Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New 2022 Hyundai Veloster N

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Look what's in my garage.

{Spoiler alert - it's not mine.The ST is of course mine, the Veloster N belongs to my girlfriend's son who just bought it today.]

He has to go out of town tomorrow and asked me if he could leave it in my garage while he's gone because he doesn't have a safe place to keep it. He just graduated from college and managed to land himself a good job at Google, so he was able to go ahead and buy a really nice car for himself. It wasn't quite the right time for him to do it, he wanted to work for a while first, but I told him that these cars are going away and this might be his last chance.
He got really interested in cars, and I helped him through the process of picking cars and buying this car. It was a fun bonding experience for us.We went out for a drive, and I drove it briefly. My first impressions were really good, I thought the handling was really tight, maybe a slight bit less maneuverable than our car because of the extra weight. It's got a nice engine, a 275 horsepower 2 liter, and it's fast.
I was trying to remember who on this forum has one, I remember somebody talking about it. Chime if you see this and let us know how you are liking yours at this point if you have a chance.
PXL_20220714_234404611.jpg

Last edited:

Magnetic

Look what's in my garage.

{Spoiler alert - it's not mine.The ST is of course mine, the Veloster N belongs to my girlfriend's son who just bought it today.]

He has to go out of town tomorrow and asked me if he could leave it in my garage while he's gone because he doesn't have a safe place to keep it. He just graduated from college and managed to land himself a good job at Google, so he was able to go ahead and buy a really nice car for himself. It wasn't quite the right time for him to do it, he wanted to work for a while first, but I told him that these cars are going away and this might be his last chance.
He got really interested in cars, and I helped him through the process of picking cars and buying this car. It was a fun bonding experience for us.We went out for a drive, and I drove it briefly. My first impressions were really good, I thought the handling was really tight, maybe a slight bit less maneuverable than our car because of the extra weight. It's got a nice engine, a 275 horsepower 2 liter, and it's fast.
I was trying to remember who on this forum has one, I remember somebody talking about it. Chime if you see this and let us know how you are liking yours at this point if you have a chance.
View attachment 49900
I almost bought one 4 months ago but the one the dealer had was black and with Arizona heat (and my FiST staying in the garage) I didnt want to risk paint peeling in a few years. Still really like them though!!!

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
I almost bought one 4 months ago but the one the dealer had was black and with Arizona heat (and my FiST staying in the garage) I didnt want to risk paint peeling in a few years. Still really like them though!!!
I wouldn't want a black one either, I also think it would be too hot. It just doesn't look as good either, the blue one really pops. I don't think the base Veloster looks that good, but the N model looks really good with the body tweaks that they did to it.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
There is one in my neighborhood, around the corner from me (when in Pa.) that very same color. [thumb] [driving]
That light blue color is especially appropriate here in Chapel Hill, NC.Most of us in both families went to UNC, and that is our school color. We call it Carolina Blue.
When a Veloster N showed up in that color at our local dealer, I told him you've got to get this thing.I think it was the only blue one in North Carolina, and since the Veloster N is being discontinued after the 2022 model year, it may be the last new one that he would have ever had a chance to buy.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
In that side by side pic above, one sees just how much lower in overall height, and wider in body width/track the VN is than our rides, and therefore, lower cg.

That has to offset some of the weight disadvantage it has over our cars, as far as handling/ultimate stick, and even steering response goes, no??

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
In that side by side pic above, one sees just how much lower in overall height, and wider in body width/track the VN is than our rides, and therefore, lower cg.

That has to offset some of the weight disadvantage it has over our cars, as far as handling/ultimate stick, and even steering response goes, no??
That's an interesting point, I just drove it very briefly and it felt really good, but I wasn't able to make a direct comparison yet. He told me I was free to drive it while he was out of town, and it's very tempting, but I don't think I'm going to.It was one day old and had 51 miles on it when he parked it in my garage, and if some idiot ran into me while I was driving and wrecked his car I would just feel so bad.

Last edited:
Well, don't have any experience owning one but got recently whupped by one with a JB4 tune, intake, downpipes and exhaust in Mexico.

My current setup:
S280.
Whoosh V3 front mount intercooler.
Mishimoto cold side intercooler pipe.
S280 hot side intercooler pipe.
Turbosmart Dual Port BOV.
Whoosh crossover pipe, Ramair induction hose and Whoosh intake.
3" Whoosh V1 catless downpipe.
3" MRBP catback exhaust.
Cobb Accessport - Final 93 tune. (Made 235 whp on final 91 tune on a Mustang dyno, so about 255 whp on a dynojet.)

Attachments

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Well, don't have any experience owning one but got recently whupped by one with a JB4 tune, intake, downpipes and exhaust in Mexico.

My current setup:
S280.
3" MRBP catback exhaust.
Cobb Accessport - Final 93 tune. (Made 235 whp on final 91 tune on a Mustang dyno, so about 255 whp on a dynojet.)
Time to get Corny! E30-E50 here you come!

gtx3076

1000 Post Club

My current setup:
S280.
3" MRBP catback exhaust.
He’s stock turbo with a tune?

My current setup:
S280.
3" MRBP catback exhaust.
Seems low for 93 s280, on 91 my s280 made 278whp on dynojet, similar mods.

Seems low for 93 s280, on 91 my s280 made 278whp on dynojet, similar mods.
Maaan, who you telling? You preaching to the choir bro. Apparently most tuners say 265 whp is the absolute max for 91 octane and that 290 - 300 whp is the max for 93 octane. Apparently it's not the fuel system but the knock ceiling which I assume would imply higher octane is required, hence ethanol is required over 300 whp in conjunction with some type of fuel upgrade.
Honestly, I think there was a fourth revision for my 91 tune but the Mishimoto J-Line had alot of heatsoak on the first datalog and I reviewed it and it was, and there was enough knock that the tuner suggested that we move to 93. That's where I dynoed 235 whp on the Mustang dyno and I approximate whp to be about 255 whp on a dynojet.
Furthermore, I'm speculating that the 93 base tune I received was nearly "all the beans" since the revision was the final and the tuner said I was running out of fuel and he dialed that back. So I don't know which one is stronger but I'm assuming the revision since I ran both at quarter mile track and I ran better on the revision than the base 93. But perhaps I had more heatsoak at that point too. I have to datalog my runs next time. But probably going to dyno the 93 revision next month or whatnot to see if I'm close to the 300 whp mark, which I reallly don't think I am. Thinking like 275 whp on a dynojet and 255 whp on a Mustang dyno.
And finally, tuning for ethanol this week. Yay. The way things are going, probably won't hit the 350 whp ceiling but like 330 whp. Gonna have to wait and see.

He’s stock turbo with a tune?
Apparently stock turbo, but that OEM turbo, if it is (couldn't find a photo), it's fuggen big. Our "big" turbos small in the first place and 16g turbos on the 4G63 and T28 turbos on the Sr20 aren't that big either but this one is bigger than both of those.
Anywho, JB4 tune, intake, downpipes, and exhaust is what that Veloster N has.

Dialcaliper

Apparently stock turbo, but that OEM turbo, if it is (couldn't find a photo), it's fuggen big. Our "big" turbos small in the first place and 16g turbos on the 4G63 and T28 turbos on the Sr20 aren't that big either but this one is bigger than both of those.
Anywho, JB4 tune, intake, downpipes, and exhaust is what that Veloster N has.
That’s a bit hyperbole. Apparently the Veloster N uses a Korean licensed copy of a TD04-13W, which is closer to the 13B and 13T used on the first gen DSM auto transmission and the mid 00’s WRX imported to the US. So smaller than both the T28 and 14b you listed, and much smaller than a 16g or it’s variants that can be pushed to 350-400whp.

https://www.velostern.com/threads/oem-turbo-size.3107/

From the sound of it, Hyundai N has already turned the wick up close to 11 on that turbo from the factory, unlike the old school turbo cars that had miles of overhead on the tune because they were derived from homologated WRC engines that were designed for >300hp. Consequently it sounds like the VN doesn’t respond to simple bolt ons/tuning very well without a turbo swap which is pretty involved since it’s an integrated manifold/one piece “turbifold” design.

Also from what I can find, the whole engine is designed and tuned near its limits. The stock turbo on high octane/ethanol runs out of steam ~320whp and the stock rods shortly thereafter at 325whp, so any serious tuning means a built block

An old Subaru 13T is good for about 25 lb/min or 360 SCFM. The Veloster 13W is probably good for slightly more than that. Compared to a GT2554R, which rates at 27.5lb/min, probably right in the same ballpark as a the smaller end of Fiesta “big turbos”.

Some max flow rates (ie limits, not factory boost/flow levels) for reference:
KP39 (stock): ~18lb/min
K03 (Focus ST/hybrids): ~20lb/min
GT2554R: 27.5 lb/min
MHI 14B: 29lb/min
GT2860RS (aka “Disco Potato”): 35 lb/min
MHI “Evo III 16G: 38-44lb/min

And just for fun:
STI VF39/VF48: ~35 lb/min
Civic Type R 5BF- TD04~36 lb/min
Evo 8-9 TD05R-16G: ~42 lb/min
Focus RS Stock GT22: 45 lb/min

the old “rule of thumb” was roughly ~10whp for every lb/min, but there are big error bars on that depending on the engine.

Last edited:
That’s a bit hyperbole. Apparently the Veloster N uses a Korean licensed copy of a TD04-13W, which is closer to the 13B and 13T used on the first gen DSM auto transmission and the mid 00’s WRX imported to the US. So smaller than both the T28 and 14b you listed, and much smaller than a 16g or it’s variants that can be pushed to 350-400whp.

https://www.velostern.com/threads/oem-turbo-size.3107/

From the sound of it, Hyundai N has already turned the wick up close to 11 on that turbo from the factory, unlike the old school turbo cars that had miles of overhead on the tune because they were derived from homologated WRC engines that were designed for >300hp. Consequently it sounds like the VN doesn’t respond to simple bolt ons/tuning very well without a turbo swap which is pretty involved since it’s an integrated manifold/one piece “turbifold” design.

Also from what I can find, the whole engine is designed and tuned near its limits. The stock turbo on high octane/ethanol runs out of steam ~320whp and the stock rods shortly thereafter at 325whp, so any serious tuning means a built block

An old Subaru 13T is good for about 25 lb/min or 360 SCFM. The Veloster 13W is probably good for slightly more than that. Compared to a GT2554R, which rates at 27.5lb/min, probably right in the same ballpark as a the smaller end of Fiesta “big turbos”.

Some max flow rates (ie limits, not factory boost/flow levels) for reference:
KP39 (stock): ~18lb/min
K03 (Focus ST/hybrids): ~20lb/min
GT2554R: 27.5 lb/min
MHI 14B: 29lb/min
GT2860RS (aka “Disco Potato”): 35 lb/min
MHI “Evo III 16G: 38-44lb/min

And just for fun:
STI VF39/VF48: ~35 lb/min
Civic Type R 5BF- TD04~36 lb/min
Evo 8-9 TD05R-16G: ~42 lb/min
Focus RS Stock GT22: 45 lb/min

the old “rule of thumb” was roughly ~10whp for every lb/min, but there are big error bars on that depending on the engine.
I appreciate the insight but let me be transparent here, it physically looks bigger than these turbos I'm referring too. Eye test in conjunction with memory which is not 100% accurate.
It's certainly bigger than the 14b turbo that I had on my 1g DSM and bigger than the S280 and the T25 I have on my Bluebird sr20det.
Should probably go look at a stock N turbo in comparison. And while I haven't taken the time to research if the guy I ran had an upgraded turbo, he said it was stock. 🤷

jeff

2000 Post Club
VelN is a nice car. I've never driven one but I read alot about them when they were new, the enthusiasts I tend to respect respected them. I've always said if something ever happened to my ST I'd hunt for a VelN to replace it.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
VelN is a nice car. I've never driven one but I read alot about them when they were new, the enthusiasts I tend to respect respected them. I've always said if something ever happened to my ST I'd hunt for a VelN to replace it.
I enjoyed it a lot on my brief drive.It would be at the top of my short list for a car to replace my ST if I had to. Of course, it's about to become unavailable too. This is the last model year for it.