Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Merry Christmas...And

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I have been entertaining getting the Fiesta ST...sort of already negotiated a deal, but haven't pulled the trigger.

I had an original focus...and two SVT's which were nightmares, at best. ALWAYS in the shop...the last SVT...I was able to get 144k before she went to the pasture. Out of that 144k only 5k of that was problem free.
I did do some mods but I was last guy to always to do so as to compliment the car well so it doesn't upset the balance of the engineering and such. Obviously, by modding it takes away from longevity no matter how many times you say to yourself...it'll be OK.

With the Fiesta ST...I don't want to mess with it. Anyhow, I wanted to throw that out there and get your thoughts. Thank you.

Merry Christmas!

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Pull the trigger. I owed a 01' focus zx3 and after 4 years with it, i said "I'll never own another ford again". Then my ex-wife got a job at a ford dealer and cars suddenly became cheaper, lol. She had that rare 2-door 2010-2011 ish focus and it was AWESOME. We had a fusion sport ( fusion with the Taurus's bigger 3.5L instead of the 3.0L ranger motor ). Then a 2013 flex. All 3 were really nice vehicles with no issues.

When the focus ST came out, I drove it. I was impressed by everything but how crazy it was all over the place when pushed on the street. Besides that, the focus is prob the best stock fwd car I've ever driven ( and i had a 409whp 505tq srt4 ). I decided to wait and drive the fist because I'd heard it was going to lighter and the current fiesta was more fun to drive vs the current standard focus. So I waited. I drove the fist for 7 miles before I "broke" the shift linkage. The car was stuck in 4th gear. I limped it back to the dealership and after only 7 miles, i decided I had to have one. Drove 3-4 hours to another ford dealership to buy one with Recaros.

After a year of ownership, a trip the dragon, and really abusing the car on a regualr biases, I'm happy to tell anyone that this car completely wiped ford's slate clean for me after the 01' focus being the worst car I've ever owned period.

What ever happened at ford, right before Dodge/chevy took all the bail out money, it was a great change !! All car makers have set backs, but the 2009+ fords made a huge leap in everything ( in my book ).

Only issue I've seen so far is that with the focus and fiesta sT's, the techs at the dealership have no idea what so ever on what they are doing. If its not a V8 truck or mustang, they have little interest in learning how to work on it. Truth is, you roll the dice anywhere you go from best buy to buy a TV to the car wash to being pulled over by a cop. Sometimes, you get someone that is awesome at there job , and passionate about the job and the company. Other times, you can get a moron that hates the job, hates the company, and cares little about learning how to do new things. I see this daily in my field. Maybe ford dealers have an aging tech pool, as most "mechanic" type jobs are all suffering from. Too many computer programmers making $150k a year, and not enough guys that can swing a 10lbs sledge hammer with accuracy. What ever the case, chances are, your friends with turbo cars or internet forums while be a great source of finding an issue if one comes up, so we're glad your here.

Dealerships and car builders pretty much have that whole " pistons and camshafts thing" figured out. When it comes to direct injected fwd turbo cars? Not so much from what I've seen ( powerstroke techs of the world, help these babies out !!! ).

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Ohhh... And the shift linkage issue, I later found out on my owe, was just from the poor stock motor mount and me making the engine try to jump out of the engine bay. The "snap connector" inside the car just came off the shifter. Its easily repaired by pulling the shifter bezel up and simply snapping it back on.

And don't kid yourself. This car is built to mod. As good as it is, its way better with a little aftermarket polish. For all the rave reviews it gets, those reviews are just scratching the surface.

OP
A
Thread Starter #12
Pull the trigger. I owed a 01' focus zx3 and after 4 years with it, i said "I'll never own another ford again". Then my ex-wife got a job at a ford dealer and cars suddenly became cheaper, lol. She had that rare 2-door 2010-2011 ish focus and it was AWESOME. We had a fusion sport ( fusion with the Taurus's bigger 3.5L instead of the 3.0L ranger motor ). Then a 2013 flex. All 3 were really nice vehicles with no issues.

When the focus ST came out, I drove it. I was impressed by everything but how crazy it was all over the place when pushed on the street. Besides that, the focus is prob the best stock fwd car I've ever driven ( and i had a 409whp 505tq srt4 ). I decided to wait and drive the fist because I'd heard it was going to lighter and the current fiesta was more fun to drive vs the current standard focus. So I waited. I drove the fist for 7 miles before I "broke" the shift linkage. The car was stuck in 4th gear. I limped it back to the dealership and after only 7 miles, i decided I had to have one. Drove 3-4 hours to another ford dealership to buy one with Recaros.

After a year of ownership, a trip the dragon, and really abusing the car on a regualr biases, I'm happy to tell anyone that this car completely wiped ford's slate clean for me after the 01' focus being the worst car I've ever owned period.

What ever happened at ford, right before Dodge/chevy took all the bail out money, it was a great change !! All car makers have set backs, but the 2009+ fords made a huge leap in everything ( in my book ).

Only issue I've seen so far is that with the focus and fiesta sT's, the techs at the dealership have no idea what so ever on what they are doing. If its not a V8 truck or mustang, they have little interest in learning how to work on it. Truth is, you roll the dice anywhere you go from best buy to buy a TV to the car wash to being pulled over by a cop. Sometimes, you get someone that is awesome at there job , and passionate about the job and the company. Other times, you can get a moron that hates the job, hates the company, and cares little about learning how to do new things. I see this daily in my field. Maybe ford dealers have an aging tech pool, as most "mechanic" type jobs are all suffering from. Too many computer programmers making $150k a year, and not enough guys that can swing a 10lbs sledge hammer with accuracy. What ever the case, chances are, your friends with turbo cars or internet forums while be a great source of finding an issue if one comes up, so we're glad your here.

Dealerships and car builders pretty much have that whole " pistons and camshafts thing" figured out. When it comes to direct injected fwd turbo cars? Not so much from what I've seen ( powerstroke techs of the world, help these babies out !!! ).
THIS was the kind of review I was looking for. Thank you!

I've sort lost faith with Fords...a buddy of mine, similar thing-128k and off to the junk yard and that's with doing regular maintenance.

The reviews on the car have been nothing short of amazing and for all intents and purposes, it seems, to have that European feel...AND with a lot of torque which the SVT focus never had. As far as modding...not sure I'll go through that route again. However, what mods are OK without voiding the warranty? Performance air filter, short shifter, flash...from Ford Racing (I'm sure a Fiesta ST) will be coming out. Reliability is key...for me anyways.

BTW...this line was awesome! "Too many computer programmers making $150k a year, and not enough guys that can swing a 10lbs sledge hammer with accuracy." Yeah...

Cheers!

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Well.... As far as my experience so far, anything not bought from ford racing will void your warranty. But i'm sure others have less modded cars with more success.

Your best route maybe to touch on the things that do not concern the engine at all... Lighter brakes. Lighter battery. Def lighter wheels/ tires.

A programmer ( cobb access port ) is prob the best money you'll spend on the car for over all improvement. Power increase is not huge, but drivability and tons of other things are greatly improved. Of course... No one is really sure if a dealer can/will dig deep enough into the ecu to find a tune or not. I get the feeling that if you don't have a rod hanging out of the block or a broken piston, they are not going to hassle you over a simple flash tune that was un-flashed before you brought it in.

Tons of people will argue the moss act and then having to prove your mod caused the failure ( like how did my intercooler and downpipe break my CV axle ? Lol ). But honestly, warranty is their game and its their rules unless your already a lawyer.

Ford is giving you/us a middle ground. They are offering a "ford racing reflash". Its $600. Prob not as good as cobb's ( but heck, it could be better. They are claiming 90ft lbs of torque gains on our fat-girl sister car the focus ).

Sorry to hear your svt was bad though. I'd heard mostly good things about them.

OP
A
Thread Starter #14
Well.... As far as my experience so far, anything not bought from ford racing will void your warranty. But i'm sure others have less modded cars with more success.

Your best route maybe to touch on the things that do not concern the engine at all... Lighter brakes. Lighter battery. Def lighter wheels/ tires.

A programmer ( cobb access port ) is prob the best money you'll spend on the car for over all improvement. Power increase is not huge, but drivability and tons of other things are greatly improved. Of course... No one is really sure if a dealer can/will dig deep enough into the ecu to find a tune or not. I get the feeling that if you don't have a rod hanging out of the block or a broken piston, they are not going to hassle you over a simple flash tune that was un-flashed before you brought it in.

Tons of people will argue the moss act and then having to prove your mod caused the failure ( like how did my intercooler and downpipe break my CV axle ? Lol ). But honestly, warranty is their game and its their rules unless your already a lawyer.

Ford is giving you/us a middle ground. They are offering a "ford racing reflash". Its $600. Prob not as good as cobb's ( but heck, it could be better. They are claiming 90ft lbs of torque gains on our fat-girl sister car the focus ).

Sorry to hear your svt was bad though. I'd heard mostly good things about them.
Thanks pal. Useful stuff!

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this? "Tons of people will argue the moss act and then having to prove your mod caused the failure"

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
There is a law that says if you modify a car, ( lets just say you install a catback exhaust ) the dealership must still honor the warranty, even if its been modded. The only way they can deny your warranty claim is if they can prove the modification you made, was the CAUSE of the original issue.

So say your car is over heating and they deny you warranty service on it because you have a catback exhaust. They SHOULD be required to prove the exhaust was the cause of the over heating, and... By law, they required to prove it. Here is where it gets ugly.... Ford can do anything they want. They are ford. You are just " some person ". If they deny it and refuse to fix it, what can you do ? Start a fist fight with them? No. Be mad at them ? So what ? The only thing the law says you can do, is sue them for not repairing the car, in which they would have to submit evidence proving your exhaust caused the over heating issue. The catch is. They are ford. YOU will have to employee a lawyer on your own dime ( at first at least ). That's many hundreds of dollars. Then, be sure they are not going to fix your car. You'll have to pay someone else to fix the car or rent a car in your own dime. After its all said and done, you could have $3,000 or more tired up in forcing ford to fix a $250 fan module. If you win your case, ford would pay all your cost back, but #1 that is risk, have you been in our legal system? Its all about money. Who has more money, you or ford ? #2 I don't have the time, energy, or money to spare to deal with all that. It would be easier in every way to just replace the fan module yourself and be done with it.

A lot of guys argue that Moss Morrison act, and they are correct. But its not free, its not quick, and its a risk. No thanks , I'll just fix it.

On the flipside. My friend got a check for $7500 from ford because after 2 years and countless times at the dealer, and countless rental cars, they simply could not get his DSG trans to work correctly ( extremely common ). Then they refused to give him a respectable trade-in value to get something else because they could not fix it. So he sued them. His cut was $7k, the lawyer prob got $5k. Then 2 months after getting the check; he let the bank repo the car, used the $7k to put down on a Focus ST before it hit his credit, lol. He loved his NA focus too. And he did buy a $31k focus sT, lol. So ford prob broke even.

Some dealerships maybe super happy and greatful to get warranty work to keep their tech's busy and employed. Other dealerships ( like jarrett ford in Plant City, Florida ), are not happy with just warranty pay. They want "customer pay". Its two different rates. If the warranty will pay the guy 1hr of labor to replace your fan module, and he gets $18 per hour under warranty pay, OR he gets 1 hour to replace the fan module with customer pay at $30 an hour, plus the dealership makes a nice fat chuck on the part, which option do you think he is more likely to take? Double pay and his company makes $250 in parts or $18 and ford takes a $250 warranty claim? He wins, the dealer wins, and the guy with an exhaust loses. Unless he wants to take the risk, time, energy to sue ford over a $250 repair.

Took me 45min to replace the axle in my car, and the part was $160. They denied my warranty because my charge cooler was bigger, and my exhaust got rid of heat faster. I think anyone would have a hard time coming up with REAL LEGAL PROOF that those two parts caused my axle joint to explode. But it was simpler, faster, and extremely less stressful to just bad mouth that dealer forever and to fix the part myself.

Companies spend millions and millions on marketing. Well... The $200 that dealer saved ford will never come close to the amount of bad I will tell every person I know about their service department. The tech that called it in, instead of just replacing the axle, prob spent more time on paper work, then went and did NOTHING for the rest of the day. Ford is by far not the worse though.... Buy a factory rally race car from Subaru, then try to figure out why they refuse to fix a stock one when it coughs up a stock driveline part do to "abuse". Its like selling apple seeds to a apple farm and saying, " don't plant these".

I'm just whining/rambling, now, sorry, l

OP
A
Thread Starter #17
I don't see this as whining...in fact, this also is the info I wanted. I don't disagree with the way you think. It's practical with the least about of B.S..

I live in a very affluent neighborhood...it used to be a surfing town...now it's 2 million dollars for sh*t box and all the entitlement accouterments. Similar mind set as to corporate america which is basically what is being discussed. A few years ago I was fresh off of concussion...still somewhat out to lunch. Christmas day...and it wasn't one of the good ones...I was washing my car outside. The neighbor is 20 feet away...I'm looking over to wish him a Merry Christmas...he never looks. He's get into his car and drives to the next house...maybe another 25 feet. Comes across neighbor...to the left of me to drop off a Christmas card. I thought I was on drugs. Now, it couldn't it have been easier to look over and say hi? No. Some people are just off...

Getting back to what you are saying about the dealerships in terms of the mod is "causing" the problem seems to be the thing in question. One thing that worked for me...and not all the time is to go up the chain of command. Some dealerships, have a customer relations dept...usually big dealerships in big cities. Another was finding the district manager...which takes some doing. The other... is something a buddy was fortunate to have...a suit at Ford in Detroit. He bought a rental car from Enterprise and the engine went on the fritz. Not really a surprise.
They gave him the whole she-bang and called his buddy. By next week...they were replacing the engine.

So, your thought process is valid, which is dictated by cost of the problem.

Thanks for writing this up...