Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

OEM BPV = Recirc Valve? Is a Recirc Valve Better?

I'm kinda new to working on cars, and since this 2014 ST car was a recent purchase, I'm even newer to working on this car.

The previous owner installed a Boomba Blow Off Valve on the car. My questions are as follows:

1) Is/was the oem BPV a recirculating valve? Are they the same thing? If not, does a recirc valve offer better performance? If so, what recirc valve would you recommend?

2) This current Boomba BOV is loud (and just hilariously stupid and fun), but is it also reducing performance? I feel like recirculating the air as opposed to just venting it into atmosphere wold be more efficient and therefore offer better performance; even if only nominally. Thoughts?

3) If the oem valve is preferred to a recirc valve (or they're in fact the same thing), I'm assuming I'll need to pick up the shorter missing oem bolts from the hardware store to get it back on there after removing the Boomba BOV. What length are they? My googling came up with an M6 x 17mm long bolt. Is this correct?

Thanks!

OP
stash3630
Thread Starter #3
The OEM is recirculating, and retains the filtered air, meaning that air does not need to be drawn through the filter again.
OEM BPV = Recirc, got it. Thanks!

1) This current Boomba BOV is loud (and just hilariously stupid and fun), but is it also reducing performance? I feel like recirculating the air as opposed to just venting it into atmosphere wold be more efficient and therefore offer better performance; even if only nominally. Thoughts?
That said, what's y'alls take or opinions on the performance of the Boomba BOV vs OEM BPV?

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I thought the boomba was merely a spacer that allowed a vent to atmosphere for the sound.

As far as performance recirc might keep your boost from dropping off a little bit say when rowing through your gears. How much? I have no clue.

I changed to a vent to atmosphere vacuum actuated bov and relocated to the symposer port on the cold pipe. I read that having your bov closer to the throttle body is ideal also it's SO much easier to access now.

I opted to stay with a recirculating BOV now that I'm going S280, I could never get a hard answer on the theoretical performance loss (Though I rationally understand that dumping the air means more air required through the intake) and because I have yet to hear most of the VTA BOVs in person and the videos on line sound too... bus like for my tastes. Unless they have mad compressor surge, which I like but that is also performance loss. Ultimately, won't matter on a stock turbo and no one I see has complained about loss of performance even on a big turbo. And it's easy enough to get to especially with a symposer relocation, so replacement is just a matter of dropping $150-200 if you don't like it.