Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is there camaraderie among ST drivers on the road?

wbw

Is there any camaraderie among you ST drivers when on the road? Do you guys wave, or smile or nod or do anything to other ST drivers as a sign of recognition that you are sort of in the same 'club'?

I had a Porsche 914 years ago and Porsche drivers would usually give some type of recognition to other Porsche drivers. Even the 911 guys would acknowledge me in my 914. Of course that was years ago, and maybe things have changed now.

I'm wondering about you Fiesta ST folks because you are a small community of drivers with a 'car enthusiasts' kind of car. I hope to have an ST in the future. I'm currently driving a Veloster Turbo and there is just about zero acknowledgement from other Velosters. Which I find odd. I've had the car for one and a half years and have 24,000 miles on the car, and in that time only one other Veloster has acknowledged me at all. It's a neat little car that has a small community of drivers also. It always amazes me when I'm clearly visable (as in right next to) other Velosters and they stare straight ahead. They don't dare look at me. It leaves me thinking that they're all a bunch of snobs. But it's not like they're driving Ferraris and I'm in my econobox. We're all in the same econobox. But it's a small community of odd looking cars and I keep expecting them to at least look at me.

So do you guys recognize each other on the road with a wave or smile or something? Or is that not done any more and I'm living in a bygone era? Motorcyclists still do the low-hand wave to each other. Am I expecting too much from car owners?

What do you Fiesta ST guys do?

FocusMike

I try to at least give them a wave if I see another ST owner. I've even done it to a few Focus ST owners who gave me a strange look lol. I've also left notes on other FiST I've seen parked at malls or grocery stores to come check out this forum.

OP
W

wbw

Thread Starter #3
I try to at least give them a wave if I see another ST owner. I've even done it to a few Focus ST owners who gave me a strange look lol. I've also left notes on other FiST I've seen parked at malls or grocery stores to come check out this forum.
Glad to hear it.

I get FoST owners mean mugging me a lot. Some look perplexed. Others nod or on occasion wave. I got chased down by a FiST going to work once and he pulled up behind me and chatted. I've chased down a blue one here in Cincinnati. Aside from that I haven't had much love...just hate from all the other drivers on the road angry about being passed by a small black hatchback. Lots of hate...

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
I always catch them going the opposite direction but I always look to see if they see me.

OP
W

wbw

Thread Starter #7
I always catch them going the opposite direction but I always look to see if they see me.
Years ago with the Porsches we would flash the headlights to the guys coming the other way.

I've had other car drivers wave or nod their heads at me - none of them were STs or even Fords. I forget the particular cars but I remember at least two which were tuner cars and both times the driver acknowledged me and the FiST. I was actually caught off guard both times, as I assume most in the area I live in (small city) have no idea what a Fiesta ST is. But as of yet I've not seen another FiST or even a Focus ST where I live (aside from the finance manager who sold me my car, he leases a Focus ST)

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I ran into a modded Mini Cooper S a few weeks ago who was nudging me to run. I gave him a quick 10-50 pull from a light and he had no chance....fast forward to last night, he comes up beside me again and I'm like really...he then started beeping his horn so I rolled down the window and he wanted to chat. We stopped and chatted for a few and he was like " you already got me a few weeks ago...that thing is quick!" Real nice guy. Other than that...I get revved at a lot and I know a lot of the Focus ST guys here. As far as FiSTs, there are a few but I'm always in the Mustang when I see them out and about.

This is big in the Subaru and Jeep world. Probably 90% of the time, I received acknowledgement from other WRX/STI owners. About the only acknowledgement i've received in the ST world is mean mugs from FoST drivers.....quite a disappointment. I have yet to see another FiST on the road. Anyhow, i'm sure they'll be more camaraderie as the brand develops.

I haven't seen too many FiSTs in my area but whenever I do I try to give some signal. A smile or wave if we're side by side, a high beam flash if they're coming from the other direction. I gave a thumbs up to a FoST driver one of the first days I had the car and he gave me a huge grin back :D

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Response from the DC area from Focus ST and Fiesta ST drivers are pretty friendly! Usually point and stare or a nice wave! But there was an middle age lady driving a Focus ST that I was pretty sure had no idea what she was driving, I just had that "feeling" she was up-sold from a SE LOL

When I had a VW Bus it was so much fun every time a bug, bus, or any air cooled VW passed in traffic I would get a wave or thumbs up. Even when I owned a Subaru in Colorado other Subie owners would show love. Now years later in the ST not the case I even saw a black FiST in Texarkana I tried talking to the guy that was driving and he acted like I was the a-hole for tring to talk to him.

Response from the DC area from Focus ST and Fiesta ST drivers are pretty friendly! Usually point and stare or a nice wave! But there was an middle age lady driving a Focus ST that I was pretty sure had no idea what she was driving, I just had that "feeling" she was up-sold from a SE LOL
Lol that's funny! Awesome if its hers and she was upsold. Good bit of car for a soccer mom =P

I have only encountered one other Fiesta ST on the road, and the was in Maryland on Christmas Day. I was gassing up at a 7-11 (I dont remember the town name, it was southern MD though.) and i hear beeeeepbeeepbeeep I look up and another performance blue master race passes by me with BIG smiles and waves!

Here on the island, all we have is Focus ST.. I'm sure there are other Fiesta ST, but when you live on a sand dune with 7 million people, its hard to single out one little extremely rare new car.

Every single Performance Focus of any vintage or color goes absolutely BANANAS when they see me! Headlights goin, horn goin, Four-ways goin... arm out with window, pointing and nodding... it's unlike any automotive fraternity I have ever belonged to. You guys are all great to each other.

Theres a Focus ST in my neighborhood, waves every friggin day (this is metro NY here... this absolutely does not occur) in the morning.

I encounter Foci ST on the parkways and the expressway a lot and they pace me with thumbs up. beep beep...

It really makes my day much brighter seeing another ST brother or sister on the road.... such camraderie up here in the big apple!

Can't really say since I have yet to see another one on the road in 10 months of ownership. I have seen a few FoSTs but every time one sees me it seems they want to race. They act a little jealous like they have something to prove...

Can't really say since I have yet to see another one on the road in 10 months of ownership. I have seen a few FoSTs but every time one sees me it seems they want to race. They act a little jealous like they have something to prove...
If you ever give in, just make sure it has curves or corners. :)

Hard to develop any camaraderie with other Fiesta ST owners when you have only seen one other Fiesta ST in over 6 months!

Try not to pay any attention to them. [wink]
I try not to but it's hard when people in pickup trucks and suvs try to speed up and repass you seemingly out of spite. And I get a black Acura RDX with some mods always hassling me on the way to work. I can't help it people just don't like my FiST.

SPhilli911

Coming from a Subaru STI, which everyone in the world would want to "race" me, I was hoping to blend in and not be noticed, but that doesn't seem like it will be the case.

I'll be sure to wave to others if I ever even see one. I was so excited today I thought I saw one, but it turned out to be a Focus ST, which is also rare around here.