Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

"New" Engine concern

Okay, so few weeks ago my 2020 St edition has had a new engine covered under warranty(thank fuck) due to piston slap on cylinder 1 but I'm still a tad concerned with this "new" engine. Its had about 1300 miles on it since fitting and never thrashed it, always Waiting for the engine to slightly warm on cold starts and my daily commute is just me sitting at approx 2.5k rpm on the carriage way but this engine just sounds awful at times when I do put my foot down a little... And mostly under load like up hills, do these Dragon engines just sound terrible mechanically even brand new?

Okay, so few weeks ago my 2020 St edition has had a new engine covered under warranty(thank fuck) due to piston slap on cylinder 1 but I'm still a tad concerned with this "new" engine. Its had about 1300 miles on it since fitting and never thrashed it, always Waiting for the engine to slightly warm on cold starts and my daily commute is just me sitting at approx 2.5k rpm on the carriage way but this engine just sounds awful at times when I do put my foot down a little... And mostly under load like up hills, do these Dragon engines just sound terrible mechanically even brand new?
When you say it sounds awful are you referring to potential metal on metal contact, misfire, burning fluids, or just the exhaust note?
Different fuel injection styles will have different sounds under the engine bay.
If the car is running fine and does not present any issues I would imagine it is just the exhaust note you are worried about.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Do ALL of the Mk8 engines used now have dual injection (port AND direct)??

Maybe it is the sum total of all of those injector 'ticks' IDecX is hearing?

Is this a naturally aspirated 1.5 3 pot, or are they using the old SFE's (and base power plant for the Rally 4 cars) 1.0 3 banger EcoBoost in that ST Edition (which I am guessing is the equivalent to our Mk7(.5) 'ST LINE' Fiestas here)? [dunno]

The Dragon engine is the 1.5L EcoBoost found in the Mk8 ST variant.
https://www.ford.co.uk/content/dam/...s/component-sales/1.5l-dragon-gtdi-engine.pdf

I have no experience with it, but have heard both this and the Corolla/Yaris 1.5L 3 cylinder have terrible exhaust notes from factory. And when you mention it sounding bad when flooring it up hills you might just be lugging the engine. Easily noticed by deep burbling strained engine sounds. Try switching down a gear and get some revs up. Even with a small turbo it's happier above 3k RPM when you floor it.

OP
I
Thread Starter #5
When you say it sounds awful are you referring to potential metal on metal contact, misfire, burning fluids, or just the exhaust note?
Different fuel injection styles will have different sounds under the engine bay.
If the car is running fine and does not present any issues I would imagine it is just the exhaust note you are worried about.
Sorry for long reply, I completely forgot, It sounds metallic and very similar to the sounds I was getting before the engine got replaced, engine feels smooth and accelerates smooth but I'm still not sure. It could just be loud lifters or the injectors like the the 1L ecoboost they're known to have very loud injectors as my dad's 19 , 21 and even his new 23 plate st line have very audible injectors. My noise is mostly heard under a heavy load like going up a steep hill and I know the exhaust note is weird as it's a 3 cylinder but it's not that

OP
I
Thread Starter #6
Do ALL of the Mk8 engines used now have dual injection (port AND direct)??

Maybe it is the sum total of all of those injector 'ticks' IDecX is hearing?

Is this a naturally aspirated 1.5 3 pot, or are they using the old SFE's (and base power plant for the Rally 4 cars) 1.0 3 banger EcoBoost in that ST Edition (which I am guessing is the equivalent to our Mk7(.5) 'ST LINE' Fiestas here)? [dunno]
I'm hoping it's the loud injectors as the engine still feels smooth as silk while accelerating while my last engine had a loud knocking sound and felt rough. This is the turbo charged 1.5l St engine 200ps

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
So they offered an actual Fiesta ST 'Special Edition' before the current/last model year of the Mk8 Fiesta ST (the one you can get in the Focus RS's shocking/Nitrous Blue color)?
Somehow I thought that was only ever offered/released for the 2023-2024 model years, and not in 2020. [dunno]

That's why I was questioning which engine you had, since I thought you owned something like our (aesthetics/body kit only, NOT an actual ST) Mk7(.5) 'ST LINE' car, which I guess you never had over there?

OP
I
Thread Starter #8
yeah i have the 2020-2021 ST Edtion the bright blue one very similair to the Focus RS nitrous blue,its called azure blue apparently, The engine feels smooth so im hopeing that noise im hearing its just loud af injectors

The Mk7.5 had a physical sound symposer hooked to the cabin to enhance the induction noise. The Mk8 apparently has some acoustic enhancements in forms of digital sound.
It might be fake induction noise pumped through your speakers. It is removable though. But if it's mechanical sounds like ticking it might be injectors as mentioned.
https://www.fiestastoc.com/threads/virtual-exhaust-cabin-sound-again.325137/#post-4558069

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Are you sure they replaced it? Maybe they repaired the existing one by servicing only the first cylinder.

Down with the POSER noises LoL. At least put an off switch on that nonsense.

OP
I
Thread Starter #11
Are you sure they replaced it? Maybe they repaired the existing one by servicing only the first cylinder.

Down with the POSER noises LoL. At least put an off switch on that nonsense.
No it's been replaced, the block and head is brand new shiny while my alternator and other auxiliary's are dirty and obviously older which must have been taken off the old engine and it on this