Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil information: NOACK and SAPS

Yes and no. It's for new oil. That said if the base oil is more volatile then what it carries is as so. It ALL burns off easier right?

I'm just going to drop this here and research it later. 5.9L Cummins owners, 12V &24V in particular (myself included) complain of heavy oil fumes when the oil is changed/new. How would this relate to oil specifications and qualities? The forums suggest a less direct path for the valve cover fumes disposal tube to atmosphere, but don't really suggest one oil over another.

I'm just going to drop this here and research it later. 5.9L Cummins owners, 12V &24V in particular (myself included) complain of heavy oil fumes when the oil is changed/new. How would this relate to oil specifications and qualities? The forums suggest a less direct path for the valve cover fumes disposal tube to atmosphere, but don't really suggest one oil over another.
From what I've experienced and read brands and types of oil probably wouldn't matter much. However, there is one paper out there (I don't have it handy at the moment) that suggests viscosity index improvers/modyfiers/polymers improve ring seal and thereby in theory reduce blow by and fuel dilution. Obviously these come with drawbacks such as making the oil more shear prone and the potential for increased deposits though the latter isn't much an issue with modern VII's from what I have read and been told. Case in point in the deposit issue my RX8 had much less soot on the exhaust outlets with GTX 10w40 versus 5w20 with the 10w40 clearly having more VII's. Hope that helps.

Bought oil for my first oil change. Planning to do it at 2k KM. Thanks to this thread, I knew which oil to get. Normally a 5L jug here in Canada is like $55, today it was on sale for $30.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I did my first change at around 300 miles, second around 1k and third around 2k miles but my car has seen some pretty serious use since 1k miles or so and just 2.2k on it, I may be off on the miles but it is on the 3rd change. I do not expect the engine to last really long anyway but at least awhile as the little bugger gets and will get even more of a workout regularly.

I changed out (assuming) dealer-installed 5W20 semi-synth Motorcraft for 5W20 Mobil1 at 4,000 miles. The MC oil was quite fuel-diluted IMO for just being changed a few hundred miles prior to me buying the car. I changed to Amsoil Signature 5W20 at 6,500 miles last week and the Mobil1 was fuel-diluted as well. Hopefully the Amsoil fares better. No Blackstone data, just my nose.
I believe the Blow-by on the ST's is returned to the crankcase by Ford's built in oil separator to help prevent carbon build up. So yeah, you're going to get a bit of fuel mixed in with the oil if you're not running the car in a spirited manner every now and again. Stop and Go and short-trips are generally bad. That might be remedied somewhat by adding an aftermarket oil separator and checking it once a month. But no matter what you do, some is going to get through.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Awesome! Looks like there was still quite a bit of life left in that oil. I wish more people would use UOA's instead of relying on the old-school 3k mentality.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Has anyone found additional data on any other oils not yet on my spreadsheet? Or maybe filled in some of the blanks?

I'm on the Ford Semi-Synth right now and my next oil change by their 7500mi interval is not until July or another 6k miles.

I'd like to switch to something fully-synthetic and do so at about 5k into the semi-synth which would be at about 12,800mi.

Any suggestions?

I am thinking between these three:
  1. Valvoline Synpower - (actually has SAPS data)
  2. Castrol Edge - (great TEOST and average NOACK but no SAPS numbers)
  3. Amsoil Signature Full Synthetic - (lowest NOACK and good TEOST but no SAPS)

Wasn't certain where this was applicable, but another search point on DI deposit issues. Of note regarding oil is another reference indicating conventional/mineral oil being a potentially mitigating option for deposit control. I'd temper this with the paper's indications though. Still good food for though or wood for the fire.

www.pecj.or.jp/japanese/overseas/conference/pdf/conference12-19.pdf

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Has anyone found additional data on any other oils not yet on my spreadsheet? Or maybe filled in some of the blanks?

I'm on the Ford Semi-Synth right now and my next oil change by their 7500mi interval is not until July or another 6k miles.

I'd like to switch to something fully-synthetic and do so at about 5k into the semi-synth which would be at about 12,800mi.

Any suggestions?

I am thinking between these three:
  1. Valvoline Synpower - (actually has SAPS data)
  2. Castrol Edge - (great TEOST and average NOACK but no SAPS numbers)
  3. Amsoil Signature Full Synthetic - (lowest NOACK and good TEOST but no SAPS)
Check on the oil analysis thread for my results. I'm at 20K with Amsoil and everything is looking good. $7.00 per quart, but it works well.