Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Newbie looking for advice!

I just got a 2015 FiST with 8800km on it and I'm looking to upgrade the performance. I don't want to open up the engine and would like to stick to "bolt on's" for now. I can't rely on getting higher than 91 octane fuel where I live, so that would be the limit to the tune. I know I'm probably kicking the Hornets nest here, but I have been looking at the Cobb stage 3 power package kit and also the Mountune MR230 kit. Would love to hear comments & observations on those. I also like to know if the LSD upgrade is worth the money? So hit me with your best shot!!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I just got a 2015 FiST with 8800km on it and I'm looking to upgrade the performance. I don't want to open up the engine and would like to stick to "bolt on's" for now. I can't rely on getting higher than 91 octane fuel where I live, so that would be the limit to the tune. I know I'm probably kicking the Hornets nest here, but I have been looking at the Cobb stage 3 power package kit and also the Mountune MR230 kit. Would love to hear comments & observations on those. I also like to know if the LSD upgrade is worth the money? So hit me with your best shot!!
Everything is pretty much bolt on Brodie!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
MRX230 kit....waste of money also....piece your own kit together....if it was me I'd get a RMM of your choice...I prefer Boomba.....a Short shift kit of your choice I prefer mountune. .....a high flow panel filter......then follow it all up with a accessport from Cobb with a flash tune of your choice....Stratified....Dizzy Tuning....Tune+ ......JST....All of them are good....I've have flash tunes by Stratified and a protune done by Jason@dizzytuning for my Gen GTX2860R. An intercooler is always a great upgrade as it allows you to push your tune up and keep heat down. Good luck.....after all that....its BT/ Hybrid time! Whole nother story for another discussion! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
In my opinion a LSD is a fantastic upgrade that many people rule out due to expense. Thing is if you love cornering and having no torque steer than you want a LSD . In my book its almost if not an upgrade that should be done before going to larger or Hybrid Turbo.
+1, and x10,000!

HBEcoBeaST

Honestly the 2 point traction bar and rear torsion bar from TB Performance are EXCELLENT upgrades that give you similar benefits as upgraded sway bars as well as eliminating a lot of torque steer, wheel hop, bump steer and they help get the power to the ground. LSDs are great but lots of $$$ and I would wait until I touched the turbo to do mine (or when/if your clutch goes).

You should definitely upgrade the rear motor mount, get a Cobb AP and tune from a name brand tuner (don't use the cobb tunes the AP comes with they are not much of an upgrade), upgrade your intercooler, then look into other things you want like specific intakes or exhaust. I personally wouldn't touch the downpipe until I switched out the turbo since the cost vs gains isn't that great on a stock turbo.

It's all preference. DO you like noise? Power? Stealth? I love the FiST because there's so many options to create your own unique vehicle that makes YOU happiest.

OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #7
I have pretty much decided on a Whoosh Hybrid Turbo, Catless Downpipe and a V3 Inter Cooler. Of course an Cobb AP. Not sure who's tune I should go with. Not looking for the absolute max HP gain, reliability is just as important, as this will be my summertime daily driver.

I went full COBB S3 bolt-on with a Whoosh Hybrid (w/ turbosmart compliments) and JST e-tune on 93.

I just ordered a Whoosh p&p manifold, front motor mounts, trans mount, and BG syncro shift II fluid.

Also if you go hybrid run Motul 5w-40.

Another good upgrade was dropping to 16" and running 215/45 Federals.

All I can say is not much brings as much joy as driving this car.

OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #9
I am limited to 91 octane where I live. 93 is as scarce as hens teeth. I bought my FiST used with 8700 km (5400 miles) and it came with 195/50R16's, which for the roads around here make for a better ride and handling, mostly because it stays on the ground better....hard to get traction when you are airborne! Also made the speedo accurate.

OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #11
I'm showing my age, Me thinks. Funny, I can remember those old expressions, but I can't remember what it was I went into the basement to get!!!!

My experience is limited compared to a lot of the people here, but what I can tell you is that Whoosh has, so far, been higher quality with a lot of their stuff than Mountune. Ron is a godsend, and I would not hesitate to endorse anything that carries the whoosh brand name. His street spec RMM is the perfect balance of a slight addition of vibration with much improved shift feel and traction, compared to my experience with the mountune RMM. Then again if you want a softer RMM, I do have a rebuilt one that I will be posting for sale shortly.

As far as upgrades go, it depends on what you want to do with the car and how you drive it. I’d wager that 80% of the buyers of a FiST would be pleased as punch with a Cobb AP plus a tune from either Stratified or Dizzy, a RMM upgrade, and a set of good performance tires.

If you plan on making crazy power or you drive it hard 100% of the time absolutely look into supporting mods like an upgraded IC and radiator, these beans run HOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: