Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Kumho Ecsta PS32 (215/45R17) Tires Plausible? Experiences?

Dialcaliper

I have generally heard that Sparcos are good wheels, and I like that rally look, but I would not want to get a discontinued model. If I bend or break one, I would want to have a readily available replacement. If I was going to buy a set of those now, I would buy five to have an extra one.
I think that going from a 17-in wheel to a 15-in one adds too much sidewall and compromises the best asset of the car, which is its quick and agile handling. That said, there are a lot of people on here with 15-in wheels who are happy with them.
Those tires strike me as too narrow and too low performance. I realize your car is going to be used as a daily driver/commuter, but I still would want to retain higher performance handling for the times when you can use it. Also, the tread width on that tire is only 5.7", too narrow to mount on a 7" wheel. That number is a more reliable number than section width, which is provided by the manufacturer and is subject to a range of tolerances.
The discontinued is a good point.

However I’d very much disagree on the 15” & 16” wheels.

It’s not really written anywhere, but I’ve noticed for some reason probably related to the spring rate of the inflated tire itself, modern radial tire sizes aimed around outright performance and grip tend to have sidewall heights between between about 95mm to 110mm with only few deviations as you get up around 295/305 width where sidewalls start to become shorter (around 85mm). It’s eerily almost universal across performance tires 200TW and lower, with only a sparse few outliers.

Part of it is probably that tires with sidewalls shorter than about 85mm require XL load ratings (and higher operating pressures for the same load), which means extra belts and correspondingly stiffer tire carcasses that don’t grip the road as well. And clearly tires with taller sidewalls tend to be too soft and squirmy.

Much wider tires probably have slightly softer rates just because of the overall width span. I don’t fully know why this is, maybe tire manufacturers know. (But they don’t tend to share)

In other car platforms, especially older ones that tended to come with more narrow balloon tires with very tall sidewalls, you see the more typical “plus sizing” of wheels, but they usually stop in that 95-110mm range and shorter sidewalls generally get considered only for “cosmetic” reasons.

The 17” wheels this car comes with are more or less too large to fit a decent tire on with the wheelwell space available, and the OEM tires are skinny rubber bands with 82mm XL reinforced sidewalls that by that criteria are too stiff. This can largely be explained by the fact that the Fiesta chassis has a lot of holdover design from the older Mk6 and Mazda 2, and there simply isn’t enough wheelwell space left to keep up with the modern automaker trend of steadily increasing wheel size, so Ford jumped through stupid hoops with skinny tires and mass dampers to sell huge 17” wheels on a Fiesta.

This might explain the tendency for track oriented Fiestas to shift to 16 or 15” tires which is completely opposite the typical trend, and to be honest completely baffled me when I first learned about it, until I paid attention to the actual sidewall height.

Tire width/section that fall in this range (applicable to our fitment - actual wheel size does not seem to be all that relevant)

195/55, 195/50
205/50, 205/55
215/45, 215/50
225/45, 225/50
235/45
245/40, 245/45
255/40, 255/45
Etc.

Some of those don’t exist in real tires, but otherwise you’ll notice most of the really common performance tire sizes in there (it reads a lot like a 200TW tire catalog)

Note this trend does fall apart a little for super wide pure and non-DOT race tires, but you also start to see stuff like Hoosiers start carrying the LL (light load) designations on them, meaning different tire construction and designs for even lower operating pressures.

If anyone does figure out an explanation other than tire spring rate and XL construction, please let me know!

Last edited:

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
The discontinued is a good point.

However I’d very much disagree on the 15” & 16” wheels.

It’s not really written anywhere, but I’ve noticed for some reason probably related to the spring rate of the inflated tire itself, modern radial tire sizes aimed around outright performance and grip tend to have sidewall heights between between about 95mm to 110mm with only few deviations as you get up around 295/305 width where sidewalls start to become shorter (around 85mm). It’s eerily almost universal across performance tires 200TW and lower, with only a sparse few outliers.

Part of it is probably that tires with sidewalls shorter than about 85mm require XL load ratings (and higher operating pressures for the same load), which means extra belts and correspondingly stiffer tire carcasses that don’t grip the road as well. And clearly tires with taller sidewalls tend to be too soft and squirmy.

Much wider tires probably have slightly softer rates just because of the overall width span. I don’t fully know why this is, maybe tire manufacturers know. (But they don’t tend to share)

In other car platforms, especially older ones that tended to come with more narrow balloon tires with very tall sidewalls, you see the more typical “plus sizing” of wheels, but they usually stop in that 95-110mm range and shorter sidewalls generally get considered only for “cosmetic” reasons.

The 17” wheels this car comes with are more or less too large to fit a decent tire on with the wheelwell space available, and the OEM tires are skinny rubber bands with 82mm XL reinforced sidewalls that by that criteria are too stiff. This can largely be explained by the fact that the Fiesta chassis has a lot of holdover design from the older Mk6 and Mazda 2, and there simply isn’t enough wheelwell space left to keep up with the modern automaker trend of steadily increasing wheel size, so Ford jumped through stupid hoops with skinny tires and mass dampers to sell huge 17” wheels on a Fiesta.

This might explain the tendency for track oriented Fiestas to shift to 16 or 15” tires which is completely opposite the typical trend, and to be honest completely baffled me when I first learned about it, until I paid attention to the actual sidewall height.

Tire width/section that fall in this range (applicable to our fitment - actual wheel size does not seem to be all that relevant)

195/55, 195/50
205/50, 205/55
215/45, 215/50
225/45, 225/50
235/45
245/40, 245/45
255/40, 255/45
Etc.

Some of those don’t exist in real tires, but otherwise you’ll notice most of the really common performance tire sizes in there (it reads a lot like a 200TW tire catalog)

Note this trend does fall apart a little for super wide pure and non-DOT race tires, but you also start to see stuff like Hoosiers start carrying the LL (light load) designations on them, meaning different tire construction and designs for even lower operating pressures.

If anyone does figure out an explanation other than tire spring rate and XL construction, please let me know!
That's a fascinating analysis, and shows me this subject is a lot more complicated and subtle than I thought it was.
I thought about the wheel size of these cars a lot. Maybe I'm giving Ford Performance too much credit, but I find it hard to believe that they chose 17-in wheels just because the trend was to go bigger. It seems like they put a lot of thought into all the performance aspects of this car, so I hope that they chose the wheel size that they did for performance reasons and not just for appearance or to follow a trend.

Last edited:
OP
NOVA_Ranger

NOVA_Ranger

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #23
I found a solution to my wheel and tire questions, for a while at least. I picked up a set of Sparco Assetto wheels (17"x7") with Bridgestone Potenza RE050As (205/40R17) for $225. The wheels need some refurbishing, but look to be serviceable/straight, and I'd say the tires are at about 60%. I'll post some pictures when I get the wheels done and have them mount on the car.

Attachments

I found a solution to my wheel and tire questions, for a while at least. I picked up a set of Sparco Assetto wheels (17"x7") with Bridgestone Potenza RE050As (205/40R17) for $225. The wheels need some refurbishing, but look to be serviceable/straight, and I'd say the tires are at about 60%. I'll post some pictures when I get the wheels done and have them mount on the car.
Those wheels look nice!

For what it's worth, I would recommend still getting new tires. You saved a ton of money on the wheels so you're still coming out way ahead. Unless the tires look "like new", like you said this is your daily. That being the case, I wouldn't trust any well-used summer tire on a public road without knowing with absolute certainty that the tire wasn't mounted on the car in sub-40degree weather and the car it was previously on wasn't lowered (to prevent rubbing, getting cut up from fenders, etc).

I put 215/45/R17 Firehawks on my stock suspension Fiesta ST and it fits without any real issue and fills out the wheel well with a beefier sidewall to give that slight "rally look" you say you're after. It's almost too beefy for my liking.

There are a few tires you can get in that size if you're following @Dialcaliper guidelines above and think 215/40/R17 is a little too firm (the forum-revered Falken RT660 and RT615 come in that size from TireRack). The Firehawks get poo-poo'd a little on this forum because it's one of those "good at everything, great at nothing" tires but they're: relatively cheap; offer good (not great) grip; and are good in the rain (not just...livable). Full honesty, in full wheel lock making a right turn and hitting a bump (there's a poorly leveled exit off a bridge that i sometimes attack), my front driver side tire does hit the bump stop. I don't have mud flaps though and my wheel width is 7.5" and not 7" so i *think* there will be a little more sidewall if you mount the same spec tire on your new wheels.

Something you need to consider if you do put 215/45R17 tires on the car, your speedo won't match your actual speed. for most of us that isn't an issue. but i don't know what VA cops are like and if they're similar to some states i regularly drive through, when your speedo is saying you're only going 75mph, you're actually going closer to 77 or 78mph...

I was running 215/45 Indy 500's for several years across two sets of tires and have found that I get better handling characteristics and overall grip out of my 205/45 DWS 06 Plus set now. Got rid of the little bit of rub under high compression and it's a very confidence inspiring all season. Very happy with those on 17x7.5 wheels for my all around set. I like the Firehawk Indy 500's though. Felt like they performed pretty damn well in the cold for what they were, same with rain compared to my Proxes R888R's which are a nightmare in standing water once they've worn a bit. It just felt like they would get soft and greasy even on the street pushing them hard. Moved away from those once they got to $170 per tire wherever I could find them when I was looking 6ish months ago. When they were locally available around $100 per wheel I wasn't considering anything else.

Just sharing some hands-on thoughts. Have never had any of this on the track etc.

I was running 215/45 Indy 500's for several years across two sets of tires and have found that I get better handling characteristics and overall grip out of my 205/45 DWS 06 Plus set now. Got rid of the little bit of rub under high compression and it's a very confidence inspiring all season. Very happy with those on 17x7.5 wheels for my all around set. I like the Firehawk Indy 500's though. Felt like they performed pretty damn well in the cold for what they were, same with rain compared to my Proxes R888R's which are a nightmare in standing water once they've worn a bit. It just felt like they would get soft and greasy even on the street pushing them hard. Moved away from those once they got to $170 per tire wherever I could find them when I was looking 6ish months ago. When they were locally available around $100 per wheel I wasn't considering anything else.

Just sharing some hands-on thoughts. Have never had any of this on the track etc.
i think if i were to do it again i might've gotten RT615s in 215/40 since i am going big turbo this summer. the big thing that would hold me back is i have no plans on upgrading the clutch and even on e30 stock turbo tune, that's a lot of torque going to the transmission if you have sticky enough tires to transfer all that power to the ground. for me, Indy 500s are a nice check to keep my tranny healthy. I'd rather the tires spin then the clutch break. Costco was running a big end of summer deal on the Indys so i got them for like $150/each including balance and mount. if i had to pay $170 just for the tire i would've definitely gotten the RT615s (RT660s were out of stock and significantly more expensive so that was never an option for me).

also i don't push the car hard even by weekend canyon carver standards. so for my driving style i will never approach the limits of the Firehawks. but based on what everyone has written, if i ever autoX or track this car i will be cursing up a storm as Civics with 200TW tires blow by me.

i think if i were to do it again i might've gotten RT615s in 215/40 since i am going big turbo this summer. the big thing that would hold me back is i have no plans on upgrading the clutch and even on e30 stock turbo tune, that's a lot of torque going to the transmission if you have sticky enough tires to transfer all that power to the ground. for me, Indy 500s are a nice check to keep my tranny healthy. I'd rather the tires spin then the clutch break.

also i don't push the car hard even by weekend canyon carver standards. so for my driving style i will never approach the limits of the Firehawks. but based on what everyone has written, if i ever autoX or track this car i will be cursing up a storm as Civics with 200TW tires blow by me.
Hahaa, apparently so! It's fun getting the Fiesta to rotate on the street through a perfectly timed green arrow :ROFLMAO: That's my point of comparison for these tires. Just seeing where they let go, how they roll, etc.

That's where my head is at too though long term. The R888R's are nuts as a street drag tire. Which on a stock turbo + E30 tune is insanity from a stop. But right? That's a ton of force getting dropped into your transmission, axles, etc. and I'm a bit weary of doing that as often as I was a few months back. All great points to define your own balance of grip vs wear for sure. I'm looking at those Advan Fleva V701's as an alternative to where the Indy 500's sit performance wise since it seems like a bit of a sweet spot for certain peoples setups and needs.

Last edited: