Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My official RaceChip thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Look we are trying to help him,. He went far beyond asking for suggestions. Yes he asked for them but then when given sound advice proceed to disagree which is his right but instead of accepting that he kept on posting about doing it. If he had posted about it got the response and let it lie I do not think there would have been that strong of reaction from people.
Its his insistence of not only telling us we don’t know but persistantly reposting. Look he started another thread here.
I am not being a dick I am giving him logical advice towards making a wise decision.
You will note I did say do what you want in my last post. If I was being a dick I would not have said that.
Truth is some of us are older may have made mistakes like this ourselves and hate to see other forum members make those mistakes.
If we did not care we would not post at all.
I am done with this I do a lot of helping here and do not need to be told I am being a dick when I am not.
Listen, maybe calling you a dick was wrong, but if you think he's just looking for attention, then just don't respond to it then. I agree that an AP is the better call, but it's his life so we can just watch him to with it what he wants to. Think of it as a learning experience, but without the consequences for ourselves. He's heard your opinions many times already. Just let him post his results in this thread and see what happens.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Listen, maybe calling you a dick was wrong, but if you think he's just looking for attention, then just don't respond to it then. I agree that an AP is the better call, but it's his life so we can just watch him to with it what he wants to. Think of it as a learning experience, but without the consequences for ourselves. He's heard your opinions many times already. Just let him post his results in this thread and see what happens.
Its not him looking for attention. Its him saying he is right his way or the highway when he already put out info that pretty much told everyone he did not know what he was talking about or understand things. So we all told him facts not opinion. We all tried to help him buy educating him.
Instead of accepting he just insisted on saying he believed what he originally purported would work.

I personally do not post technical information as opinion I post as fact. If it was an opinion I would say in my opinion there is a difference you know.
Technically spending $350 on AP is a wise decision. Technically spending $250 on chip that cannot be modified for $100 less is an unwise decision.
Its fine if he wants to be hard headed I get that. Some have to learn the hard way but when he keeps on posting about it, well of course we are going to respond.

If one does not want a response they do not post. Anyone who posts is fishing for a response he is fishing for responses and you are getting worked up over the fact that we are giving them. Forest for the trees here man.

Spork1569

Look we are trying to help him,. He went far beyond asking for suggestions. Yes he asked for them but then when given sound advice proceed to disagree which is his right but instead of accepting that he kept on posting about doing it. If he had posted about it got the response and let it lie I do not think there would have been that strong of reaction from people.
Its his insistence of not only telling us we don’t know but persistantly reposting. Look he started another thread here.
I am not being a dick I am giving him logical advice towards making a wise decision.
You will note I did say do what you want in my last post. If I was being a dick I would not have said that.
Truth is some of us are older may have made mistakes like this ourselves and hate to see other forum members make those mistakes.
I am done with this I do a lot of helping here and do not need to be told I am being a dick when I am not.
I feel where you're coming from Dpro, a lot of folks gave him the same advice to stray from the chip and go the tried and true path of a used AP. OP seems committed to try this way and like Hypergram said it is ultimately his money to do with as he pleases.

He also seems new to modding and car culture based on previous posts, so I don't blame him for wanting to experiment and feel somewhat bumrushed with all the echoes of the same information regarding tuning. Who didn't make a questionable decesion or mod when first starting out?

I too advised towards the AP and away from the chip, as did many others, but if OP really wants to give it a shot, may as well sit and see what the results yield.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Its not him looking for attention. Its him saying he is right his way or the highway when he already put out info that pretty much told everyone he did not know what he was talking about or understand things. So we all told him facts not opinion. We all tried to help him buy educating him.
Instead of accepting he just insisted on saying he believed what he originally purported would work.

I personally do not post technical information as opinion I post as fact. If it was an opinion I would say in my opinion there is a difference you know.
Technically spending $350 on AP is a wise decision. Technically spending $250 on chip that cannot be modified for $100 less is an unwise decision.
Its fine if he wants to be hard headed I get that. Some have to learn the hard way but when he keeps on posting about it, well of course we are going to respond.

If one does not want a response they do not post. Anyone who posts is fishing for a response he is fishing for responses and you are getting worked up over the fact that we are giving them. Forest for the trees here man.
If that was the case I would completely agree. But you fail to mention that he can return it. So that $250 really is only $10 (unless he decides to keep it that is,in which case it would be a waste to have both [unless he plans on selling the chip]) I think he opened this thread just to document his findings when they occur. He's already heard what everyone thinks so I doubt he wants to hear it again. Just my opinion tho.

HBEcoBeaST

To the OP, go for it. It's your money, your car, your life. Just please share. Without a Dyno or gauges(AP has both) all results will be subjective, but at least we will read about your experience.

All I disagree with is your power and safety claims. No 'chip' or bypass sensor can do what the AP does. It's physically impossible to get 'more gains' than an AP and tune even without a fmic. It's about what's physically possible with what the chip does vs the AP. Claiming that it's safer is also not necessarily true since a tune and AP has built in safety parameters based on real time measurements while the 'chip' relies on fooling your stock sensors so your motor's ECU is actually adjusting for conditions that don't actually exist. That fact alone is the reason no piggyback unit will have the same power output, flexibility or safety that a complete re flash will have.

I'm sure you'll get an improvement and it will make you enjoy the car more. but since peak power numbers don't seem to be your goal and you aren't going to Dyno the vehicle, claiming you will make more power with the RaceChip vs an AP is a little hollow and is really my only 'trigger point' in your claims.

You asked for advice in other posts, you got it and are choosing your own path. Power to you. Happy modding.

jeff

2000 Post Club
When I was a kid I was obsessed with Star Wars...I remember seeing Empire in the theater when I was 8...something magical happened to me. I asked my dad for the Darth Vader toy, and being the frugal dollar tree shopping penny pincher that he was, much to my dismay, I got something like this:

All my hopes and dreams were fulfilled, but not really. It was strange...Vader seemed to have picked up a motorcycle along the way, but where was his lightsaber? Something was off, and I knew it.

It's your money and your car, so make your choices. That said, I'm struggling to understand how you are going directly against the good counsel that we've been giving you for weeks. It makes people like me (who spend decent chunks of time typing out sincere replies to your questions) wonder if I am wasting my time. We are trying to help you, but you have decided to purchase a product that could hardly be called specific to our cars...it achieves gains by taking the quickest and much-less-safe methods...it will not provide optimal performance for your car...the R&D put into this thing you bought is likely 1% of that put into the Cobb and the Cobb OTS tunes that you would get for a mere $50 more.

For $50 more you get the real thing with real-time monitoring and endless opportunity to further improve your car in the future. I don't understand.

You've showed up to a Star Wars convention where sincere passionate people have spent years studying and collecting the real thing, and you're telling us about your STAR KNIGHT SPACE POWER WARRIOR.

I was only eight, but I knew something wasn't right.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
When I was a kid I was obsessed with Star Wars...I remember seeing Empire in the theater when I was 8...something magical happened to me. I asked my dad for the Darth Vader toy, and being the frugal dollar tree shopping penny pincher that he was, much to my dismay, I got something like this:

All my hopes and dreams were fulfilled, but not really. It was strange...Vader seemed to have picked up a motorcycle along the way, but where was his lightsaber? Something was off, and I knew it.

It's your money and your car, so make your choices. That said, I'm struggling to understand how you are going directly against the good counsel that we've been giving you for weeks. It makes people like me (who spend decent chunks of time typing out sincere replies to your questions) wonder if I am wasting my time. We are trying to help you, but you have decided to purchase a product that could hardly be called specific to our cars...it achieves gains by taking the quickest and much-less-safe methods...it will not provide optimal performance for your car...the R&D put into this thing you bought is likely 1% of that put into the Cobb and the Cobb OTS tunes that you would get for a mere $50 more.

For $50 more you get the real thing with real-time monitoring and endless opportunity to further improve your car in the future. I don't understand.

You've showed up to a Star Wars convention where sincere passionate people have spent years studying and collecting the real thing, and you're telling us about your STAR KNIGHT SPACE POWER WARRIOR.

Yep I agree.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

People need to toughen up. If you come on a knowledgeable forum and ask "is this a good idea?" and the answer is a unanimous "no" then proceed to do it anyway you should expect to be ripped. If I am doing stupid shit I expect the people with knowledge and experience to tell me I am stupid. Some people need to be saved from themselves, myself included sometimes.

This is hilarious and spot on.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It really seems that OP was too impatient to wait for a used AP to come up for sale, pulled the trigger on a far less useful option against our collective advice, and is now defending that choice to save face.

I hope that he decides to take advantage of the RaceChip return policy rather than being fooled by his butt dyno, placebo, and ego into doubling down. A $250 hack is, objectively, not the right decision over a $350 used AP.

HBEcoBeaST

It really seems that OP was too impatient to wait for a used AP to come up for sale, pulled the trigger on a far less useful option against our collective advice, and is now defending that choice to save face.

I hope that he decides to take advantage of the RaceChip return policy rather than being fooled by his butt dyno, placebo, and ego into doubling down. A $250 hack is, objectively, not the right decision over a $350 used AP.
I don't have issues with the OP doing as they wish, I was just getting a little bothered by the power and reliability claims over an AP. So much marketing BS out there I understand how you can get caught up in the hype.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
On a car that requires accurate sensor inputs to work properly and safely, it seems pretty risky to run a piggyback that modifies said sensor inputs.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #40
Im not really disagreeing with anything other than the predictions of the chip itself. If i am please show me and i will correct it. I fully agree with you guys, the AP will get me further overall, it has other things like throttle mods ect. It's mandatory for the real leaps forward like bigger/better turbos.

The RaceChip is just a quick shortcut to some real power gains without any long term cost other than $250. I would spend a lot more than that and it would take much longer the other route. There's no guarantee when i'll find an AP and there's no local shops that will install a FMIC. I just wanted something fun up front while im getting the other mods done over time. Again the only thing i disagree on are the skeptics when they say the chip won't work, mind you without any personal experience with it.

It would be different if several people here actually used one on their FIST and could give first hand accounts. But that's not the case, it's just speculation based on nothing. Everything else nearly everybody here has advised, i will do as my next 2 or 3 steps. So no big deal, think of it as me doing exactly as everybody else is except im trying one little experiment most others don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.