Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need Some Tuning Advice/Direction

OP
eleven
Thread Starter #21
I never said I currently run 87-only nor did I ever say I planned on running 87 forever. I simply asked if one could have multiple tunes for multiple octanes for different goals for different times. Not sure where everyone thought they knew the whole picture or why there is a point to judging what I've done so far but yes, to each their own.

me32

1000 Post Club
I never said I currently run 87-only nor did I ever say I planned on running 87 forever. I simply asked if one could have multiple tunes for multiple octanes for different goals for different times. Not sure where everyone thought they knew the whole picture or why there is a point to judging what I've done so far but yes, to each their own.
The answer is yes you can have multiple tunes for different octane. Also you were the one that said you were running 87.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Here's the thing with tuning for 87-you're not going to have much power and you're going to get more knock. Yes, Ford incorporated it into their tune because Americans don't want to buy economy cars that require premium. Realistically though, very few pro-tuners are going to build you a map that utilizes the OAR system in the same manner.

I understand the thought-process of running 87 because you aren't at WOT everywhere you go, but using a higher octane is more about protecting your engine the few times you do. Timing is going to be the same in low-load situations where you're on the MBT timing tables; premium shines when you're under high-load on the borderline tables. And don't forget the fact that running the better fuel is most likely going to increase your fuel mileage with a proper tune with all things being equal.

Either way, tuning for 87 is possible. Not preferable, but possible. Research the tuners you're interested in and interview them accordingly to see if what you're wanting is something they're willing to do. Realistically-speaking you're probably looking at just having multiple maps and switching accordingly.

OP
eleven
Thread Starter #24
I said I "typically" run 87...not "exclusively"...anyways, thanks for the info

OP
eleven
Thread Starter #25
Here's the thing with tuning for 87-you're not going to have much power and you're going to get more knock. Yes, Ford incorporated it into their tune because Americans don't want to buy economy cars that require premium. Realistically though, very few pro-tuners are going to build you a map that utilizes the OAR system in the same manner.

I understand the thought-process of running 87 because you aren't at WOT everywhere you go, but using a higher octane is more about protecting your engine the few times you do. Timing is going to be the same in low-load situations where you're on the MBT timing tables; premium shines when you're under high-load on the borderline tables. And don't forget the fact that running the better fuel is most likely going to increase your fuel mileage with a proper tune with all things being equal.

Either way, tuning for 87 is possible. Not preferable, but possible. Research the tuners you're interested in and interview them accordingly to see if what you're wanting is something they're willing to do. Realistically-speaking you're probably looking at just having multiple maps and switching accordingly.
An adult! Lol. But seriously, thank you

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Don't get me wrong though, I definitely agree with what the others are trying to tell you. Fuel is one of the cheapest (discussing pump fuels) upgrades that you can get legitimate gains from on this platform when stock, and it's the only one you're going to get to make installment payments on over the course of tank-to-tank without any form of interest. It may be around a 10% upcharge, but some of that is made back in efficiency and the rest can be considered peace-of-mind for every application of the go-pedal.

And realize how this thread reads to those of us on the other side of the computer-you want information/guidance on a ~$500 upgrade but don't (didn't?) want to spend a few dollars per-tank. Either you use the AP3 and run the only 87-octane maps (stage 0 [stock-simulated] or economy) or you have a professional tuner give you a custom 87-octane tune that won't really fare much better than stock (given the octane) and would be significantly less than they could give you with better fuel. It's basically a lose-lose situation outside of now being able to monitor gauges.

Considering the overall thread, what I would recommend is buying the AP3 from the tuner that you ultimately choose and having a custom tune made for the best fuel you have available. Once that's done then keep that and the economy tune on your AP3. Only load up the custom tune when you fill up with premium and only use the economy tune when you're running 87. It's the best of both worlds because you'll have the power/efficiency of premium when you choose to fill up with it and you'll be limited on boost when running 87. It requires switching tunes, but the AP3 switches tunes significantly faster now than it did a couple of years ago so it's a really minor inconvenience at most.

OP
eleven
Thread Starter #27
Your third paragraph is exactly the scenario I want, asked if was possible and wanted to know if it were that simple. That's all I needed to hear. I don't need to hear that my decisions so far, decisions that support the end result of what I want this car to be, my car, my version of the car, were stupid decisions. That doesn't tell me or anyone else seeking advice anything of value. Thank you again for your time, opinion and expertise.

is 89 really that much of a cost savings over running 91/93? why not run 87 and save more? Just curious lol. I've been running 93 since day one. The accessport does have a 87 economy tune that you can run or just get a custom tune for 89.
I gave you your answer on page one. The accessport comes with an economy tune made for 87 octane.