Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Jardamuth Fiesta build and turbo info

Hello everyone. My name is Jess and I'm from Quebec, Canada. I'm CEO of Turbo MS Canada and Turbine Tech Inc. I thought I could share with you guys my passion about turbochargers and cars in general. My Fist is undergoing several mods at the moment and it came to me that I should just snap a few pictures here and there so that we can chat about what's currently going on. I have over 20 years of experience with turbochargers, rebuilding, modifying them and fitting them to various vehicles and power plants. I'm almost done with one of our caterpillar drag truck project. This one is right in the middle of the hoist and preventing my car from being lifted off.

It's only a matter of days before I can start wrenching seriously on it though. In the meantime I've been toying with the idea of building a few custom built turbos for the ST. My current weapon of choice is the twin scroll TD05HRA.

I would like this thread to be turbocharger informational as this has been my business and passion for a very long time. I'm fairly knoweledgeable with just about any turbo on the market. How it works, what it does, pro and cons.. etc. Garrett GTX, BW EFR, etc. If you have any turbo questions, ST related or not, Ill be happy to share my experience.

OP
J
Thread Starter #2
I will go twin scroll due to the strong benefits this design brings to just about any setup. I grabbed a brand new TD05HRA off the shelves and this is what I came up with.

First of, this is the weight difference between the titanium and the inconel shaft.

We are talking about a 61 gramms difference. That's huge. Still the inconel tdo5 shaft is fairly light compared to borgwarner or garrett standards.

OP
J
Thread Starter #3
Now let's toss in a billet wheel. Forged wheels are usually much lighter than cast wheels. This time however, the stock TD05HRA magnesium unit at 57gr was a tough nut to crack. At 60gr, the forged wheel is a hair heavier but to it's defense, it has more material than the stocker, thanks to a larger inducer, more height and extended tips.

To offset this, I machined the turbine end to shave weight. Removal of the socket end saved an astondishing... 3 grams. Back to the starting point but at least we have a larger, more efficient wheel to start with.

This is how the CHRA looks with the larger wheel and VSR rebalanced components.

OP
J
Thread Starter #4
Larger wheel mean machining of the compressor housing. Here is how it looks with the rebore and reshaping of the transition curve.

Doesn't look half that bad. I like how the turbo is clocked from stock on the EVO. I think it will suit the ST configuration just fine. The turbine outlet is angled just the right way downward, so is the compressor outlet. Some tweaks on the water lines and here you go.

This picture speaks thousands. See how the counter rotating design of the flange stands it out away from the block. This should allow for a very nice, efficient twin scroll manifold.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Parts and labor, how much would just the turbocharger unit cost without a manifold or anything else? Titanium wheel and all.

That cat setup is pretty awesome looking !

Rhinopolis

I had to research "twin scroll" to catch up on why we would want to go this route, as well as what our challenges might be. This article might be a good reference for those who are like me and have some learning to do.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/engine/modp-0906-twin-scroll-turbo-system-design/

EDIT: Found this one too, which is more recent and from Dsport #162 sometime in 2015

http://dsportmag.com/the-tech/twin-scroll-vs-single-scroll-turbo-test-the-great-divide/

OP
J
Thread Starter #9
That is a good article indeed. Twin scroll turbos have been used in diesel application for a very long time. Caterpillar, Cummins, Detroit, they all use this design. Diesel engines carry a much higher gases velocity per RPM and are more sensitive to that sort of things, especially given the narrow powerband they are operating within.

Parts and labor, how much would just the turbocharger unit cost without a manifold or anything else? Titanium wheel and all.

That cat setup is pretty awesome looking !
Thanks. That is a C18 (18 liters) Caterpillar engine running anywhere between 70-80psi of boost. Left front wheel is lifted off 2ft from the ground when runing at full power.

I thought you already had a setup underway? Aren't you 100% satisfied with the current turbo you have?

OP
J
Thread Starter #12
There is not much you can do with the stock turbo parts unfortunately. The turbine housing is already too small for 200 ponies. Increasing the turbine wheel size without increasing turbine A/R won't work well. Of course, there are some minor gains to be had but increase in backpressure and heat will be detrimental to engine reliability and fuel economy.

Very cool setup on the big engine! Is everything made in house?
Would you be making a manifold for the twin scroll ST?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I thought you already had a setup underway? Aren't you 100% satisfied with the current turbo you have?
I'm running the stock turbo right now.

Last time I priced a Titanium turbine wheeled TD05, it was $3600 for the turbo unit, that's why I asked. No doubt it could be built cheaper, as that was just an off the shelf turbo. In any case, a custom twin-scroll manifold with a titanium wheeled TD05 and billet wheel would he one hellava turbo setup for this car. Maybe a little big for me. But should EASILY make 350whp and have great response. Since its an all out type setup, there are conversions to ball bearing you could do too...

My next setup is "hurry up and wait". My poor car is down there with 200whp on 93oct right this second. Throttle closures and all. I don't feel like even tuning it, but after swapping the head out, I'm happy just to be driving it :)

Hey Jess! Glad to see you here.

For the forum members benefit, I must say that Jess has a very good reputation in the turbo world. He also comes from the same place as me... Suzuki Swift GT.

Remember this one?

I am sure that people from the FIST community can benefit from your expertise. Welcome!

Philippe

OP
J
Thread Starter #17
The turbo I picked came with a 10.5cm turbine housing but I'll probably use a 9.8cm for a better bottom end and broader powerband. I've used those TD05HR on 1.6 liter engines before and was pleasantly surprised by the response. The titanium shaft makes wonders for spoolup. I could have converted it to ball bearing but it just wasn't worth it.

350whp? That would probably exceed limits of the turbo on a 1.6. I'm only aiming for 275whp on 91 gas. I just really like how the large twin scroll turbine free up the exhaust path for less backpressure and less heat.

If I remember correctly, we managed 325whp on our dynapac with a stock B18C and a soaked up intercooler at 22psi. I'm pretty sure it was with a 10.5cm turbine though.

Then there was this suzuki cultus AWD setup we built with a 1.6 engine and sidewinder manifold. This one was with a 9.8cm turbine with inconel wheel and was spooling quite fast.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
I love everything in the thread! Welcome aboard thanks for sharing, definitely subscribed!

OP
J
Thread Starter #19
Hey Jess! Glad to see you here.

For the forum members benefit, I must say that Jess has a very good reputation in the turbo world. He also comes from the same place as me... Suzuki Swift GT.

Remember this one?

I am sure that people from the FIST community can benefit from your expertise. Welcome!

Philippe
Hey Phil! What a surprise! :) Are u running a FIst too? It's been a long time!

I'm out of the tuning scene now. Sold the dynapac to an european shop many years ago. We are mostly building high end turbochargers these days for drag truck and tractor pulling. Sold our mazdaspeed rights and patents to an american company.

I'm not offering any parts or services on this forum as I want to retain my freedom of speech. Ill gladly share any turbo infos and buildup stories in this thread.