've already slid off course or flattened a gate; now I need to learn to move the steering wheel quicker. Sweepers and sharp turns are more of a mixed bag; I feel there's more understeer in certain conditions and I definitely need to get a new feel of how the car rotates now. I tried bumping the rear setting to -6 and it started noticeably skipping and so I bumped it down back to -8. From what I've been told, this may be rectified by lowering the rear pressures because I'm still running them at 44 PSI like I did with stock suspension.

After entire day and at default height settings, I found only a centimeter-wide smidge of rub on the outer edges of the front liner, but then I also found a lot more older marks which I mustve gotten with the old suspension and never noticed until now. Tires are RE71RS in 215/45R16.

Last edited:
The cabin noise keeps being bothersome, and so I measured the levels with a phone app and looks like it's hitting 80dB average at highway speeds (and instantaneously peaking over 100). If the numbers are correct, this is getting into slightly unsafe territory. I'm running RE71RS and used NIOSH noise meter from iOS app store for measurements. Feels like the noise is coming mostly from the front so my only explanation is the pillow ball mounts.

Has anyone tried placing a rubber gasket between the front strut plates and the body? To what success? My installer says gaskets make it difficult to torque the bolts to spec.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The cabin noise keeps being bothersome, and so I measured the levels with a phone app and looks like it's hitting 80dB average at highway speeds (and instantaneously peaking over 100). If the numbers are correct, this is getting into slightly unsafe territory. I'm running RE71RS and used NIOSH noise meter from iOS app store for measurements. Feels like the noise is coming mostly from the front so my only explanation is the pillow ball mounts.

Has anyone tried placing a rubber gasket between the front strut plates and the body? To what success? My installer says gaskets make it difficult to torque the bolts to spec.
I have never heard of this amount of noise before with these I have been running them for several years now as has d-resonant and a lot of other people this sounds really strange no pun intended.

You do know previous versions of RE71 were a damn noisy tire . I would not be surprised if the current ones are still noisy

Last edited:

Damn if your getting these type of noise levels I wonder what I’m getting running 88a motor mounts.

I kinda wanna run tests of my own, but where did you leave your phone? But the only thing I can thing of for general noise dampening is putting a bunch of cloth or foam inside and outside the dash. Did it in a friends 93 Civic, seemed to help quiet a bit. But that was subjective. So I’ll come back tomorrow, I’ll do it on my ride into work.

Ok I was going to try it on the seat and then on my phone holder by the driver side A pillar. The only thing I’m worried about sliding it into the seat is that the phone will eat up the vibrations coming from the seats. And then just for general specs for anything noise related AWR 88a motor mounts, mbrp catback, Yokohama Fleva(300w? Grip/treadwear rating I don’t fully remember), and the coils are still set Fronts - 16 clicks and Rears - 18 clicks(From soft). 1/4 to 1/2 lower than stock height

Last edited:
You do know previous versions of RE71 were a damn noisy tire . I would not be surprised if the current ones are still noisy
I was surprised to find new RS version to be much quieter than the original ones, but that was on stock suspension. I tried varying pressures to mitigate the problem but that didn't do much difference. Alignment after the installation quieted them down only marginally.

the coils are still set Fronts - 16 clicks and Rears - 18 clicks. 1/4 to 1/2 lower than stock height
I'm on recommended -15f/-20r from the stiffest and with perches maxed out so about factory height.

Ok so I laid my phone on my passenger seat and on my way in I got 77 - 81 db highway(60 - 70mph), 72-75db(30-35mph), and 65db idling. So just for me, I think it just confirms for me to go down to softer motor mounts, because I’ve been thinking about it for a while since the noise is just a bit too much at times.

Interesting. With the Meister R's and all stock motor mounts, except a Whoosh street spec RMM, my noise levels are essentially exactly the same as stock.