Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Motoiq Fiesta ST Race Car Build

Chuckable

Motoiq.com has a series on the Fiesta ST, and now the story has been updated to reflect that the car owner is turning it into a race car. The series is quite interesting, and the newest installment is on removing weight from the car, and adding a roll cage. I've posted one or two of their links before. Had the chance to talk to SPD Motorsports last week, and they seem very easygoing and willing to talk.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...-Jump-to-a-Race-Car-with-SPD-Motorsports.aspx

PS: I'm not associated in any way with Motoiq.com, but the site is worth a read.

OP
C

Chuckable

Thread Starter #4
Yes, and I posted about it but didn't appear there was much interest in it. I've emailed the manufacturer, but no response from them yet.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Great cage work:)

I love seeing a FiST dedicated track car build!

It does take a bunch of time do to build a cage right and they are, having had cages built and DIY I know what it takes, lots of time and attention to detail.

---------------

20 hours for sound deadening and seam sealer removal is not bad at all!

30 lbs per door removed is huge:)

That cage will weigh much less than 120lbs I am sure unless using .120 DOM but even then should not be that heavy as the car should be under 2500 lbs so 1.75" .090 DOM would save a bunch of weight and much easier to work with.

---------------

One comment though about MIG welding as it might not of come across the way it was intended so this is to make sure fully understood. Most cages are done with MIG and NASCAR specifically requires MIG in many areas and only allows TIG in some. MIG is perfectly fine for all cage work and nearly all if not all sanctioning bodies will pass a well MIG welded cage.

-------------

Great build, great shop building it, just wanted to clear up a few things or bring up some to consider:)

Rick

I am really enjoying this series!

One thing I would like to see are the stock parts that are being removed, once they are outside of the vehicle. Reading about the fuel tank swap made me want to see the stock one, and how it looks outside of the vehicle. It's plastic? Are most vehicle fuel tanks plastic?

Can't wait for more.

PhoenixM3

Motoiq.com has a series on the Fiesta ST, and now the story has been updated to reflect that the car owner is turning it into a race car. The series is quite interesting, and the newest installment is on removing weight from the car, and adding a roll cage. I've posted one or two of their links before. Had the chance to talk to SPD Motorsports last week, and they seem very easygoing and willing to talk.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...-Jump-to-a-Race-Car-with-SPD-Motorsports.aspx

PS: I'm not associated in any way with Motoiq.com, but the site is worth a read.
Beautiful! I'm interested in weight reduction and a stock appearance. It is nice to see that my estimate for sound dampening material was the same as what this article states. When I have the car, I'll devote some time to detail what is involved in the sound dampening material.

I feel like 1.75" is a bit overkill in a small car like this. I know it.090 wall but I would think 1.5" would be more than enough if the triangulation is correct. I dont know how the rules are are so that could totally blow that thought out of the water lol

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
NOTE!!!!! IF you have a cage built ensure the builder is actually competent and well regarded with current builds known to pass inspection. I hired a "race shop" to build a cage I had to cut out, they lied to me and they paid me back and more. Then I hired a cage only shop but the guy did not tell me he was in the middle of a nasty divorce, I had to go work all night on the car to help finish it to make it to an event and later found some incomplete welds. After that I bought my own equipment and my DIY first cage passed with flying colors;)

-----------------

The weight of the car determines what tubing diameter/wall thickness can be used. NASA, SCCA, etc, pretty much have the same requirements but make sure to check before building it!

From the 2015.3 NASA rules, I would check to ensure still up to date.

1501 -2500lbs
1.500? x 0.095?
Seamless Alloy (4130), Seamless mild steel (CDS Mechanical) or DOM
1.500? x 0.120? ERW
(No issuance of log books for cars with
ERW
cages
)
Note
-
Specifications listed
only
for
reference for inspection of grandfathered vehicles.
-
3000 lbs
1.500? x 0.120?
1.750? x 0.095?
1.750? x 0.120? ERW
(No issuance of log books for cars with
ERW
cages)
Note
-
Specifications listed
only
for
reference for inspection of grandfathered vehicle

I knew it goes off the weight of the vehicle as it's the same in the offroad world just bigger tubing since everything weighs a lot more. I cant expect that car to weigh more than 2500lbs though.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
It will easily weight under 2500, my car is around 2675 with full interior minus back seat, AC, sunroof, nav, oil cooler, bigger radiator, added oil and water weight...

My last cage was from 1.75x.095 though the car was going to be around 2300lbs and a track monster with very wide tires, 600+ HP, huge downforce, capable of very high speeds, and I had all the tubing on hand so wanted to use it.

The main hoop, A pillars, all required bars were that size but the rest of the cage which was very intense was scaled to the size needed to save weight.