Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Catch Can

Hello All,

Being our cars are direct injected. What is everyone’s thoughts and experiences with an oil catch can? Is it really needed, work well and if so which brand is best for our cars and does it help with carbon build up? Looking forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts and feedback.

VirtualRonin

Active Military
I would recommend one. Unless you're running 4 port aux fuel then you don't necessarily need one but still doesn't hurt to have.

With the stock setup, oil vapors are allowed to recirculate back into the intake manifold from the PCV which is the most common place to install a catch can. A secondary location to install a catch can would be the crank case vent. The crank case vent sends oil vapor back into the intake crossover tube. Some vendors offer a catch can kit for both the crank case vent and the PCV.

I've had 2 brands of catch cans, Mishimoto and Damond, and recently ordered the full Radium kit from Mountune.

The Mishimoto catch can itself was pretty well made but I didn't like the mounting bracket or the silicone hoses. The silicone hoses are not good to use with oil or fuel and mine actually started gathering oil vapors on the lines which was somewhat annoying. I did end up filing a defective claim with Mishimoto and they sent me brand new silicone hoses but I think the actual problem was with the hose material. See this article for reference: https://www.siliconehose.com/blog/silicone-vs-rubber-hose/

The Damond Motorsports kit is a simple but effective design that uses rubber hoses and comes with a check valve and a drain which is nice (a drain kit is not included with the Mishimoto kit but is an option for extra cost). For these reasons, I would recommend the Damond Motorsport kit as the best entry level option.

The full Radium kit includes separate catch cans for the PCV and crank case vent. I believe this is the most complete and best engineered option. Also the most expensive. A nice touch is that the catch cans have dip sticks built in to check the fluid level in the can. The drain kit is an option and does cost extra. I recently ordered the full kit so I'll do a mini review once I get it installed.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #3
I would recommend one. Unless you're running 4 port aux fuel then you don't necessarily need one but still doesn't hurt to have.

With the stock setup, oil vapors are allowed to recirculate back into the intake manifold from the PCV which is the most common place to install a catch can. A secondary location to install a catch can would be the crank case vent. The crank case vent sends oil vapor back into the intake crossover tube. Some vendors offer a catch can kit for both the crank case vent and the PCV.

I've had 2 brands of catch cans, Mishimoto and Damond, and recently ordered the full Radium kit from Mountune.

The Mishimoto catch can itself was pretty well made but I didn't like the mounting bracket or the silicone hoses. The silicone hoses are not good to use with oil or fuel and mine actually started gathering oil vapors on the lines which was somewhat annoying. I did end up filing a defective claim with Mishimoto and they sent me brand new silicone hoses but I think the actual problem was with the hose material. See this article for reference: https://www.siliconehose.com/blog/silicone-vs-rubber-hose/

The Damond Motorsports kit is a simple but effective design that uses rubber hoses and comes with a check valve and a drain which is nice (a drain kit is not included with the Mishimoto kit but is an option for extra cost). For these reasons, I would recommend the Damond Motorsport kit.

The full Radium kit includes separate catch cans for the PCV and crank case vent. I believe this is the most complete and best engineered option. Also the most expensive. A nice touch is that the catch cans have dip sticks built in to check the fluid level in the can. The drain kit is an option and does cost extra. I recently ordered the full kit so I'll do a mini review once I get it installed.

Hope that helps!

Absolutely does help and thank you for the information and you insight.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I have the Radium PCV kit and like it a lot. The dip stick is very helpful, and, in a pinch, you can drain it via the dip stick hole with a straw or small diameter tubing. However, I haven't found a way to mount the drain kit that I'm happy with, so save yourself some money and skip it.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club

The Damond Motorsports kit is a simple but effective design that uses rubber hoses and comes with a check valve and a drain which is nice (a drain kit is not included with the Mishimoto kit but is an option for extra cost). For these reasons, I would recommend the Damond Motorsport kit as the best entry level option.

Hope that helps!

When talking about the Mishimoto OCC, is the v1 or the updated version? Thanks!

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Yeah I heard it had some issues before. Do you think that the new bracket would fix the issues you described?
I'm not sure TBH. My issue with the V1 bracket is that it was somewhat flimsy. Plus the catch can loosened up and turned in the slotted mounting holes but other than that I didn't experience any major failures or anything.

Hopefully someone can chime in that has the newest version and can answer your question. This a newer post so I'd give it a day or two and you'll probably see a lot more posts and opinions.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
I'm not sure TBH. My issue with the V1 bracket is that it was somewhat flimsy. Plus the catch can loosened up and turned in the slotted mounting holes but other than that I didn't experience any major failures or anything.

Hopefully someone can chime in that has the newest version and can answer your question. This a newer post so I'd give it a day or two and you'll probably see a lot more posts and opinions.

Probably gonna just get the Dammond simply for the drain pipe, still great product though!

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Def recommend. Tons of articles about it. I bought a used Mishi with v2 bracket and the silicone hoses suck... as that site says:
DRAWBACKS OF SILICONE
Permeability to oil and fuel
The molecular structure of silicone doesn’t play well with oil, fuel, and other oil-based products. We do not recommend using silicone hoses for any applications where they will come in contact with fuel or oil.
------------------------
I'm going to replace them with standard rubber hoses soon.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Def recommend. Tons of articles about it. I bought a used Mishi with v2 bracket and the silicone hoses suck... as that site says:
DRAWBACKS OF SILICONE
Permeability to oil and fuel
The molecular structure of silicone doesn’t play well with oil, fuel, and other oil-based products. We do not recommend using silicone hoses for any applications where they will come in contact with fuel or oil.
------------------------
I'm going to replace them with standard rubber hoses soon.
The amount of vacuum pressure though the PCV side is quite strong; standard rubber hoses will collapse and limit the flow. Try to get the most rigid, reinforced hoses available. Continental makes good ones

Probably gonna just get the Dammond simply for the drain pipe, still great product though!
The Damond works great. Collected ~3oz. of fluid over 3000 miles. I leave the hose off the drain nipple and only connect it when doing my oil change since I couldn't find a good way to route it. Easy enuf to reach up and push into place while under the car. I've got medium sized hands and can reach around/beneath the canister from above to open/close the drain valve. After collecting the contents in a water bottle, I left the cap loose for a few days so I could see how much of it evaporated as condensation. It's very dry here, so.... Verdict was that the amount in the bottle had no discernible change, meaning it's mostly oil;)(y)

I'm still planning on getting a Radium crankcase side occ. From what I've researched, adding it should help in maintaining the proper octane rating as less oil vapor is mixing with the intake air. It's affect is probably minimal at best, but whatever:p The gas we have here isn't known to be the greatest and I need to continue modding!:D