Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New Z - C&D First Drive

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Agreed, however my wife’s rogue has had 0 problems in 75k miles and my Infiniti EX35 was entirely problem free for 75k miles before I got rid of it. Extremely small sample size but I’ve been happy with them and wouldn’t hesitate to buy another.
Their handling of the whole cvt debacle was ridiculous. That's a huge part of their reliability, but the concerning part wasn't just that all the CVT's were imploding, but their handling of it. It hasn't helped that altimas are the poster child for shitty credit. I used to love gen4 maximas, had a GLE with a stillen sC on it and a couple other gen4's, they lasted forever, but ever since the "partnership" with renault the quality just dropped like a rock. You know what they say, if you want a reliable car look no further than something french :p

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
Their handling of the whole cvt debacle was ridiculous. That's a huge part of their reliability, but the concerning part wasn't just that all the CVT's were imploding, but their handling of it. It hasn't helped that altimas are the poster child for shitty credit. I used to love gen4 maximas, had a GLE with a stillen sC on it and a couple other gen4's, they lasted forever, but ever since the "partnership" with renault the quality just dropped like a rock. You know what they say, if you want a reliable car look no further than something french :p
Hahaha. Totally agree sir, especially on the Renault part.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The 1LE Camaro chassis is amazing for track usage, up there with Porsche all day long at the track event results I see posted on FB often, I wouldn't count them out quite yet! It'll be interesting to see what type of track times the Z ends up doing, from what I understand it's basically a 370Z chassis still, and those are outpaced by 1LE / ZL1 1LE on track days.

I'm super interested to see how this does when it comes to market, but seems like 50k for the performance option is quite steep, we'll see.
I won’t disagree about the Camaro except I will say to dismiss the Z away just because it’s based off the Z34 platform is to sell it short. The Z34 chassis was actually a really good chassis it’s the setup of it that could have been better in the 370. Double wishbone front suspension thats got new upper control arms aka geometry tweaks being a part of that ,other refinements as well. The reviewers are already commenting on how well it drives / handles. It definitely out does the 370 so I would not be the skeptic but I get maybe your not a Nissan guy or a Z guy. Oh and it does look a lot better than a Camaro sorry but I find them a bit big and overdone in a Chevy way looking.

Gone is the 3.7 liter VQ replaced with a 3 liter twin turbo VR thats been proven to a 1000HP by AMS as well in the Q60 Redsport!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I never really loved the looks of the 370, maybe except for the NISMO version (why I asked about the possibility of that package for the 400 [wink]), nor any of the other V-6 gens.

But this new one is pretty sweet looking to me.

(My dad owned a manual 280Z, when it was new, BTW.)

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I never really loved the looks of the 370, maybe except for the NISMO version (why I asked about the possibility of that package for the 400 [wink]), nor any of the other V-6 gens.

But this new one is pretty sweet looking to me.

(My dad owned a manual 280Z, when it was new, BTW.)
I am sure there will be a Nismo version of the new one and yes it will probably have a side skirt , front bumper and wing body package as most Nismo models do.
Ya the 370 never looked that great but the chassis was actually lauded when it came out for being a stiffer version of the Z33 350z chassis.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I guess I got my answer…
This YouTube clip goes into it and the options you get in the different trim levels.

View: https://youtu.be/js8zzCtmiQw
All of this stuff was covered in other reviews. Plus he has no test drive experience you are going on his assumptions. Honestly he is low rent as hell. lol He compares it to. GR Corolla they are completely different cars. If this sways you then you were never the target customer because A : All the driving reviews like it. B: He is whining like a baby wah wah wah .If you think this is some kind of revelation. Oh and people have driven open diff high powered cars on track for years .
Plus the Supra is ugly and it’s a BMW if he likes the Supra then he should go buy it . Oh wait the Supra has been out for several years and he has not bought which means he is basically a Youtube poser trying to get clicks for the sake of clicks and guess what he sucked you in.
The other makes me laugh as well saying this is unfortunate for Nissan. Lots of people are excited about this car both of them sound like they cannot afford them anyways.

Ya don’t buy one it’s okay but do it after you have actually driven one and drawn your own conclusions before listening to this guy.
I do not buy cars solely based on Youtube opinions and you should not either. I did not buy my FiST that I did not by my M3’s that way .
So you have some doubts that’s fair but to rule a car out strictly based on that guys vid well . Ya no, that’s not the way anyone should do it.

Mikey456

All of this stuff was covered in other reviews. Plus he has no test drive experience you are going on his assumptions. Honestly he is low rent as hell. lol He compares it to. GR Corolla they are completely different cars. If this sways you then you were never the target customer because A : All the driving reviews like it. B: He is whining like a baby wah wah wah .If you think this is some kind of revelation. Oh and people have driven open diff high powered cars on track for years .
Plus the Supra is ugly and it’s a BMW if he likes the Supra then he should go buy it . Oh wait the Supra has been out for several years and he has not bought which means he is basically a Youtube poser trying to get clicks for the sake of clicks and guess what he sucked you in.
The other makes me laugh as well saying this is unfortunate for Nissan. Lots of people are excited about this car both of them sound like they cannot afford them anyways.

Ya don’t buy one it’s okay but do it after you have actually driven one and drawn your own conclusions before listening to this guy.
I do not buy cars solely based on Youtube opinions and you should not either. I did not buy my FiST that I did not by my M3’s that way .
So you have some doubts that’s fair but to rule a car out strictly based on that guys vid well . Ya no, that’s not the way anyone should do it.
I would not so dismissive of this YouTuber. He does have biases towards Japanese cars, but so what. If you watch his video reviews and comparisons you’ll notice that he is an enthusiast and seems to know how to drive a car on a canyon and the track. He’s also driven more desirable cars (Porsche 911, R8, NSX) than I could hope to ever drive. I like his philosophy of dual usage of street and track cars. Regardless of a particular car. Look at his review of the FRS/BRZ vs S2000 vs. Miata. These are cars that I’m sure I would enjoy as much as my car. And he drives them harder than I would. He definitely has more track experience than me. So I would not take his opinions with a grain of salt. He is not a big YouTuber so he probably has to wait in the back of the line. But I give him more credence than a YouTuber that giggles going down a straight road talking about infotainment systems. By the way he’s reading the numbers of the website and 10k is a lot if you want a limited slip and good brakes. Just saying. I know these cars are a soft spot for you, but you did go through the trouble of adding a limited slip to your car. You do have an excellent M3. No journalist can dispute that. And from the reviews (including his) , the new FRS/BRZ are great values and excellent performers. Maybe you are looking for something different like a GT car. No worries. I’m a car enthusiast first and don’t have allegiances to any brand. That’s why I’m skeptical of all the hype in this car. But numbers matter. For some it’s the horsepower for me it’s the weight/size. Which is why I’m driving the FIST and not the Focus RS.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I would not so dismissive of this YouTuber. He does have biases towards Japanese cars, but so what. If you watch his video reviews and comparisons you’ll notice that he is an enthusiast and seems to know how to drive a car on a canyon and the track. He’s also driven more desirable cars (Porsche 911, R8, NSX) than I could hope to ever drive. I like his philosophy of dual usage of street and track cars. Regardless of a particular car. Look at his review of the FRS/BRZ vs S2000 vs. Miata. These are cars that I’m sure I would enjoy as much as my car. And he drives them harder than I would. He definitely has more track experience than me. So I would not take his opinions with a grain of salt. He is not a big YouTuber so he probably has to wait in the back of the line. But I give him more credence than a YouTuber that giggles going down a straight road talking about infotainment systems. By the way he’s reading the numbers of the website and 10k is a lot if you want a limited slip and good brakes. Just saying. I know these cars are a soft spot for you, but you did go through the trouble of adding a limited slip to your car. You do have an excellent M3. No journalist can dispute that. And from the reviews (including his) , the new FRS/BRZ are great values and excellent performers. Maybe you are looking for something different like a GT car. No worries. I’m a car enthusiast first and don’t have allegiances to any brand. That’s why I’m skeptical of all the hype in this car. But numbers matter. For some it’s the horsepower for me it’s the weight/size. Which is why I’m driving the FIST and not the Focus RS.
I am a car enthusiast , I have driven and owned lots of other cars than what I currently have. I do not give him credence because he is reading info then passing judgement.
As far the 10k goes it’s not just the limited slip and brakes which he seems to be so hung up on . You are also getting Rays forged aluminum wheels that are lighter than the base 18’s. Do you even know how much a set of forged Volk/Rays cost. For nineteens that would easily cost a person 3-4k in the aftermarket. There is also the larger screen, rev match shifting, The rear wing so ya he missed a few things in what you get for that extra 10k . In fact most reviewers have sat there and said for the 10k extra Nissan gives you your money’s worth.
Truth is no one is completely happy price wise as it jumped by 5k but given current inflation it’s not really surprising.
As for your automatic assumption it’s a GT car well that is your assumption you seem to assume a lot without even driving the car.
Oh and do not blame on my previous ownership of Datsuns and Nissans as much as I have loved the company I have criticized a lot of theirs cars in the past. I criticized 280z’s I criticized 280zx’s, I criticized 300zx‘ prior to the z32 while I showed respect for that car I criticized it compared to a 240sx S13 which wiped the floor with it in Japan as the 180sx. There was a reason Nissan did not stick the C18DET or SR20DET in the car stateside. Nissan has made plenty of mistakes car wise I do not see this car as one of them as he so proudly tries to proclaim without even having driven one. Ya I am and have been a car enthusiast to the point of being in the car business besides the music business over the course of my whole adult life. I did not start and run a Japanese engine and transmission business selling SSS Datsun engines , FJ20DETs , Toyota 2TG’s in the early 80’s as well as building and selling drift cars in the 90’s because ahem car enthusiasm.
Ya you called me out on it so I rolled it.

Oh and for the record Nissan has history of making cars perform way beyond what they should be capable of based off just weight which here you are hung up on. They did that with the GTR in 2009 much to the shock of the Automotive world . It did well for a long time but of course Ghosn and Renault started shifting the company away from sports orientation and let the car languish . So ya The story is not in when someone does not drive the car but just reads stats like he did.
That was a extremely long winded boring video for that very reason he read stats and had a discussion of stats not even track proven stats just basic stats. Ya it fails hard he fails hard and if you base your decisions on that…. well ya just go test drive one when they hit the showroom floor if you were even considering one in the first place .

I leave my final opinion open till I drive one but ya if you watch the SavageGeese vid where they actually drive the car and test drive it on the track.
Oh and ya I would buy the Performance version for the sake of the parts and ya Supra is ugly IMO, GR86 is cool , Z still looks nicer and if it delivers like the SavageGeese review shows then it’s a winner .
I get it if you really can’t afford a 50k car though. Then go buy the GR86. I did not buy my FiST because it was cheap I bought because it was great. If I could not afford the Z I would not even be engaging you in this convo.

So we can agree to disagree.

Last edited:

ronmcdon

comparo with the Supra, Supra seems to win out.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review.../2023-nissan-z-vs-2022-toyota-supra-compared/

I think the slower acceleration might be more because of the Z's manual transmission. The camaro ss 450ish hp w manual is not far off from the Z.
review also notes maybe the Z wasn't fit with as good tires

crappy things with review is no track testing. also they didn't have the manual transmission supra.
my understanding where the supra falters is it's not a communicative car to drive close to it's limit, and that's where the Z does well.
looking forwards to more comparos and reviews on the Z

Dpro

6000 Post Club
comparo with the Supra, Supra seems to win out.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review.../2023-nissan-z-vs-2022-toyota-supra-compared/

I think the slower acceleration might be more because of the Z's manual transmission. The camaro ss 450ish hp w manual is not far off from the Z.
review also notes maybe the Z wasn't fit with as good tires

crappy things with review is no track testing. also they didn't have the manual transmission supra.
my understanding where the supra falters is it's not a communicative car to drive close to it's limit, and that's where the Z does well.
looking forwards to more comparos and reviews on the Z
Ya this review kinda sucks because of that the SavageGeese review of the Z was cool because they actually drove it on the track and the driver compared it to his experience driving the Supra. Plus they are comparing a GR Supra to a non Nismo. If it was a non GR Supra it would be a better comparo in my eyes. I would like to see a Nismo version of the Z vs a GR Supra.

ronmcdon

idk, I think the price is pretty similar between both cars performance would be comparable if both cars were stick shift.

im not familiar with the S007 tires on the Z, but would suck if nissan skimped on the tires. even the 86 has michelin ps4s.

have a hunch the z may have more potential for the aftermarket. would much rather be able to swap in a set of ohlins or meister r coilovers over adaptive dampers in the supra

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Here’s some more on the Z that I found if anyone is interested?

View: https://youtu.be/XH4E1SEaWV4
looks like it could be interesting but the seem to do a helluva lot of small talk. :ROFLMAO:

Plus once again you have posted a video with a certain amount of speculative assumptions based of what a engineer says . Camissa speculates on what can happen without actually knowing early on then ….
He even speaks hearsay and admits it. Lol he praises BMW’s I am sorry but being a BMW owner and listening to this guy talk about them,.
He claims and I will quote “BMW”s never overheat“ or Blow up, hahahaha tell that to BMW owners who have watched their plastic radiators explode! So much that there is a huge aftermarket for BMW radiators.
Or How about the known BMW in-line six oil pump failures due to bolts backing out?

Or the Vanos failures that happen regularly or the fact that it’s not if your engine blows a headgasket it’s when. Don’t get me started on the problems the BMW V8’s have
Or how about the 3 bolt rear differential? Yes 3 bolt not 4! one bolt up front 2 bolts in the rear that causes the the front bolt to break. or how the rear subframe literally tears itself out the rear shock towers over time on stock 3 series e36 and e46 unless you reinforce them or the Rear trailing arm bushings that fail premature .
Yet he tries to put a BMW in the same class as Porsche ?
It clearly shows he really does not know BMW‘s well. Ya BMW does an excellent job of putting crap parts together into a car that drives great but that’s were it ends . Oh and their current power assist electric steering is number than your teeth after you have snorted a eight of coke.

I just gotta say the more I see this guys vids the more he proves he is more a personality than a expert on cars.
The Supra is a massaged BMW Z4 and with it you get all the BMW problems that BMW’s have . I am just sorry but I am tired of seeing this Zupra nut sucking BS by jounalists that do not know cars beyond driving brand new cars and want to talk about how great they are when they have no real world experience!

At least SavageGeese manages to dig in and learn the in and outs and then does an actual track test drive Camisa is a joke.

Not all youtube guys are this bad but damn….

Last edited:

Mikey456

looks like it could be interesting but the seem to do a helluva lot of small talk. :ROFLMAO:

Plus once again you have posted a video with a certain amount of speculative regardless of what a engineered Camissa speculates on what can happen without actually knowing.
Hey I’m just the messenger lol. It’s not like you want to drive around in the heat with gas at almost 7$ a gallon.

I see yall are comparing z's and supras. Have any of yall watched this on YouTube?

View: https://youtu.be/sRkpQ3SUAdw

What I like the most is he's not biased and comes clean about how not having apples to apples comparison.

For me personally, as a Nissan guy, I'm going with BMW lol.

There's a lot about the new Z that I love, but there's something about a potent straight six that feels and sounds amazing. I've had my fair share of 240s with sr20s and ka-ts, I've also had 350z, so maybe I'm looking for something different thatnwhat I've been running with (kinda why I picked up my fist). Also I think the b58 in the supra is an easier engine to squeeze power out of. All the research I've done the engines are pretty on par stock for stock, but it seems the b58 makes more power with less mods and has an higher ceiling.

Do I plan on going 800whp? No. 500whp? Hell yes. With the b58 all it takes is a single downpipe and a flex fuel tune running e55 and you're making that with close to 600ft/lbs of torque and it screams all the way to redline. The VR30 is a capable motor, but you gotta go fbo and upgrade the hpfp and lpfp, and as we all know shit gets expensive, and until you upgrade turbos, it runs outta steam in the upper rev range.

I will say though, I think in 15-20 years the Z is gonna be a way more appealing car. Also when they drop the Nismo I could flip sides, especially if they get the ol girl to drop 100-200lbs.