Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Jeff's new beater project, pt. 2

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
Is "M P G" available?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Bro I really appreciate the idea, that's a good one!

It won't let me do the spaces but it will let me bump them up and it is available. Dang that's pretty worthy I might use that one.

Here are a few other ideas:

Shocked that MPG and INSIGHT aren't taken. Maybe I shouldn't be.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
Tonight I took the car's soul out...IMA battery is 72 lbs!. Replacement coming via FedEx tomorrow. Such a fun car to work on. This IMA battery replacement will yield me enough horsepower and torque to take on the new Teslas. NOT! But I am excited to get her alive again.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Awesome.
I'll be interested to know how the car feels with this new battery.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
Awesome.
I'll be interested to know how the car feels with this new battery.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Thanks. This has been an incredibly fun project. Not sure I can sell this car now.

Battery install was fairly simple, I just had to be careful not to get electrocuted and die. All those warning stickers send a message! Honda wants several hundred dollars (I've read between $200-$500) for the labor but it's not too bad, about 4 hours total being super careful.

So the car is quite different now. MPG is about the same, the IMA doesn't help efficiency rather it adds power making efficiency more possible because you can actually move along without having to floor it all the time. The added torque is nice, iirc it's about +30. Believe it or not the car feels "peppy" - that's the word the reviewers use and it's true. 1878 pounds moves around easy. From 0-30 the car has plenty of power if you rev it. It as VTEC too so that's helpful. It's interesting to note the torque curve and acceleration data below:

0-20 mph (s): 2.3
0-30 mph (s): 3.5
0-40 mph (s): 5.5
0-50 mph (s): 7.8
0-60 mph (s): 10.5

So sure it's slow to 60 but 3 seconds to 30 isn't bad. Any decent acceleration dies off after 40mph but still it feels quick because by then you're in traffic and about doing the speed limit.

Here's something crazy...my fuel bar (to the right in the pic below) is still at all full bars even after 100 miles on this tank. It's a 10.9 gallon tank and from what I'm reading 600-700 miles is normal per tank.

I'll be doing a few more vids in the next few weeks to document the IMA experience. My Insight videos haven't attracted nearly as many as my Fiesta or Prelude ones but I guess that should be no surprise, most people seem to have great disdain for these cars.

Mikey456

I guess that should be no surprise, most people seem to have great disdain for these cars.[/QUOTE]

I think that depends on a) price of gas b) where you live. Hybrids/electric cars are popular here on the West Coast. U could probably make a business out of refurbishing hybrids especially the Prius. People spend thousands replacing the battery at shops.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
Sold it today, dude drove down from DC to Georgia to purchase sight unseen. Bought $2150, restored, sold $6000, about $1k profit. Fun little adventure over the last 3 months. I have a deep appreciation for these cars.

Time to drive the ST more now.