Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune XCLUTCH for FiST

OP
MRX430
Thread Starter #23
  • KFD24439-1A​
  • Xtreme Clutch Kit Inc Concentric Slave Cylinder-Sprung Organic
  • Specifications​
  • Flywheel Step (mm)
    -9.53mm​
  • Clutch Disc Diameter (mm)
    230mm​
  • Clutch Disc Spline Count
    20​
  • Clutch Disc Spline Diamteter (mm)
    22.6mm​
  • Disc Type
    Sprung​
  • Friction Material
    Organic​
  • Stage
    1​
  • Recommended Use
    Street​
  • Clamping Force % Increase
    35%​
  • Torque (Nm/ftlbs) INC FOS
    600 / 440​
  • Aligning Tool Included
    Yes​
  • Concentric Slave Cylinder Included
    Yes​
  • Spline Grease Included
    Yes​
  • Weight
    7.4kg​
  • Technical Notes​

Could anyone who installed 1A kit share their driving experience with it vs stock clutch & flywheel? I'm mostly looking to get rid of DMF rather than gain any sort of extra clamping performance.

OP
MRX430
Thread Starter #25
KFD24639-1a is the US part # for us. KFD24439-1a is the part # from XClutchau.com website. I believe they are the same product.

OP
MRX430
Thread Starter #26
Could anyone who installed 1A kit share their driving experience with it vs stock clutch & flywheel? I'm mostly looking to get rid of DMF rather than gain any sort of extra clamping performance.
Looking for some free power with the lighter flywheel and get rid of rev hang?

Looking for some free power with the lighter flywheel and get rid of rev hang?
I'm okay with stock power, tbh. From what I gather, rev hang is mostly affected by ECU. For instance, if I turn climate control on, rev hang gets significantly longer / less predictable... It's a bit cargo cult, but I would like to have a flywheel that is not in danger of breaking and maybe change how the clutch feels a bit. I can feel DMF bouncing around if I let go of the clutch in a particular way, it's not a great experience.

I'm okay with stock power, tbh. From what I gather, rev hang is mostly affected by ECU. For instance, if I turn climate control on, rev hang gets significantly longer / less predictable... It's a bit cargo cult, but I would like to have a flywheel that is not in danger of breaking and maybe change how the clutch feels a bit. I can feel DMF bouncing around if I let go of the clutch in a particular way, it's not a great experience.
I’m getting my X-Clutch 1a clutch installed next week, will let you know how it compares to stock clutch.

I’m getting my X-Clutch 1a clutch installed next week, will let you know how it compares to stock clutch.
Well the X-Clutch stage 1 clutch is installed, pedal feel is improved slightly a bit softer to push in compared to stock. It has very good clamping force, rated at 450ft-lbs. The overall weight of clutch/flywheel is very close to OEM setup I see no difference in spin up through RPM range, though haven’t really pushed too hard as X-Clutch recommends 1000km of “gentle” driving to properly bed in clutch before putting the hammer down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update! Some folks report chatter with single mass flywheels, do you experience any of that so far?

Thanks for the update! Some folks report chatter with single mass flywheels, do you experience any of that so far?
I might be hearing some chatter, when turning at slow speeds, but this could be the Quaife LSD I had installed. I've heard this is a side effect of a helical gear LSD.

From X-Clutch Website:
"Driveability & Benefits: What are the side effects of a performance clutch?
Like with most performance modifications, performance clutch kits come with a compromise. Each clutch is different depending on the level of performance. Some can have slightly increased operating effort and levels of shudder depending on the diaphragm and friction material.
A performance clutch can also cause increased noise in the driveline and twin plate kits can “rattle” when the clutch pedal is depressed due to the floating intermediate plate.
These side effects are generally very minor and are often overlooked due to the benefits of a performance clutch upgrade."

As for the chatter think this would only be applicable to twin plate kits and this kit for the FiST is single plate clutch.

As for the chatter think this would only be applicable to twin plate kits and this kit for the FiST is single plate clutch.
Ok, I see. The stock one rattles pretty heavily for me now. My dealership brushed me off a few days ago. Going to try a few more to get it warrantied; if I get same reaction, then will probably just go for the same kit as you with an independent shop. Would've installed Quaife, but hesitated and missed out on their holiday deal :cry:

Ok, I see. The stock one rattles pretty heavily for me now. My dealership brushed me off a few days ago. Going to try a few more to get it warrantied; if I get same reaction, then will probably just go for the same kit as you with an independent shop. Would've installed Quaife, but hesitated and missed out on their holiday deal :cry:
Yes I bought my Quaife LSD in January when it still was $200 off then I used a 10% off coupon code, however think they made up for it in shipping as they charged me $240usd to ship to Canada. Gets stupid expensive to do the LSD, as you need a lot more than the LSD to do the project properly

This is from Steve from X-Clutch regarding the weight of their kit vs OEM.

"As for the weight the OEM and our kit are similar in weight. However our kit has better inertia due to were the weight is positioned on the clutch assembly. The mass of our clutch assembly moves the weight more towards the centerline of the crankshaft. This provides a more responsive engine in terms of how it revs while still providing excellent drivability and function."

Great, thanks for the info. I guess the only other thing that's unclear to me is why I only see complete clutch kits with flywheel included on Xclutch website... What happens when/if the clutch eventually wears out? Presumably the flywheel should still be good... Do you know if they want people to just buy entire kit again?

Great, thanks for the info. I guess the only other thing that's unclear to me is why I only see complete clutch kits with flywheel included on Xclutch website... What happens when/if the clutch eventually wears out? Presumably the flywheel should still be good... Do you know if they want people to just buy entire kit again?
Very good question, I believe they say on their website the following:
"Installation: Are spare parts available for XClutch products?
In most cases it is possible to purchase individual components from XClutch. In multi plate applications, XClutch offers a range of discs and intermediate plates as individual components and it is also possible in some applications to upgrade your clutch to a higher specification."

So I believe you could just buy another X-Clutch clutch only and re-use the X-Clutch flywheel. If you email them they are pretty responsive to emails.

ronmcdon

update on this, if you do get the clutch would recommend caution on using the supplied throw out bearing.

most people probably dont do this, but was running 2 hpde sessions back to back and lost the clutch during one of the run groups. clutch pedal just went all the way down and couldn't get into gear again. found out from mechanic today there was likely a slave cylinder seal failure and mechanic recommends going with oem throw out bearing. Otherwise clutch work well.