Led Number Plate lights

Member ID
I changed the number plate lights in my MK6 Fiesta ST to LED bulbs. They look great however after about 4 days it blows the fuse which is linked to the Speedo and Radio lights meaning I no longer have a light up Speedo (Difficult for night driving)

I replace it with a 7Amp fuse as it came with number 33 in the fuse box. Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks guys:D

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Member ID
Does the fuse still blow if you install the non led bulbs in there?

OP
AFRAIDN
Member ID
Thread Starter #3
Well I've only replaced the fuse once, but left the LEDs in as I was hoping it would be coincidence but its blown again, will be putting original back in. But I want LED bulbs in, is there anything I can do?

Cheers

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Member ID
Check to see if the wire connected to the lights are exposed.

OP
AFRAIDN
Member ID
Thread Starter #5
To the rear lights there not exposed. There the same type and size as the other bulbs I checked it out on the internet before buying :-/

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Member ID
To the rear lights there not exposed. There the same type and size as the other bulbs I checked it out on the internet before buying :-/
What I meant is to check the wires connected to the bulb to see if its exposed and causing a short with the metal. Maybe you just got some bad bulbs..try swapping out the bulbs with the old see if it stops the fuse from blowing.

Member ID
LEDs are low resistance so you might be drawing more current. Try the sort with a resistor fitted or wire one in manually?

OP
AFRAIDN
Member ID
Thread Starter #8
Ahh yes sorry, I did check the wires and they all seem to be fine. Its odd though as the fuse won't blow until around 5 days after the fuse is changed.
I have currently replaced the bulbs with the original so I shall wait and see
Cheers

OP
AFRAIDN
Member ID
Thread Starter #10
I've had these bulbs for the number plate for about 2 months now and haven't had any problems. That said, I'm guessing you're Euro spec, so it could be different.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/instrument-cluster-gauge/194-led-bulb-6-led-wedge-base/200/
My bulbs are actually a 239 Festoon bulb which I checked fitted on
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/ford-fiesta-hatchback-2006-06
I brought them from Halfords for convenience as I wanted to be able to take them back if faulty, and they seem to keep blowing the fuses :-/ it takes a few days to blow though:mad:

Member ID
My bulbs are actually a 239 Festoon bulb which I checked fitted on
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/ford-fiesta-hatchback-2006-06
I brought them from Halfords for convenience as I wanted to be able to take them back if faulty, and they seem to keep blowing the fuses :-/ it takes a few days to blow though:mad:
Yeah, in that case the Euro Spec model must be using different bulbs that the North America models, sorry if I can't be much help. :(

OP
AFRAIDN
Member ID
Thread Starter #12
Yeah, in that case the Euro Spec model must be using different bulbs that the North America models, sorry if I can't be much help. :(
Don't be silly :) any contribution could help :) its just a tad annoying that I can't work out why the fuse keeps going :-/

OP
AFRAIDN
Member ID
Thread Starter #13
Just an update, I needed Can bus ready ones brought off eBay and all sorted :D