Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Indicator Light

Does the Fiesta ST have an oil indicator light? It's been about six thousand miles and a year and a half since oil has been changed. Is it possible I did damage by waiting this long?

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Some have it, some don't. Mine does not have the light (I have a 2016). I recommend you change your oil immediately to a high quality GDI - specific oil. There are a bunch of threads on this forum discussing oil. Your 6K mile oil change interval isn't bad but by waiting 1.5 years, there is likely a lot of fuel in your oil, which makes the oil less effective and can cause increased wear on bearings and cylinder walls. This is part of the reason why most manufactures specify changing it every 6 months if you don't drive much like you.

OP
T
Thread Starter #3
Some have it, some don't. Mine does not have the light (I have a 2016). I recommend you change your oil immediately to a high quality GDI - specific oil. There are a bunch of threads on this forum discussing oil. Your 6K mile oil change interval isn't bad but by waiting 1.5 years, there is likely a lot of fuel in your oil, which makes the oil less effective and can cause increased wear on bearings and cylinder walls. This is part of the reason why most manufactures specify changing it every 6 months if you don't drive much like you.
Thank you. There is also a scraping/dragging sound coming from underneath the car when coming to a slow stop, visually I don't see anything underneath the car. Is it possible this could be related to low oil?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thank you. There is also a scraping/dragging sound coming from underneath the car when coming to a slow stop, visually I don't see anything underneath the car. Is it possible this could be related to low oil?
It's conceivable, but I had a similar issue and they swapped my axles under warranty. The sound is still there ever so slightly, I suspect wheel bearing or CV joint.

The easiest way to tell if it's engine related is see if it's bound to RPM - if you are putting along hearing the sound, clutch in and rev it a bit and see if the sound changes. If the sound is unchanged, it's unlikely your engine itself.

OP
T
Thread Starter #5
It's conceivable, but I had a similar issue and they swapped my axles under warranty. The sound is still there ever so slightly, I suspect wheel bearing or CV joint.

The easiest way to tell if it's engine related is see if it's bound to RPM - if you are putting along hearing the sound, clutch in and rev it a bit and see if the sound changes. If the sound is unchanged, it's unlikely your engine itself.
My car is currently under warranty but it's been a year and a half since oil has been changed. If I take it to the dealer to have checked and they find something they could fix that is under warranty, could they deny doing the service because the vehicle has not been properly maintained due to the length of time in between oil changes?

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
My car is currently under warranty but it's been a year and a half since oil has been changed. If I take it to the dealer to have checked and they find something they could fix that is under warranty, could they deny doing the service because the vehicle has not been properly maintained due to the length of time in between oil changes?
Do a fresh oil change yourself and then bring the car in if you prefer to have the dealership look for the noise.

If they ask why they haven’t seen you in awhile. Say you did a few oil changes yourself. Otherwise, no need to bring up the oil change interval at all.

If you want to look for the noise yourself. We need more detail to help you. Does it happen when you brake only? In gear vs out of gear? What about rolling on the highway in neutral? Lots of things to check and then report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Number one check your oil.
Number 2 why aren't you doing proper maintenance?
My car has had three oil changes in 8,000 miles. Even if you don't drive a lot at the very minimum you should change your oil once a year.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Your car monitors mileage and engine use and calculates when an oil change should be done. A yellow "wrench" should appear. Almost everyone does more frequent oil changes based on either time or mileage. You must reset it manually. Page 186 in 2019 manual.....183 in 2016.

Your car monitors mileage and engine use and calculates when an oil change should be done. A yellow "wrench" should appear. Almost everyone does more frequent oil changes based on either time or mileage. You must reset it manually. Page 186 in 2019 manual.....183 in 2016.
They don’t all do this for whatever reason. I’ve had my car since December 2013 and the yellow wrench light has never come on except for briefly when I start the engine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
They don’t all do this for whatever reason. I’ve had my car since December 2013 and the yellow wrench light has never come on except for briefly when I start the engine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Can only speak for the 2016 to 2019........Manual also shows a wrench for check engine on some cars......I'm thinking base cars.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
My 16's oil change wrench turns on well after 10k miles. Next time I need to log when I reset it to see if i can get an exact period it does it.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
My 16's oil change wrench turns on well after 10k miles. Next time I need to log when I reset it to see if i can get an exact period it does it.
I think in 35K mile I have reset mine 3 times........I do 4k changes so wrench is just ignored.