Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

OEM Flywheel out of stock nationwide

So like a great number of folks here, I have now suffered the dreaded non-returning clutch pedal. And took my 2014 FiST (59k, out of warranty) to the dealer to see about having it repaired. They diagnosed it as a failed master cylinder but are proposing changing out the master, slave, flywheel, and some of the hoses between because they claim that's the recommended course of action for this. However, they tried to order the Fidenza aluminum flywheel and told me it would be a fine substitute for OEM. I have argued with them about this and rejected the part as not an acceptable replacement. But there are no OEM flywheels available. I'm honestly not sure what to do next. I don't want a lightweight flywheel (I'm not interested in all that comes with that).

If I can source a used OEM flywheel they'll install it, but then they won't guarantee/warranty any of the work. Any of y'all have any ideas or leads on how long it might take for the flywheels to return to being in stock?

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
So like a great number of folks here, I have now suffered the dreaded non-returning clutch pedal. And took my 2014 FiST (59k, out of warranty) to the dealer to see about having it repaired. They diagnosed it as a failed master cylinder but are proposing changing out the master, slave, flywheel, and some of the hoses between because they claim that's the recommended course of action for this. However, they tried to order the Fidenza aluminum flywheel and told me it would be a fine substitute for OEM. I have argued with them about this and rejected the part as not an acceptable replacement. But there are no OEM flywheels available. I'm honestly not sure what to do next. I don't want a lightweight flywheel (I'm not interested in all that comes with that).

If I can source a used OEM flywheel they'll install it, but then they won't guarantee/warranty any of the work. Any of y'all have any ideas or leads on how long it might take for the flywheels to return to being in stock?
That sucks, but supply issues are world wide. I ordered Sound deadening from Sound skins, they just told me their inventory is sitting in a cargo ship outside the harbor in Cally, due to Covid bullshit. Two weeks for delivery. As a thought, can't the dealership resurface your old flywheel, or you go get it and take to a machine shop.

OP
gamecat235
Thread Starter #3
That sucks, but supply issues are world wide. I ordered Sound deadening from Sound skins, they just told me their inventory is sitting in a cargo ship outside the harbor in Cally, due to Covid bullshit. Two weeks for delivery. As a thought, can't the dealership resurface your old flywheel, or you go get it and take to a machine shop.
dealer is refusing to resurface the flywheel (“we can’t resurface dual mass flywheels”). I’m not sure how legit that is. Have other people had their OEM FiST flywheels resurfaced successfully?

The service manual has a long list of what not to do with the flywheel, see the last item
NOTE: Do not clean the dual mass flywheel with compressed air.

NOTE: Do not clean the dual mass flywheel with any kind of fluid, use a dry cloth only or damage to the dual mass flywheel may occur.

NOTE: Do not clean the gap between the primary and secondary mass. Only clean the bolt connection surface and the clutch surface or damage to the dual mass flywheel may occur.

NOTE: The dual mass flywheel cannot be machined.

OP
gamecat235
Thread Starter #5
The service manual has a long list of what not to do with the flywheel, see the last item
That would be the one. Thanks for pointing that out. Given the susceptibility to damage, I’m guessing that sourcing a used one from a scrap yard or a part out vehicle probably has a fair amount of risk as well.

Some time ago there was a compatible product from XClutch. It featured a single mass flywheel that did not seem ridiculously lightened and a sprung clutch. Some folks here reported it feeling pretty similar to stock setup. Don't see it on Whoosh, but maybe it's still in stock somewhere. AFAIK the only recommendation with that was to go with OEM slave cylinder instead of the included one.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
They actually make a specialized tool to check the dual mass flywheel to see if it actually needs to be replaced. Are they claiming that your dual mass flywheel is damaged?

I have said this before and I will say it again unless the flywheel is damaged you do not need to replace it.

The dealership should be able to give you an idea when they could get a OEM part. My only suggestion would be to call some of the online Ford part dealers and see what they say. This only applies if your dual mass flywheel is actually damaged.

View: https://youtu.be/joe3x_e6ug4

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

haste

1000 Post Club
I re-used my DMF after 85K miles of use. It BARELY met the reuse guidelines laid out in the service manual. I drive it hard, it's seen track days and some autocrossing. I've put approx 7500 more miles on it since reuse without any problems.

I work on heavy duty trucks(Volvo) and they also have the same rule with dual mass flywheels. No machining, but can reused if within spec.

Lays

I re-used my DMF after 85K miles of use. It BARELY met the reuse guidelines laid out in the service manual. I drive it hard, it's seen track days and some autocrossing. I've put approx 7500 more miles on it since reuse without any problems.

I work on heavy duty trucks(Volvo) and they also have the same rule with dual mass flywheels. No machining, but can reused if within spec.

How did you check to see if it met the guidelines?

I have a $730 combined new OEM slave + Spec stage 3+ clutch collecting dust, because I can't get an OEM flywheel anywhere, they've been backordered and out of stock since like May :(

Magnetic

Damn and I was just putting a new clutch, flywheel and slave on the list for a wavetrack diff. SMH. It's 2 months or 3 out but with my luck they'll still be out of stock.

haste

1000 Post Club
How did you check to see if it met the guidelines?

I have a $730 combined new OEM slave + Spec stage 3+ clutch collecting dust, because I can't get an OEM flywheel anywhere, they've been backordered and out of stock since like May :(
SECTION 303-01B of the service manual.

ronmcdon

Some time ago there was a compatible product from XClutch. It featured a single mass flywheel that did not seem ridiculously lightened and a sprung clutch. Some folks here reported it feeling pretty similar to stock setup. Don't see it on Whoosh, but maybe it's still in stock somewhere. AFAIK the only recommendation with that was to go with OEM slave cylinder instead of the included one.
I think Ron stopped selling them as the torque load it could take on got reduced significantly to closer to 300-330 lbs/ft (exactly what amount I forget). Originally it was maybe closer to 400 lbs of torque. I have the original clutch w/ slightly lightened flywheel and it works great for daily and track use in HPDE and autoX. Note however Im just running COBB ots stage 2 tune (using stock turbo and all bolt ons sans high flow downpipe).
I think it's still worthwhile if you don't plan on making a lot of power on it. MFactory might still sell it, but you would have to check in with them directly

http://www.teammfactory.com/catalog/xclutch/racing-clutch-kit/Ford/Fiesta

Lays

I think Ron stopped selling them as the torque load it could take on got reduced significantly to closer to 300-330 lbs/ft (exactly what amount I forget). Originally it was maybe closer to 400 lbs of torque. I have the original clutch w/ slightly lightened flywheel and it works great for daily and track use in HPDE and autoX. Note however Im just running COBB ots stage 2 tune (using stock turbo and all bolt ons sans high flow downpipe).
I think it's still worthwhile if you don't plan on making a lot of power on it. MFactory might still sell it, but you would have to check in with them directly

http://www.teammfactory.com/catalog/xclutch/racing-clutch-kit/Ford/Fiesta

I don't think they changed their part numbers either, they just started shipping people lesser quality units, and the price didn't go down either I don't think. Pretty messed up IMO.

ronmcdon

Hmm that's why would call M Factory and double check just in case. I trust M Factory is a stand up business and would wager they wouldn't risk their reputation if Xclutch isn't being transparent about their product.
Not sure if there's any lack of transparency with Xclutch but yes it does suck that they're offering a lesser product at the same price.
Yes and totally agreed Xclutch should have changed part numbers, that is confusing not good customer service.
The only other alternative that I'm aware of is the RST clutch Whoosh sells which is also with a single mass flywheel, but not sure there's a lot of feedback on that.

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...performance-hd-clutch-kit-2014-2019-fiesta-st