Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New 2021 Miata Club or keep daily driving a Fiesta ST

Love my car but I can get a new miata club for 0.9% Fiesta was offered at 0% new, It was a selling point for me. My car is almost paid off, but also would love to have a new daily.

Pros; new car smell, rwd, lsd, 2300lbs 180hp, fun roadster with a great aftermarket and community, rock solid car enthusiasts car, closest we can get to an s2000 new.

Cons; price is right under 40k out the door for a miata depending if you go RF or not and if you want the track goodies, I don't want a faster car for the same money, but- minimal performance gains over Fiesta ST, less space (I have no kids), I am 6'4 but have sat in and drove one so no long distance road trips, starting over on payments.

The GR Yaris is the exact car I want but we don't get it in the USA. Crazy. I am not interested in the new 86 coming out or the 400z. I do have a soft spot for the little RF miata. They are just mean looking. The Fiesta ST is an awesome daily. Great visibility and space for what it is, also very practical as well as fun to drive and fuel efficient which is hard to find in new vehicles.

I know some of you track and daily and have good opinions on the matter... Feel free to chime in.

Last edited:

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Really depends how important RWD or the open roof is, and conversely how important having the extra space of a hatch back. I love my FiST and definitely wouldn't trade it for a Miata. For the performance level (relatively similar between the FiST and Miata), I don't think there's a more fun car out there than what we have. Miata could be more fun than the fiesta if you add forced induction.

How many miles on your fist and what mods?

If you are going to sell the FiST now is probably the time to do it given used car prices which will likely start coming down soon.

OP
Northwest
Thread Starter #3
rwd is not important to me I appreciate all three types, nor is having an open roof, to be honest I drove one and the near 50/50 weight balance and overall feel of the car was fantastic for what it is. They are very fun cars if you are looking for that type of car. My Fiesta is stock 2018 21k miles and it's been great I have zero complaints with my Fiesta ST in stock form.

Knowing my luck I would trade Fiona in and regret it 9 months down the road. My one complaint to the Fiesta is the lack of rally aftermarket. I thought it would grow more than it did. The used price market for these are really good up here.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
rwd is not important to me I appreciate all three types, nor is having an open roof, to be honest I drove one and the near 50/50 weight balance and overall feel of the car was fantastic for what it is. They are very fun cars if you are looking for that type of car. My Fiesta is stock 2018 21k miles and it's been great I have zero complaints with my Fiesta ST in stock form.

Knowing my luck I would trade Fiona in and regret it 9 months down the road. My one complaint to the Fiesta is the lack of rally aftermarket. I thought it would grow more than it did. The used price market for these are really good up here.
Maybe a happy medium between something new and exciting but keeping the fiesta? Spend a few thousand bucks on an intake, intercooler, and hybrid/s280 turbo? Hell even an intake, intercooler, tune is a world of difference from stock that could keep you entertained with the fiesta for a while longer.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

IF you are concerned at all about off road capability, even on stock suspension for both, the FiST is MUCH more able to handle the hits of gravel forestry roads than any factory Miata (especially a lowered, more stiffly sprung, and short suspension travel, Club version!).

But, if that is not a concern at all, on pavement, there are few more fun, affordable (relatively, maybe not the Club version), decent mileage, and 'tossable' cars than the little Mazda roadster.

Then again, there is NO WAY I am doing $675.00/month payments for 5 years, nope not even for a Yaris GR, if we ever got them. [wink]

There IS true rally grade (R2 level Reiger) coil over suspension for our cars, but yeah, it co$ts at least half of what most of them are worth (in a 'normal' market, NOT this current insanity). [:(]

Last edited:

Mikey456

Here’s a short answer. Do both! I think there was another guy on the forum that had both cars. They make for a great collection and both cars can compliment each other. One for the top down Sunday drive and the other for the daily drive. Of course only if you can swing it financially [emoji106]

ronmcdon

this is going to be my plan eventually in 2-3 years actually, although I'm not sure if I'd get a new car. also have a beater for daily driving as well. Want to have both but already have too many cars and insurance too high.

you can't go wrong with either choice really but I think it's going to be hard to have a ND as your daily. Had a NA years ago and loved it, but found it hard to drive it much due to it not being all that practical. Fiesta is a good 'do it all' car if you need to have only 1, as is the CTR and Veloster N.

Fiesta is a solid autoX, hdpe and daily w/ good mpg. I would go against the grain here to say it doesn't really need more power to be fun and instead would recommend investing in cooling, bushings, suspension, lsd and brakes. definitely be careful as it can be a money pit.
maybe this is where the ND would shine is that it's more fun on the street, track and competitive right out the box would be my guess. maybe it doesn't need as much in mods, but you are paying premium for it upfront.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
t
you can't go wrong with either choice really but I think it's going to be hard to have a ND as your daily. Had a NA years ago and loved it, but found it hard to drive it much due to it not being all that practical. Fiesta is a good 'do it all' car if you need to have only 1, as is the CTR and Veloster N.
This. Have you considered a Veloster N? I went from Fiesta to Veloster N and the only two things I miss are: Recaros, the MPGs on the highway. Otherwise its superior in every way. The 2021+ have an updated (mildly) interior with better seats for track focused people, but remain mechanically the same as the 2019-2020 cars. I paid just over what MSRP for a fully loaded Fiesta ST would have been for the Veloster (27k), granted you can no longer get them for that price, I just feel like it is a true spiritual successor or at least the next logical step up from a Fiesta ST.

The Miata and fiesta fill such similar roles it would be hard to add 40k in debt and to my life for it. At 40k I would be looking at used enthusiast cars with more power to scratch a different itch than the fiesta scratches. If I did dump my fiesta (no plans) I would be looking for something like this though 40k is steep for what it is (imo)

ronmcdon

Yeah sometimes its better to spend more upfront and get a car you don't need to mod so much.

I myself was not looking for a 300-400hp car when I got my fiesta and love the idea of 'slow car fast' so it fits my criteria. however I get the impression here that every other member wants a turbo upgrade and make around 300whp. If that's the case you might be better served with a Voloster N straight from the factory with similar power levels, lsd and a suspension thats arguably better sorted out. You are likely to save $$$ in the long run. maybe get better cooling, pads, 200tw tires and you are set for hpde.

OP
Northwest
Thread Starter #11
I haven't been in an N those are very rare around here, definitely a great car I would love to drive, but I am more interested in the Miata specifically the ND2 which is the 2019 and newer. They did a lot of refinements and improvements. They fixed the trans issues the early ones had which is why I passed on them in the first place and got the Fiesta instead. The ND2 engines have a redesigned intake manifold, larger throttle body, larger intake and exhaust valves, bigger cams, improved fuel injection, revised exhaust manifold, forged pistons, forged connecting rods, a stronger crankshaft, and a dual mass flywheel. They've obtained an almost 30hp increase, and 700rpm increase in revs. So it makes the newer ones an obvious better starting point unless you are pulling all the shit out for an LS3 swap build from flying miata or something but not many are realistically doing that. As far as the rally comments I would have no plan what so ever turning an ND2 miata into a rally car. They are tight track cars/autocross and b road cruisers. I wouldn't even plan on boost just better brakes and fox suspension upgrade which is what most do who race. The miata cup cars are awesome and make me want a soft top over the RF if I do this, itll allow me to get the suspension upgrade right away saving 4 grand over the Retractable fast back. You can get a hard top for the rag top models that weigh only 20lbs. So you save 100lbs of top weight. Which is why all the "race" ones are rag top models.

So It makes more sense to buy a new one than used, the used ND2 are going for near MSRP and will not offer 0.9%, a new one will be a better deal for at least 5 years. Who knows about depreciation. I do know the Older ones like 16 17 and 18 will be worth substantially less. If you see the newer Miata used and they are only 20k its probably a base soft top no lsd and definitely a 16-18. Our cars for only ending production in the USA 2 years ago are already appreciating to the point of almost losing no money if you bought one new and kept it stock. Will they continue to go up? What can replace these?

Its still in 2021 no better performance wise than our cars, and has a lot less visibility if you get the RF and will be less practical in every way, in space and passenger room, fall/winter weather etc.. You have to drive one of these new ND2 to understand them, it makes a lot of the obvious negatives not as big of a deal but I am really happy with my Fiesta and might do the 4x100 mod on it and just let the build begin.

As far as both, I could but I am thinking of tabs and yearly fees and insurance. Those sway me away from having two small vehicles. Makes it a bad investment and I would probably get a 93 miata instead and build that and tow it to the track, but I am not looking to go down that route, I like the ND2.

The offer ends on 8/2 and the lack of inventory and choices will most likely sway me into keeping the Fiesta ST for now. I would love to find a set of 4x108 TE37 which our rim selection is garbage we can all agree on that, man it bugs me... I am still worried nothing can replace the Fiesta ST in all it's strong points at the end of the day, unless I want to import a GR Yaris which is pointless because you cannot insure them. The new GR Corolla coming to us is not interesting to me, too big for a 3 cylinder, probably no manual trans and I'd want the Yaris size. If I bought a miata as my "last car" and built it and then the GR Yaris comes to the USA I would be pretty upset. Toyota is trolling us with it.

Last edited:

ronmcdon

I would say stick with the fiesta for now. ND you can still buy new at least a few years from now and still get good deals.

what got me to pick the fiesta over the ND in oct ‘20 in part is bc I predicted the price of getting a used Fiesta would only go up and the ND wouldnt change all thar much in the mean time.

yes I agree with ‘19 NDs and up. Thats another incentive to hold on and wait until you have a better selection of them.

with fiesta wheels you could try contacting companies like kenesis, ccw and bc forged to see if they’ll make you a custom set of 17’s. Braid also has a nice selection (ordered set of 17x9s +35). However you can expect to pay premium over TE’s. If I could get a set of TE’s would have jumped on them

Mikey456

I haven't been in an N those are very rare around here, definitely a great car I would love to drive, but I am more interested in the Miata specifically the ND2 which is the 2019 and newer. They did a lot of refinements and improvements. They fixed the trans issues the early ones had which is why I passed on them in the first place and got the Fiesta instead. The ND2 engines have a redesigned intake manifold, larger throttle body, larger intake and exhaust valves, bigger cams, improved fuel injection, revised exhaust manifold, forged pistons, forged connecting rods, a stronger crankshaft, and a dual mass flywheel. They've obtained an almost 30hp increase, and 700rpm increase in revs. So it makes the newer ones an obvious better starting point unless you are pulling all the shit out for an LS3 swap build from flying miata or something but not many are realistically doing that. As far as the rally comments I would have no plan what so ever turning an ND2 miata into a rally car. They are tight track cars/autocross and b road cruisers. I wouldn't even plan on boost just better brakes and fox suspension upgrade which is what most do who race. The miata cup cars are awesome and make me want a soft top over the RF if I do this, itll allow me to get the suspension upgrade right away saving 4 grand over the Retractable fast back. You can get a hard top for the rag top models that weigh only 20lbs. So you save 100lbs of top weight. Which is why all the "race" ones are rag top models.

So It makes more sense to buy a new one than used, the used ND2 are going for near MSRP and will not offer 0.9%, a new one will be a better deal for at least 5 years. Who knows about depreciation. I do know the Older ones like 16 17 and 18 will be worth substantially less. If you see the newer Miata used and they are only 20k its probably a base soft top no lsd and definitely a 16-18. Our cars for only ending production in the USA 2 years ago are already appreciating to the point of almost losing no money if you bought one new and kept it stock. Will they continue to go up? What can replace these?

Its still in 2021 no better performance wise than our cars, and has a lot less visibility if you get the RF and will be less practical in every way, in space and passenger room, fall/winter weather etc.. You have to drive one of these new ND2 to understand them, it makes a lot of the obvious negatives not as big of a deal but I am really happy with my Fiesta and might do the 4x100 mod on it and just let the build begin.

As far as both, I could but I am thinking of tabs and yearly fees and insurance. Those sway me away from having two small vehicles. Makes it a bad investment and I would probably get a 93 miata instead and build that and tow it to the track, but I am not looking to go down that route, I like the ND2.

The offer ends on 8/2 and the lack of inventory and choices will most likely sway me into keeping the Fiesta ST for now. I would love to find a set of 4x108 TE37 which our rim selection is garbage we can all agree on that, man it bugs me... I am still worried nothing can replace the Fiesta ST in all it's strong points at the end of the day, unless I want to import a GR Yaris which is pointless because you cannot insure them. The new GR Corolla coming to us is not interesting to me, too big for a 3 cylinder, probably no manual trans and I'd want the Yaris size. If I bought a miata as my "last car" and built it and then the GR Yaris comes to the USA I would be pretty upset. Toyota is trolling us with it.
Sounds like you have done the research. What’s up with the lack of inventory with most folks buying SUVs? Is it the chip problem? I have to save the new Miata looks great in that red/maroon color and I don’t typically like red cars. The cup model is the one to have. But it can not replace the practically and the turbo fun I have in my FiST.

Oh man I feel you on the GR Yaris I want one so bad as well.

On topic neighbor of mine has a 2020 Miata RF and it is a sweet machine! I would love to have one but the FiST is the better value for sure. For the money that buys a new ND2 RF there are a lot of other cars I might consider as well ( I want a used Cayman really bad haha)

Tough decision...the easy answer is just buy both and screw the finances you only live once lol

OP
Northwest
Thread Starter #15
Ron your first sentence actually makes a lot of sense. On top of that, I have never liked a car this much and to trade it in for something I may or may not like more long term is a gamble and once my fiesta is gone it's gone, someone else will have it.

It's just being able to get ohlins/fox suspension, and whatever te37 I want, whenever, as well as every other mod. It is so easy. Nothing needs to be shipped from Europe or be made custom like our parts. Is that worth going into payments again so I can have the selection of mods I want for my car...

Mikey I have the exact same feeling towards that maroon color. I am not a red car fan but it looks amazing on the little miata. All of the colors look great, white is probably my least favorite color on the miata and with a set of coilovers and te37 they become amazing looking as well. I think miata have always been a smaller lot car. When I was looking a few years back choices where minimal on the lot. Americans love suv and trucks, most have kids, most do not have a purpose for a miata. These cars are for a very specific crowd. Also the chip shortage ordeal probably doesn't help. I am unsure if Miata had issues with that.

27415102882_7846a98f13_o.jpg
27237539710_3c9090b872_o.jpg
TE37VSL2021_294.jpg

R5 - The Yaris is the perfect car. I would be happy with that car stock, forever. Stay far away from your neighbor and do not drive his miata, it will ruin your life LOL if I had the you only live once mindset I would quit my job, sell everything I own, live in an rv trailer and tow a cup miata behind it and try and get into competitive racing. If only... haha

Last edited:
Damn those TE-37s look good. I also love RPF1s on Miatas but I might be biased since I had a set on my old Acura. As for the RF I know, I am afraid if I drive it I will want to buy one! I already love the way they look. Only Miata I drove was my friends NB at AutoX in El Toro some years back it was a blast. Once I get rid of the Fusion soon I am debating having a second fun car. I don't really need a daily anymore working from home lol

Lastly quit the job and just race that is the dream! For now I just race in my mancave:

ronmcdon

It's just being able to get ohlins/fox suspension, and whatever te37 I want, whenever, as well as every other mod. It is so easy. Nothing needs to be shipped from Europe or be made custom like our parts. Is that worth going into payments again so I can have the selection of mods I want for my car... haha
You know what, the Meister GT1s compare really well to Ohlins RT coilovers. Hard to compare but have the ohlins on my Evo x w 10/10 rates (got TEs too in 18x10 +20) and my fiesta w Meister GT1 8/6 rates.

The only thing the Ohlins excel is I can set the valving really stiff on a poorly paved course like streets of willow or autoX parking lot and the car magickly does not skip. with the Meisters you have to play with it more, but its super easy to do with a pin on the rear shocks and adjustment by hand in the front. Takes like 5 mins. Meisters ride a tad more comfy. I would not hesitate to go Meister GT1 on my Evo if I couldnt get Ohlins.

With TEs totally understood. Its a good wheel at a decent if slightly above premium price.

Some Evo and Fiesta owners may take offense to this but the Fiesta is like a poor man's Evo. Slightly easier to spin, just as easy to rotate, slightly more fun, lot lot cheaper to run daily or track and much better daily.