Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Linux Boost Gauge + Ignition Activated Accessories - New Member Ice-breaker!

Hey Everyone,

Just purchased a new 2016 Fiesta ST about 3 months ago and figured it was time to start joining some conversations! I've been building custom Carputers and infotainment mods for about 8 years and have just started working on my Fiesta. I did a quick search and didn't see either of the first two mods I just completed so I thought they'd make a great ice-breaker! I updated Sync to version 3 with Carplay and Android Auto since its a 2016 and not a 2017. As a result, I didn't find any need to remove the stock head-unit (to my chagrin).

First mod, which is super easy and someone has probably already done, was adding an outlet for ignition activated accessories. My previous cars all turned on and off the 12v port with the ignition and as a result, I kept forgetting to turn off my Passport 8500. On top of that, my dash-cam was rendered useless without some sort of on/off signal. I hardwired both devices (I can't stand wires hanging on my dash), snaking their cables into the dash, coming out by the glove-box fuse box. If anyone is interested in doing the same, I can post a quick tutorial with pictures. It's insanely simple and really convenient.

Second mod was a bit more complicated. I usually add boost gauges to my vehicles where needed and this car was begging for one (OVERBOOST!!). At the moment, I'm short on cash and all the options were not only expensive, but not quite what I was looking for. I had a left over backup-camera 3.5" lcd and a ton of embedded boards (Raspberry Pi's, C.H.I.P., etc.) lying around so I figured I'd make a digital boost gauge myself. Amazingly enough, someone else had already done this mod on a Fiesta ST, but he used a simple 2-line, OLED screen and his placement wasn't ideal in my opinion. I wanted a digital boost gauge with a dial that looked analog and could display whatever OBDII information that I wished. I'm just finishing up working out the bugs and if anyone is interested, I'll post detailed instructions. It looks great and total cost has been ~$50.

I'll add pictures of my setup soon, thanks for reading!

(Here's the source of the second mod for anyone intrepid enough to give it a try: http://blog.bpwalters.com/raspberry-pi-obd-ii-carputer/)

Amazingly enough, someone else had already done this mod on a Fiesta ST, but he used a simple 2-line, OLED screen and his placement wasn't ideal in my opinion. I wanted a digital boost gauge with a dial that looked analog and could display whatever OBDII information that I wished. I'm just finishing up working out the bugs and if anyone is interested, I'll post detailed instructions. It looks great and total cost has been ~$50.

I'll add pictures of my setup soon, thanks for reading!

(Here's the source of the second mod for anyone intrepid enough to give it a try: http://blog.bpwalters.com/raspberry-pi-obd-ii-carputer/)
Hey that's me! Thanks for the shout-out! It's awesome to see someone else tackle the same type of project. I've actually moved on to working on an Arduino-based Accessport "clone", as I agreed - the 16x2 OLED wasn't cuttin' the mustard:

The guy that wrote that article is a real tool.
Hi Justin.

OP
slipcougar
Thread Starter #10
Hey, that's awesome, nice to get in touch! I was searching for some options regarding the gauge when I came upon yours, for the same car no less! I was flabbergasted, you saved me a ton of time and research. My test rig is much like your new rig but with a Pi and 5" HDMI powered touchscreen I got from AliExpress and mounted with an old GPS arm. The wiring was a bit too unwieldy so I switched to the backup camera display and an NTC C.H.I.P. which, if you're not already familiar, is a tiny $9 arm board with built in Wifi and Bluetooth not to mention a dedicated battery jack which I've connected an old PS3 controller battery. Since I couldn't find an appropriate UPS for it, I added a script which safely powers it down when the battery gets low. Not the cleanest hack, but it'll do. I found some python code for gauges and I've been tweaking it all for the past few days. It's damn clean looking, I'll post some shots when I have time to finish. Thanks for the help, usually it takes weeks or months to get all the info I need to start a project like this!

Hey, that's awesome, nice to get in touch! I was searching for some options regarding the gauge when I came upon yours, for the same car no less! I was flabbergasted, you saved me a ton of time and research. My test rig is much like your new rig but with a Pi and 5" HDMI powered touchscreen I got from AliExpress and mounted with an old GPS arm. The wiring was a bit too unwieldy so I switched to the backup camera display and an NTC C.H.I.P. which, if you're not already familiar, is a tiny $9 arm board with built in Wifi and Bluetooth not to mention a dedicated battery jack which I've connected an old PS3 controller battery. Since I couldn't find an appropriate UPS for it, I added a script which safely powers it down when the battery gets low. Not the cleanest hack, but it'll do. I found some python code for gauges and I've been tweaking it all for the past few days. It's damn clean looking, I'll post some shots when I have time to finish. Thanks for the help, usually it takes weeks or months to get all the info I need to start a project like this!
Sounds like an awesome setup! Can't wait to see some pics of the finished product.

I'm glad my project was helpful for you - I spent over a year troubleshooting/testing/tweaking everything to get it working the way I wanted, so I documenting everything was a must.

If you want to get in touch, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my email! I always love some inspiration.

OP
slipcougar
Thread Starter #12
Sounds like an awesome setup! Can't wait to see some pics of the finished product.

I'm glad my project was helpful for you - I spent over a year troubleshooting/testing/tweaking everything to get it working the way I wanted, so I documenting everything was a must.

If you want to get in touch, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my email! I always love some inspiration.
Thanks! That setup looks great, you gotta give me more info on what you're trying to accomplish capability wise with the Arduino. I'm hoping to get the MP215 kit soon with the MTune/Accessport but I doubt I'll leave it connected after I flash. As cool as it looks, I'm afraid someone will smash my window and take it (even though I believe its paired to your car).