Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Life reset through FORScan

My 2014 Fiesta ST has had the oil change wrench light on for the last two months now, and I cannot get my car to reset the oil life monitor. I've been trying the brake+gas pedal reset procedure on and off since August when I did the last oil change and I've had no luck resetting the light, even after uninstalling my Cobb AP and tune.

I've had that wrench light go on for codes in the past (cruise control switch) so I bought a cable and FORScan to triple check to make sure that wrench isn't for any codes and I'm not seeing any codes for anything. So I know the wrench light is for the oil change.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to reset the oil life monitor or just disable it entirely through FORScan.

OP
Questionable
Thread Starter #2
Well, I just learned from a Reddit thread that Cobb updated the AccessPort firmware in June to add a "Reset Oil Life" option. It's in the Troubleshooting menu, and resetting the oil life monitor has removed the wrench light. It was only available in the latest OTS tune from Cobb for me, but my other tunes are from a few years ago.

So I guess I didn't need FORScan for this particular problem after all.

the duke

This has to be a setting in FORSCAN to shut this off. Does anyone have the node/method for it?

I've put 40,000 km on my 2014 fiesta st over the past 3 years and I've never had an oil change light come on. I did buy it already tuned though so I've always presumed the custom tune turned off the oil change light somehow.

How does the light work, is it based on distance traveled or is there a sensor somewhere that detects the oil is dirty somehow??

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^As far as I know, only Bimmers have any type of sensor which actually 'tastes' the oil to determine contamination/dilution/acidity/etc. to set an oil change light, but [dunno].

Ours is NOT an in-the-oil sensor triggered light, but uses some sort of algorithm/program which factors in mileage since last reset, average engine revs over time, and whatever else from the ECM in order to determine whether or not to set the light.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
^^^As far as I know, only Bimmers have any type of sensor which actually 'tastes' the oil to determine contamination/dilution/acidity/etc. to set an oil change light, but [dunno].

Ours is NOT an in-the-oil sensor triggered light, but uses some sort of algorithm/program which factors in mileage since last reset, average engine revs over time, and whatever else from the ECM in order to determine whether or not to set the light.
I just had to do the reset on my old Focus (Ti not ST). Was thinking I'd be better served tracking the mileage without the "interference" from the indicator. It's not synced up with my changes whatsoever and takes me by surprise when its not due.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I just had to do the reset on my old Focus (Ti not ST). Was thinking I'd be better served tracking the mileage without the "interference" from the indicator. It's not synced up with my changes whatsoever and takes me by surprise when its not due.
Same here, as sometimes it comes on 100 miles AFTER I change the oil, since I do not bother to reset it at all right after an oil change.

I just don't pay attention to it, and simply reset it when it does light up.

Now, the TPMS flashing cluster lights/chimes DO bother me, as none of my current use wheel setups have sensors in them, so when I get around to it, that whole program is being FORSCANNED OUT.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Same here, as sometimes it comes on 100 miles AFTER I change the oil, since I do not bother to reset it at all right after an oil change.

I just don't pay attention to it, and simply reset it when it does light up.

Now, the TPMS flashing cluster lights/chimes DO bother me, as none of my current use wheel setups have sensors in them, so when I get around to it, that whole program is being FORSCANNED OUT.
That's an easy fix, just deleted that the other day along with the shift up indicator.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If I recall, FiST is set to guesstimate to 10K miles or 10 months. But it depends on how hard you drive your car. In 4 yrs I have only seen the light once, so I know it is not an exact system
Yes, as I rarely go much past 4K miles on an OCI, it is basically useless to me.

I am only at ~2K miles, but 6 months time, into my current OCI and already itching to change it out due to winter fuel dilution/short tripping, despite that the oil I use can fully handle those negative conditions, TBN wise.

Fiestig

Thats the weird part about our system. I have never gone past 3k even though I use royal purple and it came on in I think 2018. No idea why. Just reset and and went about my day. But so many other makes are set to exact mileage traveled which is nice for a lot of people

SteveS

1000 Post Club
If the system in the Fiesta is the same as in the F150, it bases the oil change interval on a 10,000 mile interval, but hard driving or heavy loads can reduce it. I've seen the time to oil change (which I can monitor from the dash screen or the FordPass app) drop sharply when towing a trailer, for example.

Changing the oil early but not resetting the indicator will result in the oil change light coming on based on your original oil mileage because the system has no idea you've changed the oil.

the duke

That shouldn't matter, there is a method to reset the counter. That method no longer works and I'm sick of having the reminder show up on my screen every time i start the car.

There's no known way to turn this off in FORSCAN?

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
That shouldn't matter, there is a method to reset the counter. That method no longer works and I'm sick of having the reminder show up on my screen every time i start the car.

There's no known way to turn this off in FORSCAN?
An Accessport can reset the light. Also make sure your car is not in gear, needs to be in neutral when you do the pedal dance.

the duke

An Accessport can reset the light. Also make sure your car is not in gear, needs to be in neutral when you do the pedal dance.
I know an accessport can do that. I have the MP215 kit and that option is locked out. This is why I'm asking for a method in FORSCAN.