Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Lower Chassis Brace/Tiebar?

iso100

1000 Post Club
I just stumbled across this while browsing eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Ford-F...pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item2ed3d3c860&vxp=mtr

From the description:
We've built a 2 point lower tiebar brace to help minimize the deflection in the stock crossmember/ a-arm mounts and stiffen up the crossmember. Overall, the brace gives the driver a more precise feel at turn in thru midcorner. The 2 point brace bolts to the front of the a-arm bolts and keeps the control arm mounts from flexing which reduces the toe change in both braking and acceleration. We've made our bars from chromoly alloy steel for both the strength and weight savings. The 2 point bar weighs in under 2lbs and is 200% stronger and more rigid than bars made from mild steel. The install is very easy, with common handtools a person can complete the install in under an hour. Our bars are usually built to order and can be painted many different colors---let us know what color you'd like in a small note and we'll do our best to accommodate!

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I've seen people request this part... But I have no idea how well it will or will not work. Looks cool though :)

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I had the proto type from FSWerks on my "11 Fiesta SES.

It will NOT fit the Fiesta ST.

Dave

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
This one specifically states it's for the ST and the photo shows the charge pipe with the donut.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Not saying your wrong... But that is certainly a fist in the picture... How'd it work on the ses ?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Not saying your wrong... But that is certainly a fist in the picture... How'd it work on the ses ?
I didn't look at the photo closely.
It look exactly as the one that FSWerks made.
However I see that it sets a little lower to clear the boost pipes.

We will just have to wait until someone on the forum buys one and reports back on it.
Oh, that won't take too long.
I just ordered one.

Dave

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Dave... You just became my 2nd favorite forum member behind Rick/raamaudio. You are 2nd of a list on.... 2. Lol

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Dave... You just became my 2nd favorite forum member behind Rick/raamaudio. You are 2nd of a list on.... 2. Lol
I just wanted to point out i feel that way because you didn't ask for a dyno, a data log, 12hours at a road course on 6 different sets of tires, or 1/4 mile times.

That also explains how well it worked on your old ses fiesta, lol

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
The other good thing is that this seller is less than 50 miles from me.
So if he ships soon I will have it on the car this weekend.

It should only be 15 minute install.

Dave

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Srt4's had lower control arm bushing upgrades that made a huge difference in the amount of wheel hop, i wonder if the there is anything out there for the fist like that. I'd like to think this mod would help secure that whole area to reduce wheel hop.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
On a well built car, this type of brace should NOT provide much difference,
However if you do performance driving street or track, things can and will move.

This type of brace helps keep things in place, so you DON'T feel a difference.

Dave

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Looks pretty cool to me and I care more about performance than looks so am interested in this:)

I have made my own before but had sections that tied forward as far as I could go to the frame rails, this does effect the crumple zone so have to consider that aspect.

I have been considering building something but had not come up with any exact plans, this may be like what I do or just buy one.....it would help at least a bit for us wanting all we can get out of the handling of this car.

Rick

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thanks for the link:)

The ST is a very solid car and being smaller makes it more solid in many aspects.

I recommend to really consider if needed as if not really then it is added weight that does nothing for performance, lots of stuff sold like that including braces for places not really needing to be stiffer.

It there is a need determined by those that really know then by all means I would do whatever it takes to make the car better.

What I have determined so far, just from taking a good look at the design of the car and a history of modding many cars.

1) Front STB, not likely needed unless all out track duty car build and then may still not be needed.

2) Rear, shock tower brace, the car is very well built back there, if not on full coilovers I doubt it would do any good. If on coilovers there might be enough flex to need it but even then is is very solid in that area.

3) set of four underbody braces, probably only needed, if so, on hard core track, drift, etc builds.

Anything we do that does not give a proven performance gain will give a performance loss in most all cases. It is far better to spend mod money on gains first, style second, some of these parts may be more style than substance, to me at least:)

FocusMike

I didn't look at the photo closely.
It look exactly as the one that FSWerks made.
However I see that it sets a little lower to clear the boost pipes.

We will just have to wait until someone on the forum buys one and reports back on it.
Oh, that won't take too long.
I just ordered one.

Dave
Thanks for doing this for us.

XuperXero

The ST is a very solid car and being smaller makes it more solid in many aspects.

I recommend to really consider if needed as if not really then it is added weight that does nothing for performance, lots of stuff sold like that including braces for places not really needing to be stiffer.

It there is a need determined by those that really know then by all means I would do whatever it takes to make the car better.

What I have determined so far, just from taking a good look at the design of the car and a history of modding many cars.

1) Front STB, not likely needed unless all out track duty car build and then may still not be needed.

2) Rear, shock tower brace, the car is very well built back there, if not on full coilovers I doubt it would do any good. If on coilovers there might be enough flex to need it but even then is is very solid in that area.

3) set of four underbody braces, probably only needed, if so, on hard core track, drift, etc builds.

Anything we do that does not give a proven performance gain will give a performance loss in most all cases. It is far better to spend mod money on gains first, style second, some of these parts may be more style than substance, to me at least:)
Agreed. I have yet to be able to push hard enough to feel real flexing of our chassis. Anybody else feel flex on our chassis yet?

Just ordered my Cobb RMM to help with the wheel hop.

Is there an anti lift kit available or any mods reckon improve cornering faster?

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
I don't think you can really feel chassis flex until you can drive the same conditions after removing it.

The difference is likely subtle but I would go out on a limb and assert that an avid autocrosser or road racer will feel the difference on turn-in.

True

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
Seeing that this bar only weighs 2 pounds I'm thinking it's a safe mod for under $100. I can see it retaining the desired front suspension geometry under high load in a corner while encountering bumps and dips.

This won't likely be a massive difference the butt dyno can detect but could be one of those small incremental improvements that when added to all the other modifications make the car that much better than before.