Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Not going all the way into reverse

Hey guys, last week the FiST decided it didn't want to have a reverse gear anymore. While I'm a big fan of moving forward, it's kinda inconvenient! I've had this engine, trans, flywheel and clutch in here for about 3k miles now with no issues, but it feels like it just isn't going all the way into reverse now- it grinds like it is just barely touching the gears together when I let off the clutch and the shifter pops back out of reverse. No issues with any other gears, and I already did the cable adjustment procedure twice with no change. Any ideas beyond an internal problem with the transmission? This trans has about 25k miles on it, so I wouldn't expect something to have worn out in there, but I'm not a transmission expert by any means either- power goes in, magic happens, power comes out.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hey guys, last week the FiST decided it didn't want to have a reverse gear anymore. While I'm a big fan of moving forward, it's kinda inconvenient! I've had this engine, trans, flywheel and clutch in here for about 3k miles now with no issues, but it feels like it just isn't going all the way into reverse now- it grinds like it is just barely touching the gears together when I let off the clutch and the shifter pops back out of reverse. No issues with any other gears, and I already did the cable adjustment procedure twice with no change. Any ideas beyond an internal problem with the transmission? This trans has about 25k miles on it, so I wouldn't expect something to have worn out in there, but I'm not a transmission expert by any means either- power goes in, magic happens, power comes out.

Who did the work?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
FiST to death
Thread Starter #4
I'm thinking if I have someone put it as far into the reverse slot as the shifter will go while I'm under the hood, I can disconnect the cable and see if it will go the rest of the way into reverse if I just move the shift lever manually.

OP
FiST to death
Thread Starter #5
I was able to get it into reverse from under the hood with the cables disconnected, but it was harder than it should have been. Waiting on a new shift linkage assembly now, hopefully that was just somehow messed up internally. Already replaced the cables and the shifter itself, so this is apparently the next step.

OP
FiST to death
Thread Starter #7
"Update," it's still at the dealer waiting for the part to arrive. Really glad it's a third vehicle, if I didn't have something else to drive I'd have been without it for 6 weeks now. They were happy to tell me that they checked all the things I told them I'd already checked or replaced and it was only $500 in labor so far, though. Really doing me a favor there. :rolleyes:(n):rolleyes::mad: "Well, we HAD to check those things to make sure this is what it needs!" You know, if you want to check that stuff in case I'm wrong or lying, go for it, but don't charge me for it and pretend you're doing me a favor. If I'd been wrong or screwed something up on my end, I'd be happy to eat the charges and go on my merry way. If I'm right, you've told me absolutely nothing and charged me for it. Should have just kept it in the interim and only parked in pull through spots.

OP
FiST to death
Thread Starter #8
Shockingly, the new part didn't do anything and it can't be returned. I did get them to drop some of the labor charge, largely because the advisor claimed it took 2 hours just to do the cable adjustment- I told her that was strange, because it took me 5 minutes in the driveway with my wife, per the Ford service manual. So, it pretty much has to be an internal problem with the transmission. It only has 25k miles on it, but I guess anything is possible. Very strange, it has absolutely no noise or issue going into any other gears, so I'm hesitant to think something is physically broken in there or I'd think there would be pieces of something jamming up the other gears.

its_stock

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Did you ever find the fix? My trans is doing the exact same thing. It feels like it's engaging but as soon as I let off the clutch a little bit it just kicks out of gear and grinds.