Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Installed Shifter Base Bushing, now can't slot into 2nd gear

SST

So i had Short Shift and the transmission bushing done 1 year ago with no problem, just today, i install the shifter base bushing, and can't even slot into 2nd gear, i can slot into 1, 3,4,5, and 6 no problem.

I have done the Shifter Cable adjustment, with the yellow tab slot into the line, still can't get it into 2nd.

Checked the battery tray and i have enough clearance, so nothing is blocking the 2 linkage.

redo the installation on the shifter base bushing, and with no success.

car is without battery, but doubt that would make a difference.

Anybody ever have trouble like this?

OP
S

SST

Thread Starter #5
hum, but i can still shift 1,3,4,5,6 smoothly. are the two cable suppose to be straight from the shifter all the way to the transmission top?

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Then theybshouldnbe fine. Habe you rolled the car forward kr back to see if the synchros just werent lined up?

OP
S

SST

Thread Starter #10
oh, never thought of that, i need to charge my battery up to get it starts again, will report back, thanks so much!

OP
S

SST

Thread Starter #12
so i got the car started and its not the synchros, I start driving it, and first gear is now Reverse, and still no 2nd gear.
I still haven't put back the shifter console if this makes a difference.

Does the cable adjustment procedure take care of misalignment this extreme?

OP
S

SST

Thread Starter #14
nope, parts still lying around, no need to drive it due to the pandemic.
But still hopeless on fixing this before i bring it to a mechanic

DangerMouse

so i got the car started and its not the synchros, I start driving it, and first gear is now Reverse, and still no 2nd gear.
I still haven't put back the shifter console if this makes a difference.

Does the cable adjustment procedure take care of misalignment this extreme?
You are trying to go to first gear but it goes into reverse instead? That sounds like a problem with the reverse lockout mechanism. Pull the shift boot and make sure you have the reverse lockout lined up properly.

Erick_V

Can confirm the statement above. Its easy to install the shift boot and knob without realizing the lockout isn't in the correct position. Take a look at how it all works and it'll make sense. You could try to loosen the bolts a little so the base has a tiny bit of wiggle room, the cables could be binding or barely out of alignment

OP
S

SST

Thread Starter #18
Did you disconnect the Shift cables completely? If so ...Did you hook them up wrong?[thankyou]
nope, just enough to lift the shifter base up to install the bushing.

yes, i am sure i can get 1st gear back easily, i am still without the shift boot, so that shouldn't be a big problem. But can't slot on 2nd worries me the most

The shift boot has a collar inside to slide into the mechanism preventing the gear selector from Reverse. If removed, you will have a tough time getting into 1st.