Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune says their Sport springs are Linear

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i just got off the phone with Mountune (California office) and they confirmed for me that their Mountune Sport Springs are Linear. At first the sales rep told me he wasn't sure if they can share that info, after putting me on hold for a few minutes he came back and confirmed that they are in fact linear.

I wanted to post about this because I know there's a lot of conflicting reports about how similar the Mountune Sport springs are to Eibach Pro Kit springs.

Some people on the forums say that the Mountune springs are merely re-branded Eibachs, others say that they're progressive like the Eibach Pro Kit's but with Mountune specs. Others also point out that the only linear aftermarket springs for our cars is the Swift springs. I haven't been able to find any definite answer, spending a few hours browsing the net and this forum.

Just based on the info available on the Mountune website and Eibach websites, I think it's pretty clear that the Mountune springs are at very least not the same specs as Eibach springs. So that leaves the question of whether the Mountune springs are progressive like the Eibach Pro Kit or linear, more like the Swift springs. Based on the marketing info, Mountune gives one specific spring rate for front and rear, whereas Eibach gives a range, this further seems to indicate that the Mountunes are linear as opposed to the Eibach's progressive rate.

Wanted to post this and see what you guys thought.

If the spring is symmetrical and the distance between the compression coils is constant the spring is linear.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
From the looks of them, one pair is linear and the other is progressive.

OP
SirThomas88
Thread Starter #6
Would you mind explaining your conclusion?
In the photograph of the springs, the front coil distances appear to be consistent throughout, thus it appears that the fronts are linear, whereas the rear coils clearly appear to vary greatly in distance, thus it appears that the rears are progressive.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
/thread

I have them, 100% better ride than stock springs. Stock springs are stiff little bitches that make the ride terrible.
I wouldn't mind a slightly better ride, but I'm not about to lower the ride height.

I'd be scratching plastic in no time around here.

The MountuneUSA springs ARE linear. When installed, the short coils are fully compressed so they are “dead”. I’ve run them for years on my old 2014. I made me some spacers to insert into the dead coils to adjust ride height. Facts.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The MountuneUSA springs ARE linear. When installed, the short coils are fully compressed so they are “dead”. I’ve run them for years on my old 2014. I made me some spacers to insert into the dead coils to adjust ride height. Facts.
Well technically we are both right. As since uncompressed how they are wound is whats known in the spring world as a progressive wind.
Now because they compress and go dead then they may act linear.

Fact is its a poor design spring wise because of that in my opinion as the dead coils just turn into excess weight. Swift actually points these kind of poor spring designs out on their page. Less excess winds equals lighter weight and better utilization in my opinion.

This guy knows and I explained above what linear springs are.

felopr

The same drop as Swift basically
Swift springs have 25% more spring rate in the front and the rear is 47.5% more compared to Mountune
If you just want a drop and have the same handling characteristics as stock pick Mountune.
If you want to autocross, have less body roll or want the car to step more in the back, pick the Swifts

The same drop as Swift basically
Swift springs have 25% more spring rate in the front and the rear is 47.5% more compared to Mountune
If you just want a drop and have the same handling characteristics as stock pick Mountune.
If you want to autocross, have less body roll or want the car to step more in the back, pick the Swifts
We’re drilling down on the exact nature of Mountune springs. Fordza is spot on imo. Dpro is saying something else. A cursory search explaining the difference between linear and progressive springs clear things up pretty quick. We now await a response from Dpro

felopr

We’re drilling down on the exact nature of Mountune springs. Fordza is spot on imo. Dpro is saying something else. A cursory search explaining the difference between linear and progressive springs clear things up pretty quick. We now await a response from Dpro
Fronts are linear and rears are progressive as per photos on the website. We will only know for sure when someone posts a photo of them

You can see both springs have a constant distance between the compression springs. This means they are linear

Status
Not open for further replies.