Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need input on recent Molten Orange rear end collision repair (Also interior hatch pic request!!!!)

CSM

1000 Post Club
Hi folks,

Not sure where to post this, but I'll try in this forum first.

My 2014 Molten orange was involved in a rear end hit and run last Monday 4/10. An older 1990s GMC truck smacked me pretty hard in the rear and damaged the rear bumper and rear hatch.

I'm fine, but the car sustained over $3,000 in damages. I've got some leads on the culprit, so I had insurance go ahead and take care of the repairs, which I was to pick up today but refused (see below)

Question 1 (Photo request) - Can anyone get photos of 1) the panel gap between the hatch and rear bumper/quarter panel? and 2) the inside of the rear hatch near the edges? Upon inspection today, I refused the car because the panel gaps were VERY noticeable and uneven between left and right side. Also, on the interior of the hatch, it looks like there are creases in the hatch, and I'm confused if this is intentional or maybe this is a crumple zone from the collision. So I'm looking to see if the shop should have replaced the entire hatch. Can anyone get photos to confirm if the factory hatch has "creases" near the interior lip on both sides??

Question 2 How bad does this paint match look? I know Molten Orange is a hard color to deal with, but I feel that the new bumper just doesn't have the "pop" as the rest of the car. Would like more opinions on this matter. I didn't call out the paint while inspecting the car (I called them out on the panel gap), but will probably call to address the paint issue as well.

For what it's worth, the insurer (progressive), has been quite easygoing in the entire process. I wonder if they just picked a bad body shop for the repairs.

Thanks in advance.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So....i too have also dealt with a shit job that progressive had a shop do on one of my prized vehicles....used literally mechanics wire to fix the headlight and let some hunyuck fu#king kid work on my vehicle. The repair shop was what I thought a part of a national chain but i found out it wasn't even though they had the name. It's been 3 years and I'm still finding shit wrong ....hidden behind the sheet metal. I'd bring my vehicle back and say....paint needs to match not sordove match. ......fix it right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

AzNightmare

If damage is covered by insurance, helps to go to the best shop you can find since it's not out of your pocket. And they'll fix it right without taking short cuts.

Paint looks like a totally different shade in the first pic.
Do you have an invoice of all the work done on the car?

Did they paint the adjacent panels to blend?

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
If damage is covered by insurance, helps to go to the best shop you can find since it's not out of your pocket. And they'll fix it right without taking short cuts.

Yes I have the invoices. I will review it when I get home and see exactly what they did and see if blending is added as a line item.

Do factory bumpers come pre-painted?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yes I have the invoices. I will review it when I get home and see exactly what they did and see if blending is added as a line item.

Do factory bumpers come pre-painted?
Sometimes....they offer them until they run out...then it goes to normal bumpers that need to be primed and painted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

AzNightmare

Due to UV exposure on the rest of your car panels, the paint could have slightly changed shade over time, so it's technically better to have an unpainted bumper so the shop can properly paint match. But regardless, it's really up to the shops' painting ability to have a good outcome.

A good shop will make sure the colours look right and seamless across the car, not just look at a code and paint it to that without any regards. If they're going to put on a factory painted bumper, they should still take the time to blend it if the fresh paint doesn't match the rest of your car.

Its always hard to see the paint match from pics due to angles, lighting, etc. I'd point that even the factory paint has a slight shade change due to the metal vs plastic. I'd recommend looking at the bumper cover against the lower bumper sections as that's where I saw the biggest difference in mine when it was replaced. It's your car, have them fix it to your satisfaction. That's why we pay out the butt on insurance each month. Good luck!

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
Update: I called my insurance company and let them know about the mismatch. Their response was basically "we don't usually have our shop blend bumpers into body panels when they are made of different materials (plastic vs. metal)". I reiterated that the photos show a clear difference in color, which is not pre-accident condition, and they said they are going to work with the shop to see if there is anything that can be done. I'm a bit frustrated to say the least, but they claim to stand by their repairs with a 100% guarantee and I sure as hell am going to test that.

How I picked up the car:

How the car was pre-accident:

AzNightmare

Update: I called my insurance company and let them know about the mismatch. Their response was basically "we don't usually have our shop blend bumpers into body panels when they are made of different materials (plastic vs. metal)". I reiterated that the photos show a clear difference in color, which is not pre-accident condition, and they said they are going to work with the shop to see if there is anything that can be done. I'm a bit frustrated to say the least, but they claim to stand by their repairs with a 100% guarantee and I sure as hell am going to test that.
Absolutely. Don't let them cheap out on you.
Plastic and Metal will only have very slight variance. Hard to tell unless closely examined.
It shouldn't be so blatantly obvious to spot. Metallic colours are harder to match, but that's no excuse from a pro shop.
A blend is always required unless the body panels bend sharply (not relevant in this case).

Some guy hit my front fender and I had a new OEM fender swapped in and painted, and door, hood, and front bumper (which is plastic of course) all blended. I was curious so I asked them a bit of the process. Plus my invoice shows all this. This is Oxford white too. If anything, metallic paint definitely needs to be blended.

It was awesome, because all my tiny rock chips on my hood and front bumper were gone afterward. lol. The blending took care of all that.

zanethan

THIS! it's too late for you now but for future reference always put in the research to find the best shop in your area and take it there. I've been in 3 accidents as of late (none were my fault) and always took it to the best shop. Repairs were top notch, no corners were cut, and it looked better than new when done.

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
Update: Insurance company is taking care of me and is going to rework the car. The manager I spoke with in person recently about the issue was very insistent that they will make it right and was very understanding. Overall I think this experience will have me stay with Progressive.

FWIW: The shop they partner with is already one of the top rated shops in the area, so even if I insisted to take the car to a shop of my choice, I probably would have gone here anyways.

Anyways, its getting taken care of!

Oh man, that sucks. I loved that color and that was one of the main reasons I didn't get it.

I'm not trying to be a dick it's just that I had a Focus that was rear-ended 3 times
all while waiting for red lights, so I fully know your pain.

When I saw that color I thought: "It will never get matched if there is an accident."

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
Oh man, that sucks. I loved that color and that was one of the main reasons I didn't get it.

I'm not trying to be a dick it's just that I had a Focus that was rear-ended 3 times
all while waiting for red lights, so I fully know your pain.

When I saw that color I thought: "It will never get matched if there is an accident."
Yeah I hear you there. I should have gone with Magnetic!! But this was a CPO car that they were selling for a steal. Honestly i wasn't the biggest fan of the MO at first, but the color grew on me.

Hopefully the shop can correct the issue. I am taking it in later this month, as I haven't had much time lately due to heavy work travel

jayrod1980

Yeah, I agree, no excuse. My wife got rear ended in our Platinum white Flex Ecoboost last year (same color as my Fiesta) and I was really wary about the color matching, as I've had some bad jobs in the past and this is the THIRD time she's been hit in that car. I have to say that the body shop did an amazing job and when it came back it looked better than new. The entire car was worked over and you can't even tell between the metal and the plastic. It's a three stage paint like the molten orange on the Fiesta as well. I'd say there's no excuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zanethan

MO is a hard color to match but any competent body shop should be able to do it without an issue.

I know you said that this shop is one of the best, but being one of the best body shops and an approved insurance shop are two mutually exclusive things IMHO.