Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MK7 ST crankshaft pulley alignment tool purpose

RasmusTJ

Hi guys!

I'm replacing the timing belt on my 1.6 Ecoboost and I'm wondering what the purpose of the pulley alignment tool is. I thought it was perhaps to relieve stress while tightening the crankshaft bolt, but the workshop manual says to remove it before tightening. Is it related to balancing? Does anybody know?

Attachments

Sekred

1000 Post Club
It times the pulley to the crankshaft because the pulley (harmonic balancer) is not keyed to the crankshaft. When you fit that tool you first remove the speed/timing sensor which sends a pulse to the ECU to tell it crankshaft position, TDC.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
ALSO, as instructed, remove the alignment tool before you tighten the pully.
If you do not you could possibly brake it off inside the engine.
It is made of aluminum and therefore you cannot fish it out with a magnet.

OP
R

RasmusTJ

Thread Starter #5
It times the pulley to the crankshaft because the pulley (harmonic balancer) is not keyed to the crankshaft. When you fit that tool you first remove the speed/timing sensor which sends a pulse to the ECU to tell it crankshaft position, TDC.
Oh, of course! The sensor reads off the pulley. Makes perfect sense. I am still surprised it doesn't need fixation during tightening but you learn every day. Thanks for the replies!

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Oh, of course! The sensor reads off the pulley. Makes perfect sense. I am still surprised it doesn't need fixation during tightening but you learn every day. Thanks for the replies!
Not a fan of the idea myself. As you mention it may move when tightening. I would suggest rechecking the timing again after torqueing the pulley to spec.

OP
R

RasmusTJ

Thread Starter #7
Not a fan of the idea myself. As you mention it may move when tightening. I would suggest rechecking the timing again after torqueing the pulley to spec.
Will do. I also plan on inserting the alignment tool again after tightening to check for movement.

OP
R

RasmusTJ

Thread Starter #8
Just a small update. We replaced the belt and pump this Saturday, and believe me, it took us the whole day! I kept the pulley alignment tool installed while tightening and nothing indicated that much force had been transfered to the tool as I could easily remove it afterwards.

Thanks again for the support :)

I have done every step you did and my timing is still not right. I believe it keeps jumping a tooth. Im getting code p0011 and p0016.

@Salty_FiST

Premium Account
Active Duty U.S. Air Force
I have done every step you did and my timing is still not right. I believe it keeps jumping a tooth. Im getting code p0011 and p0016.
When you pulled the pin out of the timing belt tensioner was the belt pre-laid out on the camshaft sprocket teeth with no slack between the sprockets?