Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil catch can/Separator

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Hey Dave, are you at all concerned about boost pressure on the can? I have an additional check valve that I'm going to fit between the intake manifold and the can. Corksport over on Mazdaspeed forums had their catch cans exploding like party poppers lol.

I also finally ordered my additional PCV hose today. I'll put up some pics of my job.
NO, I am not concerned at all.
The can I am using is billet aluminum and the plastic OEM hoses would defiantly pop first.
The original OEM hose had no check valve, so I see no reason to put one in the same hose.

Dave

Last edited:

XuperXero

Update on catch cans... FYI I have clear tubes on my catch can, there's decent amount of blow by. Got curious... decided to check the second PCV tube, and guess what, nice puddle of oil in the intake tube. Currently thinking of ways to route both into the catch can...

If you read the thread, you would have this information already...
Have you always been this helpful or did you have to work on it? The tube coming off the intake is not a pcv valve it's just a vent line that feeds fresh air to the crank case. The oil in the vent line near th intake would be from oil splash from the valve train.

HaveBlue83

Have you always been this helpful or did you have to work on it? The tube coming off the intake is not a pcv valve it's just a vent line that feeds fresh air to the crank case. The oil in the vent line near th intake would be from oil splash from the valve train.
1. They made a nice detailed pic of this. With colorful arrows and all. It should be on the first page.
2. All the lines are part of the pcv system.
3. Lol it doesnt FEED the crank case fresh air. Quite the opposite. The crankcase pushes oily air out from excess pressure and (for emissions purposes) the intake tract sucks it back in. Hence the closed system.
4. You sjould be able to run. The intake tract line to a vent or to the catch can. Myself, id vent the intake line and run the main pcv lines to a can.

You wouldn't need a second catch can a simple inline filter would work fine, on eighties gm cars with throttle body injection all they used was a simple breather element whose material was very close to a cheap furnace air filter.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
There is already a factory Crankcase Vent Oil Separator.

It is what the second PCV hose attaches to.
So no additional Catch Cans or connections should be necessary.

Dave

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
In addition the Turbo/Compressor hard pipe offers little if any restriction or noise suppression.
Therefore it is believed by some people that this pipe is primarily used as an oil trap.
Ford however does say that it is for noise suppression.

If it does trap any oil it is very simple to clean and could be done at the same time you change your oil.

Dave

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I thought this oil separator went to the valve or cam cover. But will double check later .

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Yes Rod,
Please edit your post as it is hard to read. [mecry]

OK, I got it but had to read it about 6 times. [twothumb]

Dave

Spoke to Jay at Finsport. They are developing a plug and play catch can for our cars, to be released soon.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Spoke to Jay at Finsport. They are developing a plug and play catch can for our cars, to be released soon.
I already plugged mine in and I am going to play this weekend.

Dave

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
So only one can is required, right where the m7 can is installed?
If so im on it like a fat kid on cake, as i have 21k km on my FiST.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
So only one can is required, right where the m7 can is installed?
If so im on it like a fat kid on cake, as i have 21k km on my FiST.
I assume that you have read this thread.

Turbo cars, in the past, have been known to produce more blow by than NA cars.

The FiST already has vent hose going to a built in oil separator .
However the FiST also has the normal PCV hose venting to the intake.
Some of us prefer to provide additional protection by putting a catch can in the PCV hose.

The answer to your question would be , yes, only one would be needed.
Frankly I haven't a clue as to where or why you would connect a second can.

Dave

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
for black magic defense.

i know about CC, just saw what looked like more than 1 vent system in the figs. provided. just making sure i only needed the one where i saw the M7 installed.

thanks for the info

XuperXero

That diagram doesn't make sense. The second PCV is connected directly to the intake tube. When I disconnected it on the intake side, there was oil residue...