Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mk8/St200 gearbox in standard fist?

Stkid93

Premium Account
Does anyone know if this would be possible? And has anyone ever tried it? I’m super curious to feel how much of a difference these changes would make to the car. The acceleration would be wild.

(I know there is a 4.3 final drive ratio upgrade for the standard fist, but apparently it takes a ton of work and costs a lot of money to have that done. So not that many people have had it done, and usually people do that with huge turbos to shorten the gears so they can rev faster and get into boost sooner. Not many with a stock or hybrid turbo bother doing such an expensive upgrade. And even if you had it done, the st200’s gears were also shortened by 15%)

the st200s were made in very low numbers, and weren’t sold in the us. But their final drive ratio is something like 4.1 and the gearing was shortened by 15%. Giving the st200 far better acceleration. Supposedly the st200 went from 30-60 in 5.2 seconds compared to 6.7 for the standard fist.

They also tested a standard fist with the mp215 package. Which essentially makes the power equal to the st200. So this way the only difference between the 2 is the final drive and gearing, and they could make the test equal power wise. And the st200 was still .5-.7 seconds faster from 30-60. That’s a big difference for such a short pull.

the mk8 gearing is similar when ford decided to Do a 1.5 3 cylinder they shortened the gearing to help the acceleration feel similar or better to the mk7. But no idea if the mk8 gearbox can fit in a mark 7.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Interesting thought to get a ST200 gear box but thing is you can buy a 4.3 ring and pinion from Whoosh for $700 if you are already opening up your gearbox to put in a diff it’s not that much more bench time to throw in that ring and pion. You would have to get a great deal shipped from the UK to make getting a ST200 box worthwhile.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Was it exclusively the M-Sport edition ST200s which also got the Quaife limited slip, or was that every ST200 over there?? [dunno]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Was it exclusively the M-Sport edition ST200s which also got the Quaife limited slip, or was that every ST200 over there?? [dunno]
I think that was a M-Sport edition exclusive far as I know British press made a big deal about the MK8 getting the Quaife option not ST200

Fusion Works

I have a 4.06 final in my car. While its better, its far from earth shattering. Any final drive swap will require a skilled trans builder. You will need to cut the third gear off to get the snap ring between 2nd and 3rd gear. A final drive swap is a bit more work than other normal transmissions.

BTW a 50 ton press will actually force splines in that snap ring, but I would suggest standing behind a plywood shield as its quite scary when it finally shears the snap ring. Ask me how I know.

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #6
@Fusion Works @Dpro @M-Sport fan

Thanks for replies guys. I think the biggest thing would be the 15% shorter gearing on top of the 4.3
Final drive. When you combine them, the difference becomes larger. The thing about the fist is the top speed is heavily power limited, not gear limited. With enough power these things can go 170-180 with the gearing it has. And that is completely pointless In my opinion. I would gladly take the trade off of a lower top speed for faster acceleration, going 175 in a fiesta is not something I ever plan to do anyways.

course with the shorter gearing and final drive then we need to look right back the tires, as this will make the car even more of a rolling burnout machine that it already is. If you have 300 torque on the stock trans, by the time it gets multiplied by the gearing it’s about 1500 ft lbs of torque at the tire in 3rd gear. Using the same 300 ft lbs with the st200/mk8 fiesta gearing, that number goes up to about 2000 torque at the tire after gearing multiplication. So a 25% increase in total torque output, putting an even bigger reliance on traction and tires.

Granted the top speed is largely do the extremely long 6th gear. Gears 1-5 are geared more aggressively Hence when we need to shift to 3rd to hit 60 and 5th in the quarter mile. 6th being an extreme highway gas sipper gear. Even cruising at 80 in 6th the rpm’s are still very low.

The lsd comes as an option For the mk8 but I don’t believe the st200 has one even as an option. I could be wrong.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Ah I can go 60 mph in Second all it takes is HP and TQ of a hybrid or larger Turbo . The money you spend buying a 4.3 ring and pinion and putting it in your trans when your clutch is fine and you do not need to do it will easily be the same amount or possibly more than a turbo upgrade unless you are willing to do all the work yourself. Which I don’t you know how to tear apart a trans and put it back together nor have the space to remove and replace that setup. Shop,cost to R and R a trans and install a diff is roughly around $1500 on average some people find a deal for 800. You have to do more work than just putting in a diff though when you change ring and pinion in our cars.
Mention that work and or clutch and price will most likely be at least $1500 plus the cosf of the ring and pinion . You can get a S280 Turbo full setup for that price or les for a hybrid and pay for a tune
for them. Have lots more power and fun. Do not think about a ring and pinion upgrade until you A: need a clutch and B : are sticking in a limited Slip. Stock gearing is not bad these are not drag racers ( ya I know certain people do it) they are handling cars.